Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curious what others think of Nashville BMW Service

My Cars
    '91 735i, '88 I90E

Question Curious what others think of Nashville BMW Service

I've been in there several times over the last week re: purchase/inspection/service of a '01 740iL and the service side seems WAY over capacity. It's impressive they are doing that much business but my first impression is that the customer service might leave much to be desired? Don't want to jump to unfair conclusion but am asking as I'm about to dive in on another 7-series under 100K miles and was considering moving my maintenance business to them (currently using another independent in town). Also, if anyone knows of quality shops that are authorized to do BMW work in Nashville, would like to hear from you. Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    1997 318ti Sport, Black
    The only work I've had them do was the installation of some tires so I don't have much input to offer there, but I do know a good indy mechanic. PM me if you'd like the info.
    DON'T HATE THE HATCH!
    From Page 68 of the 1997 318ti Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."

My Cars
    1968 Austin Mini 1380cc
    I think they have been good so far for my fam

My Cars
    '91 735i, '88 I90E
    Thanks for your thoughts you two - I'm going to give them a run this weekend. I heard that Auto-tech Imports on Fesslers is the real deal...amd there is a singular fellow on River Road in West Nashville. So, I'll be checking them out after the pre-buy inspection at BMW Nashville.

My Cars
    1994 E36 Coupe
    My first and main recommendation is Autohaus in downtown Nashville, ask for Jamie. Their customers are not your run of the mill BMW owners, most of them are 70's-90's model BMW owners who appreciate serious attention to detail when it comes to their babies, though they do work on newer (mostly European and other non-american built, luxory/sport) cars as well.

I've driven my E36 (and previous E34) there on several occasions just to have Jamie pull it on the lift and point me in right directions since he knows I do most of my own mechanic work.

I've also heard Aikens is a good mechanic shop, but I have no pervious experience with them -- just word of mouth.

I've heard great things about Treehouse Racing in Nashville, and while I don't have any first hand experience with their mechanical work (they do build impressive race cars), I'm not a fan of how the owner treated me in a deal we had worked out and he backed out, so I'm a bit skeptical of the rest.

Good luck on your search, finding good work without the hefty price-tag is quite the feat for us BMW owners.

My Cars
    FJ,Tahoe, F800GS,Piaggio
    Aiken= typical tire-shop mentality. (You need this and that, etc.)
    Treehouse is solid. Have heard nothing but good about them.
    I like the recluse, Konrad. He's a one-man show out on River Road, but is very knowledgeable fair and detail oriented.
    shopping... F30, Sportline, Silver, Red...

My Cars
    driveway.jpg
    A good friend of mine, Erik, used to work at Akin. I know he does good work, however, he doesnt work there any longer. I'm sure Akin is up to the task of whatever you want them to do, I know Al Akin is a great guy, however I've never had anyone other than Erik do any work on my car (which was installing a windshield).

I know Treehouse Racing does good work too, however, Rob Case, another friend of mine, recently left. I cant tell you anything else about the other members there, I dont know any of them.

I've heard good and bad about Konrad.

My Cars
    FJ,Tahoe, F800GS,Piaggio
    ..of course I do most of my own stuff...but Aiken did my suspension.

My Cars
    driveway.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    ..of course I do most of my own stuff...but Aiken did my suspension.
    Thats good to hear. Since my windshield, I've done everything myself.
    I'm pretty much not affraid to tackle anything now. Literally anything...
    After this motor swap, its all easy.

My Cars
    2000 323i, 1983 320is,
    Bmw of Nashville is great if you have connections or you appear/do have money.
    Not bashing, but me and many friends(some serious buyers, and some just wanting info) have been treated like we were 5 year olds wanting to buy a Ferrari. As a result, i don't give them my money unless nessecary.

Aiken, Autohaus, Treehouse are good from what I've heard.(autohaus did charge me 1200 replacing parts trying to find the problem while still not solving it.)

I'll put in another plug for Konrad. He's VERY easy on the wallet if you have a basic e36. But like every shop, you pull up with a nice car/ nice accessories, it most likely means you have money and don't mind spending it on your car.

My Cars
    '91 735i, '88 I90E

Here's what I found out re: Nashville BMW and 2001 740iL I am looking at

Last weekend I took a car on Craigslist (Nashville #463254290)
    to Nashville BMW for Pre-purchase inspection. It was a Saturday and things moved along pretty well compared to when I have been there during the week. Turns out they found a list of things that needed to be fixed:

A/C service (unit runs but not cooling air): $175
    P/S suction hose: $280
    Oil leaks/gaskets: $810
    Center Link: $480
    4-wheel alignment: $175
    Replace front brakes: $740

Besides being alot of dough, the car is supposed to be in mint condition.

I was going to buy the car but after Saturday not without some relief from the price (seller not willing) or repairs (could shop this around). I figured you guys have been through this a time or two so would ask for opinions. For now, I am still looking.

I'm looking for a lower mileage 7 series in TN, so if you know of any, feel free to let me know.

One last thing that is bugging me: does this car look pretty different from the side than others or is it just me?

My Cars
    FJ,Tahoe, F800GS,Piaggio
    Quote Originally Posted by wb3 View Post
    Last weekend I took a car on Craigslist (Nashville #463254290)<snip>
    One last thing that is bugging me: does this car look pretty different from the side than others or is it just me?
    From the tiny picture posted, it looks pretty normal to me.
    Nice looking, nice color and nice wheels (an upgrade).
    And yes, normal maintenance adds up if you a)have to do it all at once and b) do it at the dealer. Newer cars with warranties are nice. But once that's over, better to learn how to tend to your car yourself. And take care of the nagging little issues as they arise or they'll sneak up and cost you some $$.

Good luck in your search.

My Cars
    1994 E36 Coupe
    wb3 - If you still decide to get that 7 series, shoot me a pm. My best friend is one of the best mechanics I know, and he's the only person I let work on my own BMW when I don't have the time to do it. He worked at Top End Motorsports as the service manager, as well as mechanic, doing everything from routine maintnance to motorswaps and complete rebuilds. I guarantee no shop in this state will beat his prices. Not even on parts, since he will cut you a deal on those too.

My Cars
    2000 Z3M Roadster
    Bringing this back from the dead in case anyone else cares..

I took my E46r to Aikin last week to have them diagnose a squeeking/rattling engine or manual trans noise I believed was something sort of major. Also to diagnose the TPMS light that comes on everytime I drive the car- I am less than likely to use Aikin again.

They said my noise was a bad pulley, and want to charge me $500 to replace belts and pulleys..... I challenge the noise, and they hold firm to the diagnosis... Also, that I probably needed new spark plugs (car has 29K miles) and, do I need an oil change? and on and on. Talk about trying to bleed the customer at every turn!

Charged $100 for the diagnosis- said nothing was wrong with TPMS- need to replace a worn tire. OK

So, I'm handy and replace all the pulley's, belts, waterpump (while I'm in there) and do a coolant flush. ~200 bucks. Problem still there.. I crawl under the car and confirm where I thought the noise was and is still coming from.

I'm trying Konrad on River Road next..
    Last edited by mreloc; 04-15-2010 at 04:21 PM.

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Konrad is the MAN!

My Cars
    FJ,Tahoe, F800GS,Piaggio
    Quote Originally Posted by 91e34M5 View Post
    Konrad is the MAN!
    Agreed...

My Cars
    1997 318ti Sport, Black
    Konrad is the MAN!
    +1
    DON'T HATE THE HATCH!
    From Page 68 of the 1997 318ti Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."

My Cars
    04 Honda
    Does anyone have Konrads number and address?

My Cars
    1997 318ti Sport, Black
    PM sent.
    DON'T HATE THE HATCH!

My Cars
    04 Honda
    Thanks

My Cars
    2000 Z3M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mreloc View Post
    Bringing this back from the dead in case anyone else cares..

I took my E46r to Aikin last week to have them diagnose a squeeking/rattling engine or manual trans noise I believed was something sort of major. Also to diagnose the TPMS light that comes on everytime I drive the car- I am less than likely to use Aikin again.

They said my noise was a bad pulley, and want to charge me $500 to replace belts and pulleys..... I challenge the noise, and they hold firm to the diagnosis... Also, that I probably needed new spark plugs (car has 29K miles) and, do I need an oil change? and on and on. Talk about trying to bleed the customer at every turn!

Charged $100 for the diagnosis- said nothing was wrong with TPMS- need to replace a worn tire. OK

So, I'm handy and replace all the pulley's, belts, waterpump (while I'm in there) and do a coolant flush. ~200 bucks. Problem still there.. I crawl under the car and confirm where I thought the noise was and is still coming from.

I'm trying Konrad on River Road next..
    So I went to Konrad. Dropped off the car- called him in a couple of days and he said he fixed it all up. Found a stone between a cross member and the engine and that solved everything... he said it was an expensive rock... He had to remove the crossmember to find it, and while he was at it, replaced all four jack pads that the p.o. had somehow lost (I don't even wanna know ). I was planning to replace, but knew they were about 15-20 bucks, so I wasn't in a hurry to order until I had a larger order of parts to make...

Anyway, picked up the car and asked for the bill-- wait for it- - - $97!! for the repair and the jackpads. LOVE KONRAD!!! he was worth the 40 minute drive, for sure. Definitely trustworthy and fair.

My Cars
    e36m3 non-sunroof
    Alright I want his number too.
    BMPR STKR: Real racers go LEFT and RIGHT.... So tru! Twins at heart.M

'93 325is-Sold/'03 WRX-Sold/'04 RX-8-Sold/'92 525iA-TotaledSold/'90 e30s52-Sold/'96 328i-TotaledSold/'95 525iM-Sold

My Cars
    1997 318ti Sport, Black
    PM sent.

Would it break any "rules" if I posted the info here?
    DON'T HATE THE HATCH!

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Konrad is the MAN!
    ...like I said...Konrad is the MAN!

My Cars
    97 M3, 13 F150 FX4
    i may need to get konrads info as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast