Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: High RPM Miss/Sputter

My Cars
    Something Cool
    My '98 did this when i had it in 2003 and I could never figure it out...and i hated it...seemed to do it around the change of seasons though...fall-into winter and then spring-into summer.

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    I scanned my codes this past weekend and nothing showed up. I also took the car out on a high way run tonight and sure enough at about 6200-6500 rpms in 3rd gear the sputter is still there.

Next will be swapping coils with my brother's 330ci to see if that cures the issue.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    Z4 M coupe
    Go and pull the vehicle speed sensor in the diff (2 10mm bolts, accessible under the car without a jack.... just crawl) and see if it has any metal stuck to it.
    1/4 mile in 13.1 @ 106++ (calculators put this at 0-60 in "4.21" seconds.)

My Cars
    Nike's
    Quote Originally Posted by xjeeper View Post
    Go and pull the vehicle speed sensor in the diff (2 10mm bolts, accessible under the car without a jack.... just crawl) and see if it has any metal stuck to it.
    why would that happen??
    And would that make the car sputter? weird

I can't believe you haven't figured out this issue yet. Hope you do!

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by xjeeper View Post
    Just curious what would make you think the VSS would have to do with the symptoms I'm experiencing?

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
    That's really weird?? What did that chip run you?

Doug
    Okay a few weeks later, and it is doing it again!

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    I had a feeling it would. I really really think it's ignition related. Did you replace the coils yet?

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    I had a feeling it would. I really really think it's ignition related. Did you replace the coils yet?

Doug
    Coils were new as of over a year ago -- just ordered a cam position sensor from cmuzzy. Our cam position sensor is weird - from what I hear, it's kind of a combination VR/Hall sensor - it does not give a full on sine wave like a VR, but is not simply "on/off" like the hall. Hence why we can't buy a generic $15 hall to replace it!!

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by epj3 View Post
    Coils were new as of over a year ago -- just ordered a cam position sensor from cmuzzy. Our cam position sensor is weird - from what I hear, it's kind of a combination VR/Hall sensor - it does not give a full on sine wave like a VR, but is not simply "on/off" like the hall. Hence why we can't buy a generic $15 hall to replace it!!
    I did replace my cam sensor about 3 years ago. I actually had it fail when I was on vacation. It totally retarded the timing for my long trek home.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    I did replace my cam sensor about 3 years ago. I actually had it fail when I was on vacation. It totally retarded the timing for my long trek home.

Doug
    Lucky it even ran, when I forgot to plug mine in after doing my m50 manifold swap it started knocking right away

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Did swapping the coils help?

I'm thinking about sending my injectors in to get cleaned and to replace the little parts
    99 Alpine/Gutted ///M3

Estoril/M-Technic cloth ///M3
    - RIP http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1191513

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    I still didn't get a chance to swap them. I've been up to my ears with other projects. I will definitely report back hopefully soon.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    Jeep ZJ, 95M3
    not sure if this help.. but my 95 used to do the same thing at about 5500-6500 in 3rd. I tried the basics: fuel filter/ plugs.. but nothing helped
    then the car threw the o2 code. After i replaced the o2 sensor(95s only have one).. it hasn't happened again. (knock on wood)
    just an idea.
    Mods: Eibach Sways, xbrace, JC chip, jtd underpanel, ssk

My Cars
    2003 M3
    Bump,

I now have the same problem, did any of you guys figure out what's causing that?

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    I haven't had it happen in a long time.

I have been getting an O2 code every now and again. I have all 4 sensors ready to replace, but I just haven't had the time.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    2003 M3
    I haven't had it happen in a long time.

I have been getting an O2 code every now and again. I have all 4 sensors ready to replace, but I just haven't had the time.

Doug
    So it just stopped doing it although you've not changed a thing in the car?

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    I haven't changed anything and the issue hasn't occured recently. I can't remember the last time it happened actually. Granted I don't run my car up to those speeds every time I drive, but again I haven't had issues. Of course now that I write this, the problem will return tomorrow morning.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    2003 M3
    Well, good news, it looks like in my case at least it was bad gas, after having those sputters for couple weeks, I finally had to get some gas, went to a different gas station and haven't had the problem for couple of days now, hopes it stays like this

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Keep us posted.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    I have occasionally noted this problem in my car - I've replaced pretty much all the parts on your list except the coils. Given that it improves quite a bit/disappears with new plugs in my car, I'm fairly certain that the coils are to blame.

Crank/Cam sensor would be my other two on the list of 'likely.'
    Chris
    97 M3
    94 325is
    12 Jeep SRT8

My Cars
    AW E36 M3, AW E46 M3
    how much are new coil boots?

mine coincidentally started after i seafoamed the car, which goes along the lines of people say o2 sensors
    03' AW E46 M3 -> 15" AP BBK, 19x11 iForged Aeros, V-CSL GTS3, custom tuned by me
    98' AW E36 M3 -> 18x8.5 Hamann HM2, Taiwan Coilovers, custom tuned by me
    04' RC51 SP2 -> Full Yoshimura RS-3, HotBodies undertail, Lowering link, needs a TUNE

My Cars
    1998 M3
    ive had this problem for a while now. its just 2nd nature to me now. lol

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by BrenM3 View Post
    how much are new coil boots?

mine coincidentally started after i seafoamed the car, which goes along the lines of people say o2 sensors
    I think new boots can be purchased from NAPA for about $55 for a set of six.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I'm coming into this thread late and didn't read all the posts. However, you said your plugs were $1.98 Each? I don't recall exactly what kind I bought, but they were the OEM plugs with 4 electrodes, 8 dollars or so each. I had high RPM mis-fires and the new plugs solved it. Perhaps it's the type of plug you are using?

Shaun
    Driving a modified M3 is like dating a supermodel with a bad cocaine habit. It's going to be expensive and ultimately get you in a lot of trouble, but she sure does know how to have fun.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by delusion39 View Post
    I'm coming into this thread late and didn't read all the posts. However, you said your plugs were $1.98 Each? I don't recall exactly what kind I bought, but they were the OEM plugs with 4 electrodes, 8 dollars or so each. I had high RPM mis-fires and the new plugs solved it. Perhaps it's the type of plug you are using?

Shaun
    he probably got the ngk coopers.. i have them also and they are fine.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast