Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: High RPM Miss/Sputter

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by porschec2turbo View Post
    well i am just going to replace all my coils since i am around 90k... and if it goes away then i will know what the problem was.. haha if not i will be pretty upset
    Which ones are you going to replace them with?

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    2JZ FD3S, 2JZ M3, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    Try flexing the harness near the coils.
    I don't mean try to break it; do it gently.
    what would that do?
    -Andrew Mensah

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheM3nsah View Post
    what would that do?
    What would you expect?

My Cars
    E36, E46
    I had a similar problem, verified on the dyno. Timing would retard @ high rpm.

Turns out it was bad fuel. This may sound stupid and we're all guilty of it, but don't fill up at the cheapest station...
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    99 M3, 09 R6
    okk so i think i may half fixed the problem, or at least made it better. I changed my spark plugs this weekend, NGK BRK6E coppers (same plugs that were replaced, except those were gapped at .035...idk wats the best gap), gapped at .032. Cleaned the MAF sensor, played with its position....around 10ish oclock. Before that i checked my coil boots..all good. I did a compression test 200psi +/- across the board. Car is still running a little rough...prob a vaccuum leak from m50, and i think the throttle boot is starting to crack. Anyways ill do some more testing and more inspecting see if the problem is completely fixed.

Custom Build Threads: Exhaust, Short Shifter Kit

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by pioneer416 View Post
    okk so i think i may half fixed the problem, or at least made it better. I changed my spark plugs this weekend, NGK BRK6E coppers (same plugs that were replaced, except those were gapped at .035...idk wats the best gap), gapped at .032. Cleaned the MAF sensor, played with its position....around 10ish oclock. Before that i checked my coil boots..all good. I did a compression test 200psi +/- across the board. Car is still running a little rough...prob a vaccuum leak from m50, and i think the throttle boot is starting to crack. Anyways ill do some more testing and more inspecting see if the problem is completely fixed.
    Interesting. I gapped mine to 0.032" as well. Keep us posted.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    97 M3
    Doug, I had the same problem. It turned out to be the cam sensor. I replaced it and the car has run great since. I suggest you look into that it just might solve your problem.
    Jay

My Cars
    98 M3,94 325is,07 Avalan
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyd View Post
    Doug, I had the same problem. It turned out to be the cam sensor. I replaced it and the car has run great since. I suggest you look into that it just might solve your problem.
    Jay
    Im going to try replacing the cam position sensor this winter, since the head will be off, and it will be easy. Unfortunatly, i wont be able to report the results till probably april.
    Jon

98 M3 Track/Autocross/Street- AST 4100s.
    94 325is beater

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Jay
    Jay, I actually replaced this sensor about 2 years ago. It failed while I was on vacation and I couldn't replace it till I got home. When the sensor failed previously, it actually threw a CEL. I suppose it's still possible that it could have failed again. Interesting...

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    2000 M coupe
    i think i am going to replace them with the bav auto ones... if i am going to get new ones better get the ones that say "performance" haha

My Cars
    97 M3
    Doug-FWIW, when mine failed it did not throw a CEL/code. A friend of mine knows M3's pretty well and he made the call. Did you replace your with and OEM sensor? I think there is a voltage test you can do to see if it is operating with spec.
    Let us know how you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
    Jay, I actually replaced this sensor about 2 years ago. It failed while I was on vacation and I couldn't replace it till I got home. When the sensor failed previously, it actually threw a CEL. I suppose it's still possible that it could have failed again. Interesting...

Doug

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Doug-FWIW, when mine failed it did not throw a CEL/code. A friend of mine knows M3's pretty well and he made the call. Did you replace your with and OEM sensor? I think there is a voltage test you can do to see if it is operating with spec.
    Yes, I did replace it with an OEM one from www.bimmerparts.com. As I said, it's been two years and anything could happen. I got on it today and there was no sputter. Go figure? I'll keep an eye on it.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2003 GSXR-1000
    It's an ohm test that you do to the crank/cam positioning sensors...
    It sounds like your guys's problem is contamination of the combustion chamber, could be from a few things, starting with fuel, and of course your oil separator...if the oil separator isnt functioning properly, under high rpms, with all of the blow by gasses coming out of the PCV, it would suck in oil as well through the separator, straight into your intake manifold, thus contaminating the mixture...
    When i had my turbo seals blow, thats exactly what was happening!
    When boost kicks in, oil would get into the charge pipe, straight into the intake manifold, and contaminate my mixture, causing misfires/sputters...
    Something to look at

Stan
    Mods: Carbon fiber hood, headlights with angel eyes and 14000 Kelvin HIDs, blacked out/smoked tail lights and side turning signals, smoked front corners...and thats about it
    Ohh...and some "bolt-ons" here and there........K&N air filter, m50 manifold, rouge trans mounts, a few V-band clamps, few silicon couplers....etc...etc....
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653809

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Talked to a friend about this problem and he said it could be the fuel pump.. When I changed the valve cover gaskets there was no sign of running rich/lean on the spark plugs either.
    99 Alpine/Gutted ///M3

Estoril/M-Technic cloth ///M3
    - RIP http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1191513

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerforums View Post
    Talked to a friend about this problem and he said it could be the fuel pump.. When I changed the valve cover gaskets there was no sign of running rich/lean on the spark plugs either.
    For the condition that we're experiencing, you would more than likely not see a rich or lean condition on the spark plugs. 99% of the time the car runs well but for the 1% of the time the car doesn't, you would probably not notice on the plugs. This of course doesn't rule out the fuel pump though. A fuel pressure check at ilde and under load should verify.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    It sounds like your guys's problem is contamination of the combustion chamber, could be from a few things, starting with fuel, and of course your oil separator...if the oil separator isnt functioning properly, under high rpms, with all of the blow by gasses coming out of the PCV, it would suck in oil as well through the separator, straight into your intake manifold, thus contaminating the mixture...
    When boost kicks in, oil would get into the charge pipe, straight into the intake manifold, and contaminate my mixture, causing misfires/sputters...
    Something to look at

Stan
    Oil seperator huh? Interesting. So what did you do then? Clean it? Replace it?

Doug
    Last edited by douglee25; 11-17-2007 at 08:50 AM.

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    Something to look at

Stan
    I bet there's something a bunch of us seeing this occasional stutter have in common...

Ghetto M50 manifold swap?

My Cars
    99 M3, 09 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by epj3 View Post
    I bet there's something a bunch of us seeing this occasional stutter have in common...

Haha i think your right...this weekend i had a problem with my car not being able to idle at all, i would have to try and hold the revs up, which made for a launch at every stop. Meanwhile my car had been idling like crap and finally just gave out. I went home this weekend ripped the m50 off, cleaned the icv, realized one of my connections had completely come undone. I redid all my m50 hoses lines...no the car has no leaks whatsover, idle perfectly, there is no hesitation and definetely no sputter. The car hasnt run this good in two years since i initially did a ghetto job on the m50. So everyone check for ait leaks if you have an m50.

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Definitely a good point, although I don't have an M50 manifold.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    98 M3,94 325is,07 Avalan
    Definitely a good point, although I don't have an M50 manifold.

Doug
    Nor do i.
    Jon

98 M3 Track/Autocross/Street- AST 4100s.
    94 325is beater

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2003 GSXR-1000
    Quote Originally Posted by epj3 View Post

^^ haha no sir... i do not have a ghetto M50 manifold swap...
    Mine is actually pretty clean, since i do not have an oil separator anymore...the only thing i have is one hose from the manifold to the ICV and then another hose from the ICV to my charge pipe, and thats it
    Click on the link in my thread for a more detailed installation if you care...its actually a good write up with tons of pictures when i was rebuilding/turboing my engine...anyways...
    As of right now, i just dont boost anything over 12psi, as it seems it brings oil into the engine, causing it to sputter at high rpms because of the blown turbo seals...i have a new turbo coming in this week hopefully, so i will be changing it...
    But yea, im planning on cleaning all of the oil out, rinsing the intercooler and i'll report back to see if that fixes my problem

Stan
    Mods: Carbon fiber hood, headlights with angel eyes and 14000 Kelvin HIDs, blacked out/smoked tail lights and side turning signals, smoked front corners...and thats about it
    Ohh...and some "bolt-ons" here and there........K&N air filter, m50 manifold, rouge trans mounts, a few V-band clamps, few silicon couplers....etc...etc....
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653809

My Cars
    Nike's
    I seem to have developed a miss that is noticeable in 3rd gear at WOT on my '97 M3. I don't feel the miss in 1st or 2nd. The miss is apparent around 5500 - 7000 RPM's. It occurs very quickly but it's definitely noticeable.

I changed the plugs 3 months ago. I made sure to put dielectric grease on the boot ends when I reassembled and anti-seize on the plug threads. The car does not possess any other symptoms and no codes came up when I scanned it.

I'm assuming it's ignition related as it occurs in the upper RPM range. Is there anything else to look for besides cracked plug boots and or carbon tracking? Maybe I put too much anti-seize on the plug threads and it's arcing there? Replace plugs for assurance? Replace plug boots? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Doug
    Ever fix this issue?

My Cars
    98 M3 coupe 5 Spd Cosmos/Grey Lightly Moded.
    i must add to this.

My car did this but i have AA software. I threw in a Walbro 255 Pump and still did it.
    Changed plugs,
    Still did it.

I havent noticed it it a while. Lets just see if it creeps back up.
    Mods in sig.

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by Julz69 View Post
    Ever fix this issue?
    It's funny you bring this up because I just looked at this thread the other day. I haven't taken the car up to those speeds lately to see if the problem still persists or not. The last time I did travel up those speeds, the problem didn't appear to be there, although I haven't done anything else besides change the plugs and the coil boots. I changed those items back when the problem first originated though.

I will give it a whirl this week and let you know for sure.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    99 M3, 09 R6
    Ya i haven't encountered this problem since the start of this thread. I changed my plugs to NGK brk6e's, cleaned the MAF, and fixed my M50 manifold plumbing. Since then no ploblems whatsoever

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast