Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: High RPM Miss/Sputter

My Cars
    Ti 99 M3 coupe, B3000
    wow ive been researching this problem since i bought my car 5 years ago. ive gone from a full stock s52 to getting m50 manifold, full race exhaust, afe intake, new plugs, seafoam, custom flash tune, asc delete, cleaned maf, new fuel filter, and the problem never changed. its funny how the hesitation or the sputter never gets worse and some days arnt as bad as others. im going to check that resister and either by pass it or replace it and take my car for a few 3rd-4th pulls and let you guys know
    Last edited by 3seriescr250; 04-09-2016 at 12:33 PM.

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    It's crazy to think I started this thread 9 years ago!!

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    Ti 99 M3 coupe, B3000
    so i just checked the path of resistance on the resistor and there was non? so im asuming the resistor is broken?

- - - Updated - - -

nope its working perfectly fine geting 230 ohms of resitance. i had to test each side of the wires for it to read correctly, i think its just coil packs. just gona have to bite the bullet at some point n buy all new

My Cars
    1987 325is
    12 years after the original post and no real solutions.
    So I installed an S52 in my e30 five years ago. The engine has done this same thing, the stumble, since day one. I’ve swapped plugs, boots, coils, cleaned the injectors, replaced the cam sensor, fuel pumps, swapped MAF. Doing the M50 manifold swap did nothing to change this behavior.
    I came across this mention of the resistor and thought, “Hallelujah!”, but of course I jumpered it and nothing changed.
    I’m at my wits’-end here! Can anyone offer any ideas???

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Hayes View Post
    12 years after the original post and no real solutions.
    So I installed an S52 in my e30 five years ago. The engine has done this same thing, the stumble, since day one. I’ve swapped plugs, boots, coils, cleaned the injectors, replaced the cam sensor, fuel pumps, swapped MAF. Doing the M50 manifold swap did nothing to change this behavior.
    I came across this mention of the resistor and thought, “Hallelujah!”, but of course I jumpered it and nothing changed.
    I’m at my wits’-end here! Can anyone offer any ideas???
    The next time you're driving your car, unplug the MAF. How does it run then? My last M3 drove way better with the MAF unplugged than with it plugged in. No idea why.

On my E30 S52 swap my issue was either the crank sensor or the the diff speed sensor. I replaced both at the same time, and I didn't have a misfire again. Are you sure you don't have any vacuum leaks?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1987 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    The next time you're driving your car, unplug the MAF. How does it run then? My last M3 drove way better with the MAF unplugged than with it plugged in. No idea why.

On my E30 S52 swap my issue was either the crank sensor or the the diff speed sensor. I replaced both at the same time, and I didn't have a misfire again. Are you sure you don't have any vacuum leaks?
    Yup, tried that: no change. Pretty sure I unplugged the TPS, too, same answer.
    Yes, I’ve considered replacing the crank sensor. Sure does seem like that’d throw some code, but maybe not.

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Monitor your fuel pressure under load.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Replacing the CCV solved the high RPM stutter issue on my 99. I tried the following with no improvement:
    -Cleaning MAF
    -Seafoam intake and gas
    -Removing ASC and checking hoses for air leaks
    -New Spark Plugs (NGK BKR6EQUP) and coil boots
    -Fuel Filter
    -Cam Position Sensor (VDO)

My car also had oil consumption issues (about .5qt every 250mi) so I replaced the CCV and hoses. When I removed the CCV, there was oil dripping out of the intake manifold. After replacement, it took about a week before the the stutter went away but it has been gone for the last 750 miles or so.

My Cars
    1987 325is
    Figured out the issue on my car a couple of months back. I'd remembered reading something about how a MAF likes to have a smooth airflow, and that means a length of pipe between air filter and MAF. Because I was pretty much out of ideas I ran down to O'Reilly's and bought a 6" length of 3" intake tubing. Amazingly enough, it worked! The stumble is pretty much gone. I'm 95% happy, which is good enough for me.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678