Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make an E34 ride softer like a 740?

My Cars
    1990 BMW 525i

How to make an E34 ride softer like a 740?

I know everyone is after the lowered look with the stiff springs and shocks, but not me. I've driven a few 740il's and I would like to have a ride that is similar. How should I go about this?

I would imagine that besides shocks and springs it also has alot to do with bushings and the weight of the car, which I am not going to change.
    Anyone know what kind of stock shocks/springs a 740 uses?

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    I have H&Rs on Koni's, and they ride like BUTTER. Definitely softer than stock. I absolutely love it.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 525i
    No s**t really? That would be perfect if I could get the lowered look and a smoother ride.

My Cars
    1994 530i Oxford Green Sedan
    Koni's are pretty good. Sachs are the OE shocks, and are also good. OE springs are just longer than Eibachs. I don't know why you are comparing a 740 to E34 because they are the same thing. It's a range in years, not a model. If you are looking for active suspension, you shouldn't. If it fails, you are in for pain of the credit card melting kind. The E34 5 series is heavier than most, and due to that with a proper suspension, has a very smooth ride. Give one a try at a BMW Car Club meet, if you have joined the bmwcca.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoreauHD View Post
    I don't know why you are comparing a 740 to E34 because they are the same thing. It's a range in years, not a model. If you are looking for active suspension, you shouldn't. If it fails, you are in for pain of the credit card melting kind. The E34 5 series is heavier than most, and due to that with a proper suspension, has a very smooth ride. Give one a try at a BMW Car Club meet, if you have joined the bmwcca.
    ???

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 2002 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Termist View Post
    I have H&Rs on Koni's, and they ride like BUTTER. Definitely softer than stock. I absolutely love it.
    What settings do you have the Konis on?

I've been looking to replace the (stock) suspension on my E34, and have been wanting something that keeps all or most of the E34's stock smoothness and comfort, but improves handling. I was thinking of going with Koni/Vogtland, does H&R fit the bill? I remember the H&R springs being quite stiff on my old E30...
    BMW CCA #353833
    2002 530i, 2002 330Ci

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    There are some who claim that their upgraded suspension gives a smoother ride - H&R's with Konis here, Vogtlands with Konis elsewhere. And then there are those who'll tell you that it's physically impossible to go lower and have as good a ride.

I'm interested in the exact same thing, and I've been doing on-and-off research on it for a while. What've I discovered? Konis are awesome for everything, Bilsteins are harsh as **** but handle really well, and nobody can agree on springs. All I can personally verify is that 750iL thrust arm bushings make your suspension harsher without a noticable (to me) improvement. Not bad enough to warrant changing them, but if you ever need to, I suggest sticking with the stock bushing.

Here's a compilation of all the opinions on springs I've found in the last year and a half:
    Cut stock springs - terrible idea; sounds like a bad idea, but the car handles wonderfully; not bad at all if you know what you're doing; makes the car bounce.
    Bavauto - good ride, no problems; good ride, bottoms out; good ride, sags after some time; good ride, ok handling, bottoms out.
    H&R - excellent ride; excellent ride, excellent handling; horrible ride, excellent handling.
    Eibach - good ride, excellent handling; mediocre ride, good handling; bad ride (especially in the rear), sags too much, crap handling.
    Vogtland - excellent ride; decent ride, but bottoms out all the time; mediocre ride, decent handling.
    Dinan - good handling, good ride, looks like stock or maybe a touch lower (still too high).

I'ven't seen much feedback on UUC and others. When I have 500 bucks I don't know what to do with, I'm getting Konis, a backup set of stock springs, and cutting my existing stock ones.
    Last edited by moroza; 11-01-2007 at 11:32 PM.

My Cars
    1995 AlpineWeiß 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoreauHD View Post
    Koni's are pretty good. Sachs are the OE shocks, and are also good. OE springs are just longer than Eibachs. I don't know why you are comparing a 740 to E34 because they are the same thing. It's a range in years, not a model. If you are looking for active suspension, you shouldn't. If it fails, you are in for pain of the credit card melting kind. The E34 5 series is heavier than most, and due to that with a proper suspension, has a very smooth ride. Give one a try at a BMW Car Club meet, if you have joined the bmwcca.
    Um no. The 7 series of the same year is an e32. e38 startign in 1995. The "e#" represents the chassis code NOT just the year. That would make no sense.

My Cars
    00 528 sport;e34 540-RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxSteel View Post
    Um no. The 7 series of the same year is an e32. e38 startign in 1995. The "e#" represents the chassis code NOT just the year. That would make no sense.
    E represents the chassis model/code, and each have their own year range. Thats how I see it.

"Never let the bastards wear you down!"

My Cars
    A Beamer & a Bentley
    you sell the 525 and buy a 740..

My Cars
    93 Calypsorot 525iA and 98 Biarritz Blue 740iA
    Quote Originally Posted by E34N View Post
    you sell the 525 and buy a 740..
    Negative....you buy em both and drive the He** out of em!!!

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by glwillia View Post
    What settings do you have the Konis on?

I've been looking to replace the (stock) suspension on my E34, and have been wanting something that keeps all or most of the E34's stock smoothness and comfort, but improves handling. I was thinking of going with Koni/Vogtland, does H&R fit the bill? I remember the H&R springs being quite stiff on my old E30...
    Currently it's on full soft all the way around. It rides soooooooo smooth on stock wheels/tires. But I'm riding on a 35 series profile. The ride is stiffer, but it still rides mmmmm mmmm good. BUT, it has a TON of body roll. I plan on getting some anti-sway bars in the future. Perhaps OE M5s, not sure yet.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Termist View Post
    Currently it's on full soft all the way around. It rides soooooooo smooth on stock wheels/tires. But I'm riding on a 35 series profile. The ride is stiffer, but it still rides mmmmm mmmm good. BUT, it has a TON of body roll. I plan on getting some anti-sway bars in the future. Perhaps OE M5s, not sure yet.
    Have you driven a 7 series with stock wheels/tires?
    If so, how would compare that to the e34 with koni's and stock 15's?

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    And then there are those who'll tell you that it's physically impossible to go lower and have as good a ride.
    It's obvious that these guys have NEVER been in a car with quality parts.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bondheli View Post
    Have you driven a 7 series with stock wheels/tires?
    If so, how would compare that to the e34 with koni's and stock 15's?

Where in CA are you? If you're in the Bay Area, I can give you a little test ride.

I can't compare the two, but my guess it would be just as smooth.

My Cars
    89 535iM, 05 545i Sport w/SMG

My .02

I June I installed a set of Koni shocks, Vogtland springs, M5 front spring pads, and 750il front end bushings. The shocks are 1/4 turn from full soft. If you don't know New York City and New Jersey has some of the worst roads ever. Despite driving a lowered car my ride is extremely smooth on these horrendous roads.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 2002 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by kxmills View Post
    I June I installed a set of Koni shocks, Vogtland springs, M5 front spring pads, and 750il front end bushings. The shocks are 1/4 turn from full soft. If you don't know New York City and New Jersey has some of the worst roads ever. Despite driving a lowered car my ride is extremely smooth on these horrendous roads.
    From everything I've read this seems to be the best all-around setup (for street driving, not track), short of going to complete coil-overs. What do the M5 front spring pads do?
    BMW CCA #353833
    2002 530i, 2002 330Ci

My Cars
    89 535iM, 05 545i Sport w/SMG
    They are they thinnest front spring pads that I believe are available. Hence, they lowest drop in the front

My Cars
    E34 M60
    You dont want to bottom out on a lowered car though a stiffer setup is better. With the koni you can adjust but those shocks are also very expensive. If you have a stock car and its riding rough you can simply replace the worn shocks.

My Cars
    Too Many
    I think its mostly up to the shocks you use as far as ride goes..

The most important thing to think about here is everyone is comparing brand new shocks and springs compared to stock shocks and springs with tons of miles on them.

How many people buy new springs and new shocks? Just about nobody..

My billy HD's were much stiffer than my Billy Sports and they both had about the same spring stiffnesses. Koni on full soft should yield a great ride, probably much like a stock shock.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 535i
    I have had both the Bilstein HD and the Koni's on E34's. Where in other applications I have had the Bilsteins be very stiff, the ones in my 535i ride wonderfully, and it has 17" wheels. The Koni's still probably have a little better ride quality, and I would suggest using them with stock springs for the best ride quality. Also, running a nice H rated touring tire in the stock size at the stock pressure will contribute to better ride quality.

My Cars
    00 528 sport;e34 540-RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cary View Post
    I have had both the Bilstein HD and the Koni's on E34's. Where in other applications I have had the Bilsteins be very stiff, the ones in my 535i ride wonderfully, and it has 17" wheels. The Koni's still probably have a little better ride quality, and I would suggest using them with stock springs for the best ride quality. Also, running a nice H rated touring tire in the stock size at the stock pressure will contribute to better ride
    quality.
    How much drop, if any, will the Koni's w/ stock springs be?

"Never let the bastards wear you down!"

My Cars
    '01 530i/5 sport
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    When I have 500 bucks I don't know what to do with, I'm getting Konis, a backup set of stock springs, and cutting my existing stock ones.
    its probably not gonna help you any, but if you ever make your way to GA, i have a set of stock springs you can have

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB View Post
    How much drop, if any, will the Koni's w/ stock springs be?
    Zero inches.

My Cars
    2013 Subayota FR-Z
    Springs = drop
    Shocks = ride quality

(for the most part)

l

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast