Thread: RRT, Curry's, or $tealership for an E46 M3 PPI?

My Cars
    '98 Arctic Silver M3 coupe

RRT, Curry's, or $tealership for an E46 M3 PPI?

My buddy is looking at an E46 M3 and would like to take it in for a full comb-over tomorrow Nov. 1 - where is the best place to take it? Heard nothing but great things about RRT, but will they check for frame damage/paintwork along with the usuals? What does a PPI cover, and how much should he expect to pay? Where have you taken your vehicles for PPIs in NoVA?

TIA.
    Wes

'98 5spd Arctic Silver ///M3 coupe
    Bilstein/H&R sports - polished LTWs - AA Track Pipe - AA Gen3 catback - UUC Evo3 SSK

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3zie View Post
    My buddy is looking at an E46 M3 and would like to take it in for a full comb-over tomorrow Nov. 1 - where is the best place to take it? Heard nothing but great things about RRT, but will they check for frame damage/paintwork along with the usuals? What does a PPI cover, and how much should he expect to pay? Where have you taken your vehicles for PPIs in NoVA?

TIA.
    Wes,

You forgot FunKtion Auto in Dulles. They are a great place for PPI because they will scrutinize the car completely for damage, mechanical, electrical, maintenance issues, etc. They'll let you know what issues need attention so you can take that info back to the seller and renegotiate the price (if you are seriously interested in the car). Any PPI I need done I will not hesitate to take it to them.

www.funKtionauto.com
    (703)-544-0015

My Cars
    '09 328i
    We could do it this afternoon if need be. Give us a call if we can help.

-Ash

My Cars
    e46 M3, F10 535, X5d
    Quote Originally Posted by M3zie View Post

TIA.
    We also have one of the top body shops next door that can give a more detailed look if that makes you more comfortable relative to the body work, but our guys' deep bmw experience will find anything out of whack.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3
    Had I known about RRT before I bought my car, I would have taken it to them...but I went to Currys and they seemed to check it over pretty well...

Its usually about an hour of labor (~$90)
    -Josh
    2002 BMW M3

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    Yes, we definitely check top, bottom, inside, and outside the vehicle during a PPI. We've also seen enough problems and problem cars to know what to look for in common models (E36, E46, E39, etc) such as rear subframe/chassis issues on the E36 and E46 alike. Another important aspect is a check of all vehicle electronic systems with the Autologic to look for any problems in things like the alarm/body control module, SMG (if equipped), climate control, etc. Many other diagnostic systems are unable to see BMW specific codes in many of the various modules. Also with the engine running we can see whether any operational parameters are getting out of spec on the engine. Many times the fault codes have been cleared from the DME, but watching the live parameters can sometimes indicate whether an O2 sensor is going bad, presence of vacuum leaks that will trigger various fault codes in the future, and other aspects of proper engine operation. If the codes are cleared on modern DMEs, the Autologic will also report when that last was. Pretty cool stuff....
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    e46 M3, F10 535, X5d
    Quote Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
    Had I known about RRT before I bought my car, I would have taken it to them...but I went to Currys and they seemed to check it over pretty well...

Its usually about an hour of labor (~$90)
    That is good rough estimate, but if you want to go more in depth such as a leakdown/compression test ( I would recommend it) it probably go past an hour. In addition, you can hook up the diagnostic machine for a check of codes, high revs, etc.

Edit: James beat me to it....damnit

My Cars
    '98 Arctic Silver M3 coupe

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guys - I'll relay the info to my friend.
    Wes

'98 5spd Arctic Silver ///M3 coupe
    Bilstein/H&R sports - polished LTWs - AA Track Pipe - AA Gen3 catback - UUC Evo3 SSK

My Cars
    135i
    Why was my post removed?
    E82 135i: Alpine white on black leather; ZSP; ZCW; iPod/USB
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    not to steal thread or go to far off topic but
    what do you think a '98 m3 clutch install would go for, i have parts now.

Have heard very good things on RRT, Curry's and FunKtion- I work in the dulles area
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    RRT open on Saturdays for PPI?
    Craig Brickner
    Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
    BMW CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor

2008 M3 Sedan Jerez/Black

My Cars
    '11 XC90, '06 Jetta 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by RRT View Post
    We could do it this afternoon if need be. Give us a call if we can help.

-Ash
    Quote Originally Posted by RRT Adam View Post
    We also have one of the top body shops next door that can give a more detailed look if that makes you more comfortable relative to the body work, but our guys' deep bmw experience will find anything out of whack.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
    Yes, we definitely check top, bottom, inside, and outside the vehicle during a PPI. We've also seen enough problems and problem cars to know what to look for in common models (E36, E46, E39, etc) such as rear subframe/chassis issues on the E36 and E46 alike. Another important aspect is a check of all vehicle electronic systems with the Autologic to look for any problems in things like the alarm/body control module, SMG (if equipped), climate control, etc. Many other diagnostic systems are unable to see BMW specific codes in many of the various modules. Also with the engine running we can see whether any operational parameters are getting out of spec on the engine. Many times the fault codes have been cleared from the DME, but watching the live parameters can sometimes indicate whether an O2 sensor is going bad, presence of vacuum leaks that will trigger various fault codes in the future, and other aspects of proper engine operation. If the codes are cleared on modern DMEs, the Autologic will also report when that last was. Pretty cool stuff....
    Quote Originally Posted by RRT Adam View Post
    That is good rough estimate, but if you want to go more in depth such as a leakdown/compression test ( I would recommend it) it probably go past an hour. In addition, you can hook up the diagnostic machine for a check of codes, high revs, etc.

Edit: James beat me to it....damnit
    There's your answer.
    -Dave

My Cars
    e46 e86 e70
    Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    RRT open on Saturdays for PPI?
    Not generally, but someone is usually there working on projects if not out of town for a race weekend. Give us a call during the week and we'll see if we can accomodate you.
    Ashley