Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant

My Cars
    X3

Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant

I'm really not trying to spend $20 on a gallon of BMW Antifreeze/Coolant. Prestone claims that their extended life antifreeze/coolant will work in ANY car or light truck. Has anyone used Prestone over BMW brand, and if so, can you mix the two or should you flush and refill completely of one or the other?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a BMW enthusiast to the end...but c'mon...this is coolant we're talking about here...it's not like the BMW brand has magical properties. It's not like putting a different oil viscosity in or anything. Prestone should work for a little top-off, right?

My Cars
    '08 535xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey 325i View Post
    I'm really not trying to spend $20 on a gallon of BMW Antifreeze/Coolant. Prestone claims that their extended life antifreeze/coolant will work in ANY car or light truck. Has anyone used Prestone over BMW brand, and if so, can you mix the two or should you flush and refill completely of one or the other?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a BMW enthusiast to the end...but c'mon...this is coolant we're talking about here...it's not like the BMW brand has magical properties. It's not like putting a different oil viscosity in or anything. Prestone should work for a little top-off, right?
    I've spoken to enthusiasts, dealer guys and independent mechanics, and they all seem to agree on using only the BMW coolant (mixed 50/50 with distilled water). the $20 is well worth it considering it will last you a good 2 years (if you do a proper flush) and the potential problems it will prevent.

I am hoping someone will also explain the "why" of it, but IMHO The $12 premium you pay for the BMW coolant is worth it.

My Cars
    SpecE30 #327
    Buy the BMW coolant.

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Don't believe the hype. I use peak 50/50, compatible with all types of antifreeze... green blue, gold. It's safe for aluminum blocks. Your engine wont explode or dissolve into a mass of bubbling aluminum...

My Cars
    1999 323i Silver, manual, Bilstien/H&R; E30 325is
    Zerex G-05 is what I use and have been using for quite a while. Low phosphates is what you want for whatever you use.

E46 1999 323i
    E30 1987 325is

My Cars
    X3
    That's what I thought. Like I said, I'm ALL ABOUT BMW authenticity, but for Pete's sake, this is ANTIFREEZE we're talking about here.

I actually went into my local BMW Store to get some damn BMW Antifreeze/Coolant tonight. I looked at the retail racks and they were filled with BMW fluids. They had fuel system cleaners, windshield fluid, brake fluid, etc. I'm sure all of this shit was the run-of-the-mill stuff, but with spiffy BMW labels and a marked up price. They even had quarts of engine oil...and were there Castrol labels on them? Nope. BMW labels! Now, does this mean that a Full Synthetic with a BMW label on it is better than the same viscosity of another brand? I bet not.

Anyhow, after this long-winded rant, I think it's bull-shit they hype up fluids. Sure, I agree that you should always use the proper specifications, but I think adhering to a brand name is redonculous.

My Cars
    2002 330xi Ti Silver
    I agree, antifreeze is antifreeze. All name brand antifreezes on the market today are of the low-phosphate variety. Some claim to have better rust inhibitors and water-pump lubricants than others, but I feel you can not go wrong with any name-brand product. Don't waste your money!

My Cars
    X3
    I know that a gallon of BMW coolant is only $10-$12 dollars more than, let's say, a gallon of Prestone, but it's the principal of the whole thing that pisses me off. I would be more sympathetic if the BMW brand was similar in price. I hate that they think they're entitled to more money because they took the same substance and printed their own little label to sell the shyte. But I guess that's capitalism for you, and I'm one of the sheep.

My Cars
    Bmw 325i Black-midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by sockethead View Post
    Don't believe the hype. I use peak 50/50, compatible with all types of antifreeze... green blue, gold. It's safe for aluminum blocks. Your engine wont explode or dissolve into a mass of bubbling aluminum...
    Yeah I agree, Plus you spend all that money and then turn around and have a simple coolant leak like I did (radiator temp sensor leak) and what do you know 20 bucks DOWN THE FRIGGIN DRAIN. It's all about merchandizing and selling other shit besides the car itself, everyone is trying to make money off the consumer.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by domino23p View Post
    Plus you spend all that money and then turn around and have a simple coolant leak like I did (radiator temp sensor leak) and what do you know 20 bucks DOWN THE FRIGGIN DRAIN.

You can re-use coolant as long as it's not more than a couple of years old. Drain it into a clean bucket, filter it through a couple layers of cheesecloth to remove any particulate contaminants, and it's fine.

Unless it ALL leaked out from your temp sensor, that is...

My Cars
    '11 335is Vert
    I dunno about re-using old fluid. Unless it's fairly new, like only a few months in, I wouldn't bother re-using old fluids of any kind. Why not just use new fluids for peace of mind.

I'm not so keen on the "use-only-BMW-coolant" idea either, but IMHO, $20 for BMW coolant and another $2 for distilled water isn't much for peace of mind either. Under $25 to last two years before the next flush isn't a whole lotta $$$.

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    It's not just BMW that markets their own fluids, etc. Walk into any Ford or GM dealer and you'll see the same thing.....

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    I always use BMW fluids, unless I can upgrade some, such as Liquimolly

My Cars
    e60, 335i, 2 x e46
    I have been using Prestone extended life for over a year with no problems. I highly doubt BMW manufactures their own antifreeze.

My Cars
    97' 528i, 09' 328i
    I have heard this said before and i quote ''i dont think bmw has some special plant in the german mountains where they manufacture their own antifreeze for their relatively unreliable cooling systems''

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by GixerEd1 View Post
    I dunno about re-using old fluid. Unless it's fairly new, like only a few months in, I wouldn't bother re-using old fluids of any kind. Why not just use new fluids for peace of mind.
    In general, I agree.

But, the post I was responding to implied that he had just replaced the coolant very recently, then had to drain it all out to fix the leaking temp sensor.

"I spent $20 on coolant four years ago and now I have to replace it AGAIN?? What a waste!" ha ha ha.

My Cars
    2003 330i, 1999 328i (RIP)
    I've used Prestone in all of my cars with no problem.

My Cars
    E60 530i (M54/6psd)
    i've used almost every brand under the sun of coolant...never had a problem. low phosphate to protect your aluminum bits and you'll be fine

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325 CI Coupe

Thumbs up Prestone

I just switched to Prestone any make any model! Same thing!!!

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallen00 View Post
    Zerex G-05 is what I use and have been using for quite a while. Low phosphates is what you want for whatever you use.
    Low silicates, too.

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    Whatever you do, for god's sake do NOT use that Dex cool crap that I think is/was popular for GM vehicle.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by fermunky View Post
    Whatever you do, for god's sake do NOT use that Dex cool crap that I think is/was popular for GM vehicle....
    .....or overfill your expansion tank.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    Well the dex cool stuff is known to sludge up if it is exposed to air like from a hairline crack, or even just opening the cap and leaving air in the system, and turns into a nightmare trying to flush that shit out.

My Cars
    1999 323i
    The Prestone brand you guys are referring to is the 50/50 premixed one correct? yellow colored bottle I believe?

note - I'm new here. Trying to learn some things since I was never all that great with cars.

aka fonz is offline License Revoked BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    deutsche warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenrivers View Post
    I just switched to Prestone any make any model! Same thing!!!
    back from the dead!!! reviving 3yr. old posts FTW!!!!
    I just buy the BMW stuff. it's not that expensive, and it's a short drive to BavAuto, so it's not a big deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast