Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [bsw] Official DICE iPod Kit Video Installation Guides

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by supremelem View Post
    I successfully installed the DICE i-BMW-T Silverline module in to my 06 X3 yesterday. On the box, it says that you can set it to DICE mode which would enable " text display and full controls availible on both the iPod and radio". I have a 30 GB 5th gen iPod. I have tried various configurations of the dip switches on the DICE, but I am unable to get it to do both. Has anyone been able to make it work? Thanks in advance!
    If you want both radio and iPod controls you will want it in simple mode. The right two dip switches go down.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyice View Post
    i have a e46 325i and i do not know how to get the rear seats down, i have the trunk disassembled and everything and now im stuck =(
    You want to give a quick tug up on the seat bottom and it will pop right out. This will expose 2 nuts/bolts to get the backseat out itself.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    are there any plans to make an iPhone 3g unit that will also charge the iPhone at the same time?

My Cars
    528i
    so I have a 99 528i is there a kit that will work. is your kit only for m5's or I am a dummy

thanks really want one

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by nos4you View Post
    are there any plans to make an iPhone 3g unit that will also charge the iPhone at the same time?
    That product will be released soon. It works fully with the iPhone 3G just not the charging. A new cable is being designed and produced to solve this issue. Should be any week now, I don't have an exact date it will be released but it will be very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by gartec81 View Post
    so I have a 99 528i is there a kit that will work. is your kit only for m5's or I am a dummy

thanks really want one
    Yes sir we do!

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...d-Kit-by-DICE/

My Cars
    528i
    thank you next check already has a use

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    Totally understand

That is quite the nice 2 wheeled transportation in your sig.

Details?

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Looking for answers to the questions below.
    I have an '02 E39 and a Dension ice>Link Plus V2.02 and want to trade it out with a DICE so that I may connect my XM player/mp3 player. I don't care about the cd changer, I would just like to at minimum get an AUX connection but it would be nice to have text from my Pioneer Inno sat radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcolissimo View Post
    I've visited the website and I can't get too much detail about non-iPod players. It just says that they're supported! Would I be able to use my player in the car or would I have to leave it in the trunk?
    And I'm 99% sure the text display feature is only supported for iPod units, but can you please confirm this? (I mean, can I get a module or something from Creative and have that hooked up to DICE to get text display?)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hblatt1 View Post
    I have a MY05 545i with Nav, sat prep, premium sound, and 6 CD changer. The dealer told me if I wanted to add satellite radio I would have to lose the cd changer b/c only one device is supported. I have now purchased a Pioneer Inno (XM player/mp3 player), is there any way that such a device can be integrated into the factory unit w/o losing the 6 CD changer. I was also wonder is there is a splitter of some sort is there any way to be able to tune XM and view and change mo3 tracks through the Idrive screen.
    Thanks for the help.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Since I haven't heard anything from BSW reps, I'll assume that the DICE units won't do what I need.

Anybody got a Dension for sale or know where I can get one? I really don't want to tear my car apart rewiring so I would prefer the ICE 100 that has an AUX and the iPod connection/controls. The 300 might be a plug and play option with my current wiring, but I would need some more details to determine. I have the Business CD with DSP.

My Cars
    BMW 530d E39 05/2003

DICE sound is not balanced

Hi,

I just installed my DICE on my E39 (530d) and all is running well but the sound quality are not good, the main issue is i think the sound supplied by my ipod (itouch 2G) is in "mono" mode. When I tried to balance in the radio, it only works at the left side. It is not a problem from the radio, I'd tried with the old CD charger and the sound is stereo and I can balance it.

Do you know what i have to check to solve it?

Regards,

Jaime

My Cars
    e36 M3/4, E39/2 Spt, R69

Question Dice e39

I just plugged a DICE into my wife's 2001 540IT and it integrates nicely with the existing business CD system and steering wheel (sport pkg) controls. The directions
    refer to a sedan, and seem clear. I am not sure how to get the wire from the CD player past the rear seat. I do not see how I can remove the seat cushions and it is not obvious to me where to run the wire in the cargo area.
    I do not want to re-invent the wheel, I'm sure others have done this and that there is a good approach that will get the wire safely out of sight and avoid breaking any BMW bits. What is the method, oh wise ones?
    Thanks
    Last edited by baggins; 12-06-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelllling
    850it

My Cars
    454SS/08 Expedition
    does the spec dock have a non-factory integration cable with charging wires and aux out available for the e39. i have an Eclipse 8443 8V deck with Xtant X604 and X1001 and would like to have a clean ipod dock setup like this. I am preparing to install all of this into the E39 and deciding on whether to keep my nav or use the eclipse hu.
    thanks
    i miss my E39

My Cars
    2001 525i, 1988 325

Dice installation

Installation instructions call for disconnecting from the battery negative terminal. There are no details. When do I reconnect? What happens to my car and key memory settings and my security system? Can't I just pull the fuse for the audio system before connecting and testing the Dice module and not disconnect the battery? I have had the Dice for months and have been reluctant to install since I do not want to lose the settings and/or have the security system disable the car because I have disconnected the battery. A comprehensive reply would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by baggins View Post
    I just plugged a DICE into my wife's 2001 540IT and it integrates nicely with the existing business CD system and steering wheel (sport pkg) controls. The directions
    refer to a sedan, and seem clear. I am not sure how to get the wire from the CD player past the rear seat. I do not see how I can remove the seat cushions and it is not obvious to me where to run the wire in the cargo area.
    I do not want to re-invent the wheel, I'm sure others have done this and that there is a good approach that will get the wire safely out of sight and avoid breaking any BMW bits. What is the method, oh wise ones?
    Thanks

bsw provides a video of the installation process, including the removal of the rear seat cushion and back. This provides access to a "chase" between the passenger compartment and trunk for wires. They also show how to hide the wires and Dice module so you end up with your iPod at the center console. There are some steps missing, or I have not been able to find them, such as when to connect the three-prong connector and reconnect the car's battery. I hope to get some answers myself on that.

bsw provides a video of the installation process, including the removal of the rear seat cushion and back. This provides access to a "chase" between the passenger compartment and trunk for wires. They also show how to hide the wires and Dice module so you end up with your iPod at the center console. There are some steps missing, or I have not been able to find them, such as when to connect the three-prong connector and reconnect the car's battery. I hope to get some answers myself on that.
    Last edited by mph525i2001; 12-22-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    Ok - I've got the trunk apart and I've got my hands on the wires needed. I'm ready to do my "dry run", to make sure everything is good before I route the wire under the back seat, into the glovebox, etc.

E46 sedan, with the GPS stereo head unit. I would like to see text on it if possible, and I want to be able to control the iPod from both the iPod itself, or the steering wheel controls. No dock - I'm just gonna keep it in a Crown Royal bag in the glove box, pick a playlist, put it on shuffle and just track up track down, etc.

So in what order do I need to plug everything in? The video and .pdf instructions are very good, but they seem to me missing parts. Do I plug the 6 pin in, wait, plug the ipod in, wait, turn the car on for like a minute, wait, and then plug the three in?

And if everything is kosher, do I unplug everything and do it again after I route the cable?

The 4 switches - which need to be up and which need to be down?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    Various Prototype BMW's
    fpoon:

In your case, you'll leave all 4 dipswitches in the default position.

The install order is as follows:

Disconnect negative terminal. Plug in 6 pin connector in the trunk. Route cable to front of car. Plug in Dice module and cable going to iPod. Plug in 3 pin connector in the trunk. Reconnect negative battery terminal.

The rest of the initialization process is covered in the videos and .pdf guides. Enjoy!
    Jason Seaver | Founding Partner | Product Engineer
    e: jws@bavsound.com
    Bavsound | Audio Solutions Engineered Specifically For Your BMW
    www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by fpoon View Post
    Ok - I've got the trunk apart and I've got my hands on the wires needed. I'm ready to do my "dry run", to make sure everything is good before I route the wire under the back seat, into the glovebox, etc.

E46 sedan, with the GPS stereo head unit. I would like to see text on it if possible, and I want to be able to control the iPod from both the iPod itself, or the steering wheel controls. No dock - I'm just gonna keep it in a Crown Royal bag in the glove box, pick a playlist, put it on shuffle and just track up track down, etc.

So in what order do I need to plug everything in? The video and .pdf instructions are very good, but they seem to me missing parts. Do I plug the 6 pin in, wait, plug the ipod in, wait, turn the car on for like a minute, wait, and then plug the three in?

And if everything is kosher, do I unplug everything and do it again after I route the cable?

The 4 switches - which need to be up and which need to be down?

Thanks in advance!
    I replied to your PM

ryju is offline damn good coffee AND hot
    My Cars
    2000 323i Steel Blue
    Hi Halston I sent you an email about my tracking info there seems to be some missing or improper paperwork where the shipment was received.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    Thanks for the replies guys - I'm mid-installation at the moment:

I got the seat bottom popped out - where in the world are the bolts that hold the seat back on? I read there were two of them, but where?
    Last edited by fpoon; 03-07-2009 at 03:23 PM.

My Cars
    Various Prototype BMW's
    Hopefully you got my email on Saturday... Did the videos clear up your questions?
    Jason Seaver | Founding Partner | Product Engineer
    e: jws@bavsound.com
    Bavsound | Audio Solutions Engineered Specifically For Your BMW
    www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

My Cars
    BMW 325i 04
    Hi Halston, I got the iPod adapter installed but I can't see the text on the display. I see CD7 on the display and then the track where the iPod was before connecting it.

When I hit the mode button, I get a "no magazine" message. if I press the CD1, CD2, CD3, CD4,and CD5 buttons I get "no disc" message. If I press CD6, the radio starts playing something different from the iPod (probably it starts with the songs sector of the iPod)

Could you please tell me what you think is wrong?

I really appreciate your help. I have a 325i 2004.

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    We can fix that.

Can you shoot me an email so I can send a guide to you?

My Cars
    bimmerless atm
    Halston - we communicated via email a few times last week (I am Adam Gunn). I got my DICE module installed and everything works but the scrolling text seems to have stopped working.. I have reset the DICE and ipod a couple times, it works fine for the first little while, then stops after about 15 mins... everything works except for the text scrolling.. I followed all of the instructions verbatim... I have a 1st gen e39 with the tape unit, so I am trying letting the power drain from the DICE unit by unplugging it from the DSP unit and the ipod, then will re-program with the first DIP switch "down" (slow text mode)... I guess that is the recommended mode for integration with older DSP systems??

edit: well, I have done two battery resets now, one with all the DIP switches "off" and one with DIP switch #1 in the "on" position.. I have scrolling text for a little while then it just stops scrolling.. At this point I am tired of messing with this so I am going to leave it as is for now... the unit seems to work perfectly in all other ways.. it sounds great also.

this issue I am having seems to be one LOTS of people have had.. blamed mostly on not having the battery disconnected during install, but in reading tonight it seems even folks who installed with the battery disconnected (myself included) and have performed subsequent battery resets still have the issue.. I did read one person seems to have solved it by making sure the ipod is ON before starting the car up, taking from a thread on bimmerfest:

"I am happy to report to everyone else that I was able to try powering on the iPod and then plugging in to the DICE connector twice since yesterday and scrolling has worked 2/2 times so far. I even made an hour stop this afternoon and left the iPod connected in the car and when I returned the scrolling still worked! This is good news, albeit a little annoying to have to unplug the iPod every single time during prolonged power-offs."

I guess I will try that and see how it works.. but honestly, I can live without scrolling text.

edit: seems like when I make a change to my ipod (modify play list, etc..) and hook it up after that, the DICE says "STOPPED" until I advance to a song and then the scrolling works for that session.. If I switch to my ipod touch 2g the scroll works and then back again to my 4th gen it seems to work now as long as I unplug the ipod after each session, turn the car on and wait for the detached message to come on the screen, then wake up the ipod and put it on the cable.. kind of a hassle but oh well.. seems to do the trick.

It would seem this issue is a communication issue between the ipod and the DICE module and not the DICE and the stereo.. or at least, that how is seems to me.. switching ipods seems to get it working again, making a change to the ipod gets it working again, etc...
    Last edited by revenant; 04-12-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    r e v e n a n t
    bimmerless

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    This is to anyone at bavsound:
    I bought the kit from you guys two weeks ago for my 02' 325xi, got installed everything correctly. But my car came with the factory Ipod interface, so the dice kit will not work. I called the tech-support at Dice and they blew me off. What do I need to do to remove the interface splice from the factory harness and get it back to normal?

Thanks.
    2002 325xi-DD

My Cars
    RMS Supercharged e46 m3
    Os there anywhere I can find a user manual for the older unit. It has text display but it doesn't work the same as this one. The chord is white if that helps. I just bought an 02 M3 with it installed... Can't figure out how to use the damned thing.

EDIT: I just found out that it is actually a dension ILP. Does anyone know where I can find operating instructions or does anyone know how to use it?
    Last edited by THATDONFC; 06-01-2009 at 02:33 AM.

My Cars
    2003 540i

Two Asterisk on Display

When i have my dice selected it always shows 2 asterisk on the display behind the wheel, not sure if that's called the MID or what. Anyone ever seen this before, i have the dip settings set to allow adjusting songs and such via the ipod, everything functions fine, just shows the asterisk when playing. If i switch mode to FM then it goes back to showing my MPG or date, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mcdonaldb; 06-16-2009 at 03:48 PM.

My Cars
    2015 640i Convertible

A few questions...

First, those videos are terrific - thanks for all that.

I read the manuals, too, and I still have some questions:

1) Probably the manual is just out of date, but does the Ipod kit support newer firmware such as 2.x?

2) I have both an Ipod Touch and an iPhone 3G. Does the kit handle the iPhone? If so, what's the prospect of supporting iPhone 3.0? Presently I'm running 2.2.1 on my iPhone.

3) The Business CD in my 2001 330i convertible does not have a Mode button - the one on the right side of the Scan button is CD. Should I be concerned about compatibility? (My 1999 323i wagon has the same design.)

4) Is there a standard 3.5mm option, or is there only the iPod docking jack?

5) Assuming that the answer to #2 includes iPhone, does the spec.dock have plates or whatever form factor is required for the iPhone?

6) If I do not opt for the spec.dock (or, I suppose, even if I do), can I still control the ipod/iphone traditionally and still play it through the system?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast