Thread: Hydraulic or Solid Lifters for Sunbelt Cams?

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3

Hydraulic or Solid Lifters for Sunbelt Cams?

I am looking to purchase a Sunbelt Cam kit along with the M50 race valvespring kit from Bimmerworld. My lifters need to be replaced as well, and I was wondering if hydraulic lifters would be okay/safe for that setup? VAC makes some solid lifters, but I would prefer to use stock-style lifters to avoid valve adjustments, etc.

Thanks in advance for the input.
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    98 M3
    i'd stay hydraulic.

solid lifters would be for more rev's, but a stock bottom end doesn't last much past 7200 rpm.

I wouldn't even do the springs, unless you are just dying to upgrade.
    Sean

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SG_M3 View Post
    i'd stay hydraulic.

solid lifters would be for more rev's, but a stock bottom end doesn't last much past 7200 rpm.

I wouldn't even do the springs, unless you are just dying to upgrade.
    No, I really didn't want to drop an extra $1100 just for the spring kit. I just want to make sure that my motor will be solid and happy. The less money I have to spend, the better. The cams and software is already $2000, and I've only got for $1700 in parts to sell. Time to start selling furniture.
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    S54 and S62
    2000 for cams and software? If it was me I'd save that toward a supercharger fund
    Current:
    Alpine White E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Titanium Silver E39 540i Touring M-Sport S62 6MT

Past:
    Alpine White E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
    Interlagos Blue E85 Z4 M Roadster 6MT
    Le Mans Blue E92 M3 6MT
    Japan Red E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Estoril Blue Individual E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Cosmos Black E36 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
    Alpine White E92 M3 6MT
    Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
    Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Jet Black E36 325is S52 5MT
    Lagoon Green E36 325is 5MT

My Cars
    95 Supra, 09 G8 GXP
    Solid lifters need to be dialed in and checked pretty regularly. IMO, stay hydraulic as long as you can.
    '95 Supra Turbo
    '09 G8 GXP

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiv View Post
    2000 for cams and software? If it was me I'd save that toward a supercharger fund
    I really want a Eurosport kit, but those are on hold as of late. I figure that I can always add a s/c after the cams.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon2222 View Post
    Solid lifters need to be dialed in and checked pretty regularly. IMO, stay hydraulic as long as you can.
    Yeah, I'm not familiar with the solid lifter conversion, and really didn't wanna have to swap them.

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    You shouldn't have a problem with hydraulic lifters. Although my springs are upgraded I'm running hydraulic lifters and rev to 7800 without a problem.

I've also seen a few posts from people who had a lot of problems with the sunbelt cams.

You should just save for the turbo.

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
    You shouldn't have a problem with hydraulic lifters. Although my springs are upgraded I'm running hydraulic lifters and rev to 7800 without a problem.

I've also seen a few posts from people who had a lot of problems with the sunbelt cams.

You should just save for the turbo.
    I heard that they corrected the problem, quite awhile ago actually. I've also heard of many club race cars running the sunbelts with excellent results.

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by 94is View Post
    I heard that they corrected the problem, quite awhile ago actually. I've also heard of many club race cars running the sunbelts with excellent results.
    OK, cool.

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    Time to start selling furniture.

what made you decide on the sunbelts vs. the schricks?
    ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrón View Post

what made you decide on the sunbelts vs. the schricks?
    I don't want a gain of just 10-15rwhp. My car already makes 230rwhp, and I'd be pissed if it only made 240 after the cams. I just want something a *little* more aggressive.

My Cars
    none
    What problem with the sunbelt cams are you talking about?

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    I don't want a gain of just 10-15rwhp. My car already makes 230rwhp, and I'd be pissed if it only made 240 after the cams. I just want something a *little* more aggressive.
    Is Tim throwing $$$ at his car in hopes that he can keep up with you?

ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Quailane View Post
    What problem with the sunbelt cams are you talking about?
    I think that there was some problem with timing, and since the cams have a larger lobe, that they can easily hit valves if timing isn't 100% accurate. Btw, this might be incorrect, but I *think* this is what I remember hearing.