Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got the car out...new wheels and lots of rubbing (pics)

My Cars
    '16 Golf R

Finally got the car out...new wheels and lots of rubbing (pics)

First drive in 4 months...damn it felt great! This car just pulls so hard. Got my BBS RCs mounted and r-comps on the oem rims. The extra "dish" of the motorsport version looks great.

Unfortunately I am getting some contact with the fenders when I hit large bumps and even under hard acceleration (same size tire as oem rims had)--I assume the wider rim + possibly increased offset are causing this. Is rolling the fenders the only solution? Any writeups on this? Or maybe I'll have my bodyshop do it when I have the front bumper repainted next week...

Anyway here are a few pics. Comments welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by berserkr; 03-25-2003 at 08:01 AM.
    98 ///M3/4/5 | Dinan Stage 1 suspension | Dinan STB | Eibach sways | x-brace | Dinan CAI | Dinan TB | Dinan DME | TMS pulleys | TMS headers | Magnaflow exhaust | 3.91 LSD

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    98 ///M3/4/5 | Dinan Stage 1 suspension | Dinan STB | Eibach sways | x-brace | Dinan CAI | Dinan TB | Dinan DME | TMS pulleys | TMS headers | Magnaflow exhaust | 3.91 LSD

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    Check out the camber in the back I know it's a lot, but supposedly it's dialed in for the track. I'm going to see how the car works out as is before I make any changes. It's only tires, right?

My Cars
    '16 Golf R

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    ur camber seems fine. how big r ur rims?
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    '95 M3 Cosmos Schwarz Metallic on Dove Grey: AA CAI, AA bump up kit, Euro HFM, JC chip, AA track pipe, AA Gen III exhaust, AA ltw flywheel and clutch package, X brace, front strut brace, Koni SA shocks, H&R sport springs, GC RSMs, 71 deg T-stat, aluminium housing, JT-D underpanel, Hamann black out grill kit, oem euro lights all around, 18" BBS RC 10s, UUC motorwerks pulley kit, 3 spoke steering wheel, silverstar H1s fog light bulbs, ZKWs w/CCFL, Prolumen 4300k HIDs, Powerflex RTAB and LCAB
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)
    '00 M Coupe Oxford Green II Metallic Sunroof Delete on Oregon Beige: (under construction)

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    17x9

The camber isn't really a problem. I get higher wear on the inside edge of the tire but no big deal. The rubbing is the issue.

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    doesn't look like there should be rubbing, of course, pictures can be deceiving...

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    i have those same rims but in 18 by 8.5. im guessing the reason u rub is bc theyre 9 in. wide. i would try rollin the fenders. if u want to make ur tires last a little longer flip the tires so that the inside of the tire is now on the outside. take the tire that is mounted on the left rear and mount it on the right rear and visa versa. thats what i did and i got atleast and 1000 miles on them. (i think i got more but i cant remember the exact numbers) make sure u do this before the tire starts to feather.
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    '95 M3 Cosmos Schwarz Metallic on Dove Grey: AA CAI, AA bump up kit, Euro HFM, JC chip, AA track pipe, AA Gen III exhaust, AA ltw flywheel and clutch package, X brace, front strut brace, Koni SA shocks, H&R sport springs, GC RSMs, 71 deg T-stat, aluminium housing, JT-D underpanel, Hamann black out grill kit, oem euro lights all around, 18" BBS RC 10s, UUC motorwerks pulley kit, 3 spoke steering wheel, silverstar H1s fog light bulbs, ZKWs w/CCFL, Prolumen 4300k HIDs, Powerflex RTAB and LCAB
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)
    '00 M Coupe Oxford Green II Metallic Sunroof Delete on Oregon Beige: (under construction)

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    Originally posted by ss109
    doesn't look like there should be rubbing, of course, pictures can be deceiving...
    Oh, there's definitely rubbing

I can hear it distinctly when the car hits bumps or the rear squats.

Mpmp, I did switch the tires inside-outside when I mounted them.

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    good shit
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)

My Cars
    Just the ///M3
    Looking good, GO DAKAR!!!

95 Dakar ///M3
    TMS Intake and Euro HFM Kit , TrackPipe, UUC System U Exhaust, Clutch Stop, BMP Strut Bar, BMP slotted front rotors, UUC Sway Barbarians , Mb highs, Fosgate mids and 3 Fosgate H2 10's. *Painted moldings not pictured*

What size tires and type are you running and what is the offset on your wheels? If its a 255 you will def see rubbing issues...if its a 245, some tires are wider then others(So3). Your offset could also play a key factor...with a 9" wide rear you def need a higher offset...prob around a 45-46. I was running a 9 in the rear with a 45 offset and a 245 toyo t1s and had no rubbing issues whatsover with the same suspension setup....Hope this helps a bit.

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    Tires are 235-40-17 Kumho Ecsta Supras. I have no idea what the offset is, nor do I know if I can find out (doubt it's stamped on the wheel?). The wheels came off an E36 M3 so I dunno.

I came across a post that mentioned different springs pads may change ride height slightly. Anyone have any more inof on this? If not I guess I'm going to have to roll the fenders.

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Yeah the offset willl be on the inside, like "ET 40" where 40mm offset.

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    eh, I think I solved this problem. When I experienced the rubbing the car was loaded with a set of track wheels/tires and tools and fluids. Now that it is empty it doesn't rub. SO I guess I'll only have to worry about it en route to the track

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    But still, if you are driving hard, the suspension is going to drop just as much.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    interesting pinstripes, not sure whether i like em or not, guess I'd have to see em in person. good luck with rubbing problem. Do you have YIM?
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    97 328is, 02 Subaru Impr
    I didn't even know they made those rims in 17x9....
    isn't the 235 tire really stretched out?
    Nelson Papel
    Madeira Violet '97 BMW 328is

My Cars
    Not a BMW
    17x9 has to be 40 offset. The least it will be is 38mm. You will still rub in the future. You need to roll your fenders in the rear. 17x9 needs at least 245. 235 is too thin for those rims.
    Clear Corners and Tires are not considered a modification.

My Cars
    Brilliantrot 92' BMW 325is, and blue 2002' Jeep Liberty Sport
    Your offset seams way off to me. My dads M3 runs 17x9 in the rear with 245mm wide michelins without any problems. For those 235mm wide tires to be rubbing at all, the offset of those wheels must be incorrect for the vehicle. BTW, 235mm is a little narrow for a 9" wide rim. Off topic: your AA exhaust looks like its sitting a little low, it might be time for new rear hangers.

My Cars
    2001 IR M3, 2004 Yamaha R6
    Originally posted by Duncan G
    Your offset seams way off to me. My dads M3 runs 17x9 in the rear with 245mm wide michelins without any problems. For those 235mm wide tires to be rubbing at all, the offset of those wheels must be incorrect for the vehicle. BTW, 235mm is a little narrow for a 9" wide rim. Off topic: your AA exhaust looks like its sitting a little low, it might be time for new rear hangers.
    how'd i know you'd spot the exhaust?

anyways, my guess is that your offset is incorrect for your car. with the correct offset and 235's you should have no rubbing issues at all. is it rubbing on the front or the rear, or both? a friend of mine and duncans had 18x9 w/ 255's on the rear of his car and if i remember right, it only rubbed the rear under load on a hard bump, and its lowered, but i could be mistaken...its been awhile since he had that setup.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Nice car, that is some nasty camber. I take it its not you daily driver, or youd be chewing up your tires in no time

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    OK...
    235 is a bit narrow for 17x9 but I had them and figured I'd use them. Next time I'll go to 245 prolly. And these are the Motorsport edition of the RC, which are usually 8.5 wide, but in the relatively rare care of the Motorsport edition are 9" wide, and have a different (darker) finish.

Rubs only in the back, under certain conditions already mentioned (trunk loaded>bumps, squats). No problems when the trunk is unloaded.

I know about the exhaust, I just picked up 2 new hangers yesterday

I'll check the offset, but if its wrong, doesn't matter, cuz the wheels are staying on (can't be returned and not buying anything else). :

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    It just occurred to me--should the offset be different front and rear? Maybe the shop just put the wheels wrong front/back. Would the offset be stamped inside the rim then?

My Cars
    2004 Mazda RX-8
    I'd be surprised if you have different offset wheels for front and rear, but it's possible. As suggested above, just look at the backside of the wheels to find the offset. I know most BBS wheels for M3's seem to be 38 mm offset, but I'm not sure about yours, especially since they are 9's. Are you running spacers up front? If not, the wheel offset has to be very low (too low for the rear) to clear to front struts. From what you're describing, I'd bet your wheel offset must be 35 mm or less - let us know. If so, it's is going to require rear fender rolling, or you're going to rub on large bumps, even with nothing in the trunk. And when you up the rear tire width, the clearances will only become worse.

Keith Q.
    1996 M3
    Keith Q.
    2008 THSCC Top Gun
    2004 330i (sold)
    1996 M3 (sold)
    1996 328is (sold)
    1993 325is (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast