Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Really need help completing my system. What amps should I get?

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36

Really need help completing my system. What amps should I get?

First off, I am a newbie to audio but all of a sudden got caught up after I purchased my new headunit. Here is what I got so far.

1998 BMW M3, 2 door Coupe
    1) Alpine 9513, $325 installed
    2) Rainbow Dream Line 6.5 Components, $90
    3) Amp for Components? How many channels do I need?
    4) JL Audio Stealthboxes I8B4s, $350 installed
    5) Amp for Stealthboxes? How many channels do I need?
    6) Rearfill --> NONE

I really don't have a set budget, but I just want to get the best sound system for the money. Not really interested in the bling bling either--just clear sound with bass (but not too overwhelming). Since the JL Audio Stealthboxes are only 8 inch free air subs, I want the system to relatively "match" each other. Any opinions are GREATLY appreciated.

Also, should I change my components? I heard the Focal Polkevlar 6.5s are good but will cost 3 times as much. If I left out any other details, let me know, and I would really appeciate any help. Sorry for the dumb questions.

Thanks in advance.

HEY, sounds good to me. I wouldn't switch out your components...I mean, go ahead if you want, it WILL sound better but you aren't competing and you will already sound better than most around you (SQ that is)---just ask if it is really worth the extra money????.

As for the sub amp, I would go with a 2 channel amp (ebay)...buy something that is at least 2 ohm stable..pretty common now days...you can either bridge your subs (hard on the amp) or just run them in normal..I bridged mine but liked it better just running in straight....I have an audiobahn amp...nice but the fan is a little loud...that is another thing...fans draw current...some people don't like that as it can take away from your system's sound but then again, my amp has outlasted any of the others I have had thus far (going on 3 years now--I am hard on them)

Hope this helps a little,

JMM

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Get a good 4 channel amp with at least 75 watts per channel RMS. Use the front half for your components and the rear half, bridged, for you stealthboxes. The Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 would be a very good choice. If you want to spend less, Kicker or JL would work. Boston Acoustics will be coming out with a line of amps soon. Supposed to be very good.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36
    is it better to get 2 amps or one bigger one?

Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 = $450
    Alpine MRV-420 + Alpine MRV-F340 = $455

they are about the same price, which option do you think is best? johnny010, i like the idea of having one amp, BUT having TWO Alpine amps to match my deck would be cool too I think. or what about 2 JL Audio 300/2?

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Alpine makes good amps, but they aren't in the same league as PG. You don't need huge amounts of power for the stealthboxes. Although, you can never have too much power :-) The benefit of the PG amp is for your components where the cleaner amp will shine.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    stuff
    'The benefit of the PG amp is for your components where the cleaner amp will shine.'

hmmm..............
    Kevin

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36
    Kevin, were you agreeing with LUNI2NZ, or were you being sarcastic? car to chime on this please.

My experience with the JL Audio Stealthboxes is that they do not need very much power. Of course, the cleaner, the better. A Phoenix Gold 2-channel amp rated somewhere between 50 - 100 watts should suffice. Too much power and you get into problems with distortion and potential damage to the woofers.

I first tried driving a set of Diamond Audio Hex series component speakers and a pair of Stealboxes with a 4 x 50 Watt MacIntosh amp. I had problems balancing the sound to my preference and was unable to get enough presence from the mid-bass to make me happy. So, I added a 2nd amp (2 x 50 watt a/d/s) for the subwoofers and wired each Diamond Audio component speaker to their own dedicated channed off of the MacIntosh amp. Much better control which allowed me to achieve the full potentiall of the sound environment.

Moral of the story: bi-amp your M3 or get a 6-channel amp.

My Cars
    stuff
    i disagree that we can hear a difference between any two solid state amps of the quality we discuss on this forum with comparable power output currently built for car audio assuming the amps have no processors being used internally which alter the transfer function of the amp....humans just cant hear the difference.........
    Kevin