Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pedal Travel Switch - ABS DIY Fix

My Cars
    Too many

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I'm seeing that everybody with the problem here gets the ABS light at random times, and the light goes out when the ignition is cycled off then back on, at which time the light reappears at random times.

My trouble is that my ABS light is constantly on.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    I'm seeing that everybody with the problem here gets the ABS light at random times, and the light goes out when the ignition is cycled off then back on, at which time the light reappears at random times.

My trouble is that my ABS light is constantly on.
    Mine goes on, stays on until I pull/replace fuse #10 (it's never bad but it pulls power to ABS). Then it's good (sometimes) for a little while - but will come one 5-10 seconds after start up if it's going to. Hoping this sensor helps?

Will attempt to fix later this week/month.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    '98 M3, '01 325i, '12 A3
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackcar View Post
    Use a pick at the top clip to get at the metal C clip holding the sensor to the master cyliner. It comes off with minimal effort.
    Thought I'd share what worked well for removing the C clip. I bent the end of a 16D 3 1/3 inch nail and formed a j-hook, then locked the head-end of the nail into a small pair of vise grips. You can adjust the angle of the nail in the vise grips to allow easier access around the various vacuum hoses and wiring harnesses that are in the general area where the switch is located. Use the point on the end of the nail to located the channel that retains the C-clip. Once you "feel" the end of the C-clip gap (mine was on the bottom side of the switch), gently pull up and the clip will come up from the channel where you can then grab it more securely with a pair of needle nose pliers and remove the entire clip. The switch was then easy to remove by simply pulling straight out from the socket.

Installation was fairly easy, but I did needed to remove a small amount of mat'l from the notch in the new switch (used a nail file) to allow enough clearance for the new C-clip and new O-ring combo that came with the Ate repair kit I purchased from Pelican Parts. You may not have this issue if you reuse your old swtich, O-ring or C-Clip.

BTW: replacing the switch solved a nagging problem of temperature sensative ABS/ASC intermittant light illumination (i.e. happened when temperature was below 50 Degrees F) on my '98 M3/4...glad it was an easy fix and a thanks to the OP for details on diagnosing the problem.

My Cars
    ---
    A MILLION THANKS TO THE OP!!! The complete solution and detail helped me go pull this sensor out with confidence. Mine was totally unsoldered, we were getting an intermittent ABS light at random intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by DBBM34 View Post
    Thought I'd share what worked well for removing the C clip. .... Once you "feel" the end of the C-clip gap (mine was on the bottom side of the switch), gently pull up and the clip will come up from the channel where you can then grab it more securely with a pair of needle nose pliers and remove the entire clip.
    I used a little mirror to discover where the end of the C clip was, mine on the bottom,as you found yours. Once I found that, easy to get off.

Quote Originally Posted by DBBM34 View Post
    The switch was then easy to remove by simply pulling straight out from the socket.
    Don't forget to relieve the brake system of vacuum, like I forgot. Betcha it comes out easier that way...

Thanks!!

My Cars
    E36
    Pulled mine from the M3 and from my racecar project. Both measured fine on the bench Cut one open and solder looked good
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    Ford Focus ST
    This solution worked great for me--thx for the idea.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    I went down the rabbit-hole of diagnosing and thought it was the brake pedal travel sensor. Googling for info was a little tough, so I figure I would bump this thread to help anyone having this issue.

Intermittent ABS light illuminates while driving.

I ordered a new one, a few sites sell them for about $60, go check the normal BMW part sites. If I found this thread prior to ordering, I would have just soldered the old one after taking it a part... but here I am and I pressed the easy button.

Very good thread!
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    ASM - Slicktop
    My LS3 Build: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post30117299

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234