Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E30: Are Upgraded Wheel Bearings Available?

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Lang View Post
    DOES RRT in fact warrant these for lifetime on a race car? And does the bearing have to have failed in order for the warranty to be honored? Important questions. Everyone should be replacing bearings at short enough intervals so they'll never see a failed one, barring a manufacturing defect. How does this affect the "lifetime warranty"?
    Those were some of the questions on my mind.

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
    Those were some of the questions on my mind.
    Let's see, the name of the company is ROAD RACE TECHNOLOGIES, I think there is some assumption of useage. Besides how do they know what they were run in? Better to ask them and be sure...

My Cars
    85 344i, 89 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
    Let's see, the name of the company is ROAD RACE TECHNOLOGIES, I think there is some assumption of useage. Besides how do they know what they were run in? Better to ask them and be sure...

Old thread, I know. But here's the response I got when I asked RRT the above questions...

"The warranty does cover normal wear and tear... This does not cover track and or race cars. However, I will tell you that I just replaced the bearings on my race car ( all four ) after 8 years of service and
    15 (avg) events per year."

I have a 325is track... I mean, daily driver, that could use some new bearings...
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i/5
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    The finished product!

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew K. View Post
    As for what to use, if you really want 'no compromises,' you can try DuPont Krytox (but it's $$$ - around $140 per cartridge). Alternatively, Mobil SHC 220 is another good one that should last a while.
    The DuPont stuff is what I saw the PTG guys using on their bearings. I could not remember what it was called, so thanks for the tip! We use Red Line CV2 bearing and CV grease. Unfortunately to give a full lifetime warranty on a race bearing would mean that EVERY set we sold would eventually come back within a couple of years.

You have to be careful dismantling the FAG bearings these days. They have plastic barbs inside that hold the inner races in the bearing, while the older SKF bearings came right apart. I can only get FAG bearings now, so all of them (E36, E30, M3/non M alike) are pretty tough to open up without damaging anything. We don't make a lot on repacked bearings; it's mainly just a service for those who either can't or don't want to do it themselves.

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en...ts_krytox.html
    Interesting stuff....
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Insoluble in common organic solvents? So what do you clean it up with?
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    I ended up just going with a new set of fronts from the local import parts place. I got FAGs.

I'll just plan to change them whenever they go bad -- might not be a bad idea to have a spare for the track box, too. It took less than 1HR per side and that was going slowly and learning as I went. Glad to have the right puller for the failed side, as its inner race was frozen onto the stub pretty well.

Passenger side (which wasn't making any noise) came off the stub with no problems.

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    The rears on E30 and E36 non-M go pretty quickly, especially with more power and more tire. Those are the ones that really count when it comes to repacking.

You can't really clean up thick sections of grease very well with solvents. Once you wipe away the bulk of it with towels, you can clean the parts with brake cleaner and clean towels easily. It's best to dispose of the contaminated paper and towels with a proper waste disposal service.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    BMW, BMW, BMW, Ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
    The rears on E30 and E36 non-M go pretty quickly, especially with more power and more tire.
    Just to clarify/add... They are different rear wheel bearings on an e36 M3 vs. e36 non-M. The M parts are physically larger, too.

On the e30, though, the M3 and the non-M do use the same rear wheel bearings as each other. This is a good thing to know if you ever need one in a bind... as I have in the past ;-)

My Cars
    scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Insoluble in common organic solvents? So what do you clean it up with?
    Nothing!! Wear gloves and don't get it(Krytox) on any clothing you don't want to ruin. Back in the day I used to assemble Uprights and Half-Shafts for Indy/Champ cars. At the time Krytox was the lube of choice for C/V's. It worked great, but it is nearly impossible to get off your skin and it won't come out of clothing. We later switched to a Synth. grease from Mobile 1.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Bumping a informative slightly older thread....Question For Ya's....

In the Middle of doing my Front Wheel Bearings (easy job so far, passenger side came right off) and Rears next weekend (trying to get my parts friend to source me some RRT's for back there).

Not paying close attention, I momentarily stuck the new Hub/Bearing (OEM) on backwards (just by hand, so no force), quickly realized it and pulled it off. The inner race (outside inner since it was backwards) stuck until I pulled it off. In the process, some of the factory grease came off on my glove. Not much, but some... (it's a clearish looking grease) I was thinking it might be a good idea to put some more back in there before I mount it permantly. So I picked up some Mobil 1 Synthetic Bearing Grease at Autozone....

My question, do you think it's ok to mix the Greases? I really don't want to take the Bearing all apart and clean up all the old stuff if possible....I'd rather just spread some of the colorful M1 stuff in there....

I know the Syth Oils mix fine with Dino stuff, I assume there would be no bad things by mixing the greases? (for all we know the stock grease is a Synth)

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    332TI, '06 330 XI
    Back from the dead! My track car has gone through 2 new rear wheel bearings (FAG brand) this season, the last one only lasted a day or so. It doesn't look like RRT is doing the bearings anymore, is there any other options out there beyond repacking them ourselves?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12