Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat and Mouse with an 03 SMG M3

My Cars
    IP S52 E30

Cat and Mouse with an 03 SMG M3

Video 40 MB

It belongs to my friend Chad. I had never driven, nor driven in, an E46 M3 until last Friday night. What you hear is my honest reaction - I loved it. I loved the comfortable size, amenities, the video game feel of the SMG paddles, and the ample, effortless power of the S54 as it blasted to the 8000 RPM redline. It was like a $60,000 arcade game. Simply awesome.

One note on the video - in the end, when we are screwing around, you will see the only real/fair matchup of my E36 M3 versus the E46 when 1. From my car, it comes swooping in on the right, and passes me, and then 2. The same video filmed from inside the E46 M3 (I believe you can hear the guy go "he was filming too!") - this was a fifth gear roll-on for both cars, and as you will see, I was on it much earlier than the E46, and he still gets by me pretty easily.

The above disclaimer is there only because in the video it looks like I am doing very well against him, but we never lined up side-by-side: There was no need, as his car is clearly much faster. Later, when we discussed it the next day, Chad goes "Damn Chris, your car really moves - I mean I wasn't struggling or anything, but your M3 was impressive."

Coming from an E46 M3 owner, I am satisfied. I got killed, but what a way to die!

Chris

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    Very nice, Chris. You should play around again when you get that AA supercharger in there.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Originally posted by Rel44 M3
    Very nice, Chris. You should play around again when you get that AA supercharger in there.
    It's going to be a while - I have decided on the NA OBDI/cams/etc route with a trip to Stickley for some personal dyno tuning. I think I will be following my friend, who has a Stickley-built OBDI 3.2L, when he heads down to see him for some dyno time. Then, when I am again used to that power, I will be contacting AA.
    Chris

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    Oh, that sounds awesome, too! So you're not tempted in doing a trade-up for the E46? Sounds like you had a blast test driving one.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Originally posted by Rel44 M3
    Oh, that sounds awesome, too! So you're not tempted in doing a trade-up for the E46? Sounds like you had a blast test driving one.
    As much as I loved it, I just love my E36 more.

If I get another M3, it is going to be an E30.
    Chris

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I dunno man... I really like the E46 M3 As soon as I fix a few of the items that it is lacking... I'll be grinning from ear to ear all the time.

Now I'm only grinning ear to ear 80% of the time until I find one of those deficiences... as soon as I fix those things ... bingo
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Originally posted by Kevlar
    I dunno man... I really like the E46 M3 As soon as I fix a few of the items that it is lacking... I'll be grinning from ear to ear all the time.

Now I'm only grinning ear to ear 80% of the time until I find one of those deficiences... as soon as I fix those things ... bingo
    I bet if I had made the jump to the E46 when I faced the decision that I would be totally in love with the car. I do like that it's pretty much finished from the factory - a set of coilovers, maybe the 3.91 diff upgrade (pricey, but I am sold on diff upgrades), and the car is perfect as it sits. In the end I just felt like I had seen my M3 through too many different states of tune and wasn't ready to give up on it just yet.
    Chris

My Cars
    '07 335i, '07 Ducati S4RS Testastretta
    How's it going, Chris? Hope things are treating you well up in New England. Are those rims in your sig p'shopped? They have to be, right?

Don't be a stranger.

My Cars
    Very nice, Chris!

My Cars
    F10 M5
    Chris!
    How are you brother?
    I say you stop spending on the E36, and look around for a used E46. You could return your car to stock, get several grand for all your mods, and pick yourself up the toy you really want!
    I can see you in one of those bad boys!
    Actually by buddy you met when we were at Rudfucker's with a stock silver M3 is getting his Brand Spanking New Estoril E46 M3!
    Bastard! I'll take pics for you!

G
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

My Cars
    2003 330i ZHP (6spd)
    i drove the SMG m3 for the first time on friday too... at my work... the car flies..hehe
    Current:
    2003 330i/6 ZHP Silbergrau on Black
    Previous Cars:
    2010 MGM Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    1999 ///M3 Titan Silber on Black
    1998 ///M3 Estoril Blau on Light Grey

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Originally posted by ///M Roadster
    How's it going, Chris? Hope things are treating you well up in New England. Are those rims in your sig p'shopped? They have to be, right?

Don't be a stranger.
    What's up Phil! Spring seems to finally be working its way through Massachusetts so my spirits are improving with the weather. And of course those wheels are photoshopped - I laugh every time I see my .sig pic.

Dave - Thanks!

Greg - I can't. I just can't. Mine is a love affair with this car that rivals that of any I have had with any female. The E46 just doesn't hold that same I must have it attraction for me that I still feel for my M3 every time I fire it up. When I drove the E46 I thought two things - That it was awesome, and that it was definitely not my next car. So far, only one has fit that bill, and I do not have the $100,000 to spend on it just yet.
    Chris

I must say you truly represent the E36 very well. Now that the E36 has become a more aged chassis the majority of them that I see are not modded with the class and respect they deserve. You on the other hand have kept it real. I have also driven the E46 and was in love with it from the moment I started the engine, its a gorgeous car with very little to change, but it just doesn't give me the same feeling my E36 does. I will stick by its side to the end. Plus I have yet to experience the feeling of seeing the face of some poor unsuspecting E46 driver as I pull away. Oh AA fulfill my dreams...

My Cars
    F10 M5
    Chris,
    I hear you on the E46. Not sure it's my next car either. If I could get a decent deal on a 993 Twin Turbo Porsche, then it's bye bye BMW... Then again, parts are much cheaper with the BMs.
    Hard choice.
    As for the love affair, I elope with my coupe every weekend!
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Andrew, Greg, thanks for understanding. My intent is to take nothing away from the excellence of the E46 M3, just that it does not look like it is for me. And, while the thought of matching the E46s power is nice, it is not really my burning goal, which is simply the constant improvement of my own M3. Also, Greg, had I been able to fit into an M Coupe, I would be in one now instead of the E36....you lucky dog.
    Chris

My Cars
    F10 M5
    Chris,
    You're a good sport!
    The M coupe is snug... Even for my 170lb frame!
    Maybe we could set up a McLarren style center console for you in a coupe! That would give you more room! No wifey tho...:12:

So what DO you forsee as the next toy? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Enjoy the toy!

PS - Corry got his Estoril E46 today! Since he works for the dealer, he's doing his own New Car Inspection! Good for him!
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Nice video there CMT..dude, your videos are always tight, and always tight write ups to accomodate the videos..keep up the awesome job

Dakargelb E36 M3

My Cars
    E30 325is
    Very nice video Chris and that picture you posted is pro quality. Everything was cool until I saw the dtmpower.net, give bimmerforums.com props next time.

Brian
    "To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die"
    -Carl Sagan

My Cars
    M
    This has to be one of the better videos Ive ever seen. Watching the car quickly light up its tires and than hit those curves on-point...and than the grand finale, M3 vs. M3. What sealed it for me was when the music dropped and the guy yelled out "What the hells he have in it?!"

Paradise Hotel located on Temptation Island
    My Cars
    '
    Are the rims in your sig photoshopped? They look like 20's

BMW Cigar And Gun Club Member #7

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Greg: The only car that gives me that insatiable burnin' yearnin right now is the 993 tt. Not so much the 996, which still has that untouchable-for-now apect about it, but I've been having some naughty thoughts lately about keeping the M3 as my daily driver year-round, and having a car that sits in the garage until the nicer months roll around. Black, with polished Kinesis K20's.

I have to stop, because the more I think about it, the harder it is to stop. :

OldSkoolBimmers: Thanks man! I appreciate the good press.

dallasbboy: Those cars are one DTM Power member and one DTM moderator....the URL is appropriate.

Distinctive: Very cool, man, Thanks. The timings worked out pretty well for a change, lately I haven't had much luck but this one turned out okay.

dave is cool: ....those wheels are 20" x 2.5" with a 45 ET running 125/15/HR-20 tires! Booya!
    Chris

My Cars
    F10 M5
    Chris!
    I have always been in love with the 993 turbo.
    A friend has one with 580HP. It was the most amazing thing I ever experience! I've never been compressed in my seat like that.

This is what I am saving my money for. The rims you mentioned sound perfect to!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

My Cars
    F10 M5
    I need this thing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (59.8 KB, 152 views)
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

My Cars
    IP S52 E30
    Insane!
    Chris

My Cars
    94 318i
    Nice vid! I think the best part of the video is when the guy filming from the e46 m3 says "What the hell does he have in it?"

What's that song in the background? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast