Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY--swapping Z3 steering wheels

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed

Post DIY--swapping Z3 steering wheels

As some of you noticed, I recently swapped out my 3-spoke OEM steering wheel for a different OEM wheel that I liked better. My original wheel was all black, and early on I painted the tabs "aluminum" to match the monochrome interior mods I was doing. Recently though, I wanted to take it a step further and get a new wheel altogether.

IMPORTANT NOTE: this DIY is for the 2-stage airbag wheel that I believe was introduced starting with the 04/99 production cars. If you have the earlier 1-stage airbag wheels, the steps may differ, and the steering wheels themselves may be incompatible.

Items you'll need for the job: Standard socket set (metric) with additional T-30 torx adapter, breaker-bar, phillips screwdriver, compatible steering wheel, slipring, and airbag.

First, here is the OEM wheel after I had painted the tabs:

And here is the wheel I installed in its place--they are the same diameter, even though it doesn't appear so here:

Here are the steps I went through...

Your car will need to be parked with the steering wheel 'locked' so there is no ability for it to rotate while you're removing it. (Hint: when you lock the steering wheel in place try to get the wheel perfectly "level" so it's not turned to one side or the other--this will help later on when installing the new wheel).

The first thing to remember when dealing with any electrical component of the car is to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. Leave it disconnected for a few minutes before doing anything else.

You will need to remove the original wheel by first removing its airbag. To do this, you need to unscrew two T-30 Torx bolts from behind each side of the wheel, as denoted by the arrow in the following image:

When pulling the airbag unit toward you, you will notice that the electrical wiring is still connected from the airbag to the wheel. Disconnect the wiring harness that's attached to the rear of the airbag unit to remove the airbag completely. Don't remove the steering wheel yet.

Next, remove the trim that surrounds the steering column. The following image shows where a phillips screw is underneath the column that needs to be removed first.

Now the lower plastic covering can be removed. It simply snaps to the upper covering around the column and can be easily pulled apart by hand. You'll need to wind it around the cruise-control stalk on the right side to get it off the rest of the way. This image shows the exposed wiring. Disconnect the harness that leads to the slip-ring of the wheel (red arrow).

The next step will be to remove the steering wheel from the steering column. Looking at the following image, you will need to remove the large hex-bolt in the center of the wheel. I forget the size of the bolt, but most standard-range socket sets will include the proper sized socket to remove it.

Once the bolt is removed, you can pull the steering wheel toward you to remove it. You may need some gentle tapping with a rubber mallet to coax it loose. Now your steering column looks like this...

Install your new wheel by reversing the instructions above, but don't snap or screw your airbag into the wheel completely yet (ie. connect its wiring to the wheel and to the steering column, and hold it into its slot, but don't push it in so it snaps into place yet). Reconnect the battery and do a test-drive around the block to check that the wheel is oriented properly.

You may find that the steering wheel is cocked to one side or other if you didn't exactly line up the teeth in the steering column with the teeth on the wheel. That's why earlier I suggested locking the old wheel in the "ortho" position--you may get lucky and slide the new wheel on and happen to get the teeth lined up properly. Unfortunately for me, it was one tooth off and I had to realign the wheel for it to be level. Once you've verified that the steering wheel is level, tighten the hex bolt fully and click the airbag into it's slot.

My new airbag clicked into place by pressing firmly on each side. Depending on which wheel you install, yours might screw into place.

I hope you find this information helpful! I'm very happy with my new wheel, and while it wasn't cheap, I feel that it really matches what I done with the rest of the cockpit. One added bonus is that it's fairly unique--these wheels aren't common in the US at all. Mine had to be specially ordered from europe. If you're interested, there is more information on this steering wheel mod in this separate thread:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...light=next+mod

Click on the link below my signature to see my other mods, including other cockpit changes that tie in with this steering wheel.
    Last edited by cngizbleevng; 10-20-2007 at 08:07 AM.

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    Nice write up, also very nice looking wheel. I'd get one too but darn, that's really expensive.
    Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    You selling your M steering wheel?

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by jr1966 View Post
    You selling your M steering wheel?

Yes, but the 2 stage airbag may not be compatible with your '97, unless you're good at redoing the wiring. I did recently read that that could be done. Also, I'm not sure if there was a change in the slipring when they went with a 2-stage bag.
    Last edited by cngizbleevng; 10-24-2007 at 09:20 AM.

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by cngizbleevng View Post
    Yes, but the 2 stage airbag may not be compatible with your '97, unless you're good at redoing the wiring. I did recently read that that could be done. Also, I'm not sure if there was a change in the slipring when they went with a 2-stage bag.
    Still interested. How much?

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    I'm thinking about $440 shipped for the whole thing, or $240 for just the wheel (no airbag). It's in excellent condition. The painted tabs can easily be repainted to whatever color you want. I'd rather sell it together if possible. PM me if interested.

There's been some interest in it here and on the other forums, but I may end up ebaying it too, unless someone PMs me before I get around to it.

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by cngizbleevng View Post
    I'm thinking about $440 shipped for the whole thing, or $240 for just the wheel (no airbag). It's in excellent condition. The painted tabs can easily be repainted to whatever color you want. I'd rather sell it together if possible. PM me if interested.

There's been some interest in it here and on the other forums, but I may end up ebaying it too, unless someone PMs me before I get around to it.
    As I will be leaving for the airport in a few hours and will be gone for 8 days with hardly any internet access, I won't be able to correspond further. I'll check on you when I get back next week. Thanks!

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    No problem. A couple other guys had showed some interest earlier and I just PMed them about the sale. Pretty soon I'm planning a "Z3 garage sale" for some of the extra items I've accumulated that I need to sell (Hardtop, door panels, water pumps, steering wheel, cockpit cover, etc.).

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    BTW, in case you didn't get the idea from the DIY info above, this is a very easy mod. It only takes about 2 hours overall. Now that I know what I'm doing, I could probably do it in 45 minutes.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    You'll want to double-check on shipping the airbag, as it may be considered "hazardous" by most shippers.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    When I had the new airbag shipped to me, it had a bunch of stickers inside the box regarding "hazardous materials", but nothing on the outside of the box to indicate that. I thought to myself, what was the point of the stickers inside the box?

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    Nice write up, also very nice looking wheel. I'd get one too but darn, that's really expensive.
    Thanks, I hear ya about the expense.

My Cars
    '13 BMW 335i Convertible
    I'll trade you seats for the hardtop, I'll even come to you to get them
    Coming Soon: 2013 335i M-Sport Convertible

My Cars
    06' Lotus Elise
    Say i get a momo...Will my airbag light stay on even though the plug is disconected? and would the horn work.
    Sold

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3RO 2 6T View Post
    Say i get a momo...Will my airbag light stay on even though the plug is disconected? and would the horn work.
    the airbag light will stay on because the plug is disconnected.

The horn will work assuming you connect it properly to the momo wheel.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by enyrgee View Post
    I'll trade you seats for the hardtop, I'll even come to you to get them
    Still trying to work me over.

I did just post the Arctic Silver hardtop in the classified section, but she ain't cheap. I don't know about the seats though. I still have that set staring me in the face every time I go into the garage.

My Cars
    '05 GTO
    I'm glad this thread came back up. I missed it the first time around. My car came with a Momo wheel and a lit airbag light. I bought an OEM steering wheel, but I've been putting off installing it because I didn't know about a couple of the install steps and I've been too lazy to even look it up in the manual. This makes it clear just how easy it is. Maybe I can squeeze it in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3RO 2 6T View Post
    It's possible to hook up the horn with the right parts. You can also fool the system into turning the light off. It involves hooking up a resistor. If you search for "airbag resistor" you should find plenty of relevant info.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbrown9 View Post
    I'm glad this thread came back up. I missed it the first time around. My car came with a Momo wheel and a lit airbag light. I bought an OEM steering wheel, but I've been putting off installing it because I didn't know about a couple of the install steps and I've been too lazy to even look it up in the manual. This makes it clear just how easy it is. Maybe I can squeeze it in soon.
    Yes, it is as simple as it looks. 2 hours max, and that's if you goof around.

My Cars
    '02 M Roadster

Nut that holds the wheel...

It is a bolt actually, I believe 16mm which does NOT come with most socket sets. Fortunately if you have SEA sockets 5/8 works fine.

Also, I would not use the steering lock as the thing to hold the wheel while you use the breaker to loosen the bolt. Could damage the lock! Unlock the lock and use your other hand to hold the wheel.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by beofservice View Post
    It is a bolt actually, I believe 16mm which does NOT come with most socket sets. Fortunately if you have SEA sockets 5/8 works fine.

Also, I would not use the steering lock as the thing to hold the wheel while you use the breaker to loosen the bolt. Could damage the lock! Unlock the lock and use your other hand to hold the wheel.
    Random thread revival... I've removed the thing a dozen times like this without issue.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 roadster
    Wow that is really digging up an old thread, but while it has been revived I would love to see a write up like this for the single stage to double stage conversion.

I guess I like blue....Focus ST & 1997 2.8i

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by gbirkemeier View Post
    Wow that is really digging up an old thread, but while it has been revived I would love to see a write up like this for the single stage to double stage conversion.
    I would also like to know if this is possible. If it was just the SRS module and airbags it wouldn't be too bad, but I'm assuming the old wire harness may not support dual stage.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I like that wheel, I had one in my e46, however it wasn't as thick and looks a little odd without buttons.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8, 98 M Coupe
    Old thread revival, since I just did this swap on my '97 and took photos.

Should be able to view the Facebook gallery: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=e5148dc59e
    Last edited by ssbuchanan; 02-16-2013 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Bad link
    '97 Z3 2.8 - Montreal Blue, Beige
    Mods - RD Fr. strut brace; Short antenna; Hifi LCD+AUX; BMW soft-top; TMS RSM; K&N air; Bilstein struts; H&R Springs; Pedders camber/toe; extra padded M stitched 3 spoke steering wheel ...
    To Do - Interior overhaul; rear window; lightweight rims ...

'98 M Coupe - Cosmos Black, Imola

My Cars
    Z3 3.0i Roadster, E39 530i, Toyota Previa S/C
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbuchanan View Post
    Old thread revival, since I just did this swap on my '97 and took photos.

Should be able to view the Facebook gallery: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=e5148dc59e
    nice! but looks like next step might be to get the dash removed to re-upholdster?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast