Thread: Need help diagnosing a noise (m)

My Cars
    325ci SP 5M

Question Need help diagnosing a noise (m)

Need some insight on what may be causing a noise I'm hearing: sounds like it's coming from the right front wheel area. It's a rythmic metellic scratching/chirping noise that I only hear at slow speeds. At first, I thought that maybe it was sand getting into the brake calipers or something, but I hear it everyday, so it's probably not that. I've mentioned this everytime I bring it into service, and they can never find anything wrong with the brakes or suspension. Yet the noise is there.

Can anyone suggest what parts in the wheel/brake/suspension assembly might cause this kind of noise? Wheel bearings maybe??

Thanks in advance...

My Cars
    2011 335
    do you hear it during turns or straight runs? You hear it going over speed bumps or potholes?
    ---------------
    "The beating will continue until morale improves."

My Cars
    325ci SP 5M
    I hear the noise both when travelling straight as well as turning. However, when I turn, the noise gets a more pronounced.

My Cars
    325ci SP 5M
    *bump*

My Cars
    2011 335
    Hm..guessed you've looked at the area while the car is parked with the wheels turned all the way to see if it is rubbing on anything.
    ---------------
    "The beating will continue until morale improves."

My Cars
    98 328is
    Have you recently driven over a curb or a large pothole? Could be some front bearing damage. I recently had an incident with a curb and had them give me the hub when they replaced it and there was small, but not insignificant damage to the bearing. At slow speeds it would squeak, and and get louder the faster I go (this was due to the more major damage). And the sound would get louder when turning...imo
    Glenn
    '98 328is - Arctic Silver

=============================

My Cars
    non-bmw...for now
    Have you checked the rotor shield on the backside of the rotor? It could be slightly bent and rubbing against the rotor.
    stockWERKZ

"Time cannot be influenced by mankind. It gives each of us a beginning and an end.
    And this makes us question the significance of what comes between. But if you can
    create something time cannot erode, something which ignores the eccentricities of
    particular eras or moments...something that is truly timeless, this is the ultimate victory."
    - Dr. Ing. h.c.F Porsche