Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putting a baby seat in e34

My Cars
    '89 325iX, '93 525iT
    Now where's the fun in that?...last time I checked it was 2pts for a cone, 1 point per second early or late, and no points for markers or "support crew". The whole fun of motorsport photography is dodging the guy with the camera(s).
    -M

The rest of the fleet: '06 WRX, '01 Forester EJ205
    '90 325iX 4dr, '89 325iX, '91 318i, '89 525i, '71 2002, '99 528iT

Amish Mob - Monitoring those who misinform, and those concerned with Misinformation since 1997

My Cars
    E30s
    that is easily the sweetest and only touring 7 passanger I've ever. X5s can't even accommodate seven.

My Cars
    89 535i, 02 x5s, 03 530i
    you probably want to take the backwindow off, if the window shocks give out a little it will shatter the glass on the rifle barrel. also if you are going to be having a rear facing shooter, I would suggest a pintel mount for the gun. nothing sucks more than a fully automatic weapon spraying the inside of a BMW during a drift at speed.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    I meant camera...

For guns I just open the sunroof...

My Cars
    '89 325iX, '93 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    I meant camera...

For guns I just open the rear sunroof...
    Fixed
    -M

The rest of the fleet: '06 WRX, '01 Forester EJ205
    '90 325iX 4dr, '89 325iX, '91 318i, '89 525i, '71 2002, '99 528iT

Amish Mob - Monitoring those who misinform, and those concerned with Misinformation since 1997

My Cars
    Techno M3/4 R.I.P:(, Turbo e28, 95 525iT
    those were some pretty scary and sad videos. i dont know if you guys watched them. im pretty glad i did because i was actually thinking about buying a booster seat for my 4 year old. i think i will skip it. i think i will be calling about the tether pieces tomorrow too. does anyone know, do these work like the latch system? where do you anchor the top of the carseat?
    I like to touch people's hearts, it's what i do best!

My Cars
    e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by puppypilgrim View Post
    (MODERATORS: feel free to make this a sticky).

Fourth, a tether strap anchor is NOT AN OPTION for forward facing car seats. Your child will suffer injury even in a mild fender bender due to the forces involved.
    great info, and very easy to understand. but is the above quote a typo? my understanding (and also on this website http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html) is that the anchor is for front-facing seats only. it attaches to the top rear of the seat to tie the childseat to the car's seat in 3 locations instead of only 2.

can you please confirm what you meant?

thanks, ian.
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

My Cars
    e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoM3Girl View Post
    those were some pretty scary and sad videos. i dont know if you guys watched them. im pretty glad i did because i was actually thinking about buying a booster seat for my 4 year old. i think i will skip it. i think i will be calling about the tether pieces tomorrow too. does anyone know, do these work like the latch system? where do you anchor the top of the carseat?
    if you look at Q's post you'll see the anchor mounts. they are just behind the rear seat, at the front end of the toolkit cavity.

if you go into the dealership and ask for a child seat anchor kit, they'll sell you the bolt and hardware needed. mine had it in stock. i believe you then anchor the child seat over the top of the seatback, and down to the floor, much like a racing harness.
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

My Cars
    Alpina B10 Bi-Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgearhead View Post
    great info, and very easy to understand. but is the above quote a typo? my understanding (and also on this website http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html) is that the anchor is for front-facing seats only. it attaches to the top rear of the seat to tie the childseat to the car's seat in 3 locations instead of only 2.

can you please confirm what you meant?

thanks, ian.
    Sorry the message was unclear Ian. Reading it again I see how it can be interpreted both ways. What I meant to emphasize what if a parent puts their child in a forward position, they MUST SECURE the tether strap correctly for the safety design to work properly. Some parents may put their child in a forward facing position without properly securing the tether strap because they don't want to drill holes or "ruin the upholstery".

So bottom line, when you deploy a forward facing car seat, you MUST also secure the tether strap. As a general remark, the tether strap should be pulled as tight as humanly possible. The tether strap is meant to prevent the forward tipover motion in the event of a vehicular impact as shown in the videos.
    1990 BMW Alpina B10 Bi-Turbo (37/507)

My Cars
    1995 540i/6sp - 2001 525it - 1994 525it
    We have 2 boys and 4 bmws. the car seats all fit in any of the cars. Both forward and rear facing. We drive a 1994 525it, 1995 540i/6sp, 2001 525it, and 2001 325ci convertible. You need to look a bit for seats as bmws have a narrow seat width and some bases are so wide on the car seat that they cover the seat belt plug. That said a bit of trial and error and you will be fine. As discussed before use a retention clip to keep the car seat tight.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    I have a touring and I'm looking to install those tether setups behind the rear seat. I've found all the parts on RealOEM, except for the white threaded inserts that the tether bolts go into. Has anyone purchased these? If so, part number? My car does not have them pre-installed.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but it seems to make sense here.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    I wish i knew.

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    This is a good thread, can't believe I missed it.

I had a hard time getting my sons car seat to mount correctly, for some reason the center lap belt doesn't fit right. The buckle length of belt is too long.

If I have to take him anywhere we just take the e39, wich it fits in perfectly.

When the e34 was designed I don't think they thought about carseat safety like they do now.
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    Does anyone know something about the Touring child seat tether mounts behind the rear seat? I want to put these in my car but I cannot find any information on them.

- how are those white inserts mounted in the holes?
    - where can I get those white inserts?

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Reviving this old thread. I want to install forward facing car seat on passenger side. Can't use center location because I'm pretty tall and there will be no space behind me.

I got it as far as holding car seat to the bottom with belt. Belt clip required. Thats OK

Now, for tether strap..

1. Where "behind" rear seat this hook should be found? Does it mean I need to remove rear seat back to see it? Does it mean I have to unbolt rear seat back to find and mount to it? Doesn't sound right..

2. I installed E32 headrests, The way those built - there will be no way to get strap other than over it. Looks like I will need to remove it completely when car seat installed?

My Cars
    e34 535i and 98 528i
    There is no rear seat hook. The car was built before that was a thing. You can add them but I never used the rear hook in the two car seats I had in my 535i.

Andy

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by south42 View Post
    There is no rear seat hook. The car was built before that was a thing. You can add them but I never used the rear hook in the two car seats I had in my 535i.

Andy
    I didn't use it when in E39 either (Also maybe E39 had it)
    But this topic freaked me out Gettin older too

Fourth, a tether strap anchor is NOT AN OPTION for forward facing car seats. Your child will suffer injury even in a mild fender bender due to the forces involved.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Shown in the below pic, there are 3 rear shelf anchors that are (I believe and you need to confirm) for anchoring baby seats. I used them to bolt down the rear shelf so it doesn't vibrate because of the sub. You can see them from inside the trunk, just look up. I think they take an M8 bolt.

You will need something like this to install. This one is for a Benz but BMW should have one also.

demet

My Cars
    1993 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    This is a good thread, can't believe I missed it.

I had a hard time getting my sons car seat to mount correctly, for some reason the center lap belt doesn't fit right. The buckle length of belt is too long.

If I have to take him anywhere we just take the e39, wich it fits in perfectly.

When the e34 was designed I don't think they thought about carseat safety like they do now.
    Got them in both my (euro spec Aus delivered) 1993 540i's, both sides, I used them for my son's seats in both. Hook is on top of parcel shelf just behind each headrest, bolt and nut is installed from inside the boot through a hole in the frame. Maybe that was a requirement of Australian regulations.
    Last edited by bennyg; 04-19-2018 at 09:53 PM.

1993 BMW 540i

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    Shown in the below pic, there are 3 rear shelf anchors that are (I believe and you need to confirm) for anchoring baby seats. I used them to bolt down the rear shelf so it doesn't vibrate because of the sub. You can see them from inside the trunk, just look up. I think they take an M8 bolt.

You will need something like this to install. This one is for a Benz but BMW should have one also.

Yeah, they often come with the seat itself.
    If you're lucky katit2 you should have the holes in the parcel tray shown in the pic above where the bolts are in. Also the parcel shelf should have a welded in nut the same pitch and dia as the child seat belt's anchor bolt pictured above.
    I put mine on the passenger side as my seat is all the way back, so not enough room for my kid to get into the rear seat behind the driver/me, and also too unstable on the centre hump (on my exes commodore the seat is in the middle though as that's best if you could do it imo)

I sent a drill bit up on the passenger side up from the boot to find when it came out inside, then carefully cut a hole inside the size of the spacer through the parcel shelf.
    I think when researching this last year that aussie ones where set up for this, and maybe euros, but possibly not every country? Anyway, deadset easy on an aussie delivered car, and the bolt that came with the seat fit the BMW welded nut fine as they they have been standardized here for a long time so e34s sent here are compatible
    Last edited by fo3; 04-20-2018 at 04:14 AM.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    I did more researching yesterday and placed order. Carseat definitely does not have anything. Even belt lock not included, they list 800 number in manual for older cars if I need one.

Anyway.. I just did whole upholstery and rear shelf covered in alcantara No holes yet. But I will put one, got good idea on what I need. Rear headreast will have to be removed while carseat installed.

Parts were ~$20 from ECS. Hook, bolt, washer and cap.

# 14-17

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=72_0085

For some reason #18 grayed out and no PN. Wonder if I don't need any standoff in E34? Threaded hole located through the trunk. What I'm going to do is to use sharp pick to make a hole from below. Then will see if anything else needed. If I need standoff of some kind - I will be able to machine it myself (extra hobby time )

It looks like solid mounting not a problem in E34, which is good! I drive my son to daycare every day and E34 parked most of the time, need to give it more use
    Last edited by katit2; 04-20-2018 at 10:23 AM.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    And it's done. Now. Parts came in, just to summarize: Need kit for rear strap. Need belt locking clip. Other than that - car seat installed, son loves riding in a car.
    s2.jpgs1.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12