Thread: Need help with new turbo problems

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR

Need help with new turbo problems

I have installed my new turbo, now its spewing out my exhaust white smoke with bluish tint. Some oil comes out between the downpipe and the exhaust of the turbo. It smokes then goes away after i drive for about 2 min. Is the oil coming from my engine or is it coming from the turbo. Do the bearings or seals need to seat in the turbo? The mechanic had to rotate the turbo configuration so the oil drain points down and compressore points up. If not tighten after rotation, will this cause oil to come out?

TIA

Yih-Woei

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    I would say leaking hg.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Give more details about your setup. If you havent run your car aggressively since the turbo install and there is no real reason to have a blown HG, I would definitely say it is the turbo. Maybe the position at which your mechanic installed the turbo is causing the oil not to drain correctly. Was your turbo used by any chance?

My Cars
    sc/m3,harley's,big turbo evo
    Sounds like the oil seal on the turbo.i had the same problem on my 911 turbo it would smoke until it got warm then stop.Eventually the seal failed and it would just drain out of the exhaust pipe.
    95 Dinan m3,stg 2 rms

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    Was the turbo brand new? Turbo oil seals can make you think your engine is blowing the smoke.

Also, a really easy check is to look at your SPARK PLUGS. If they are clean as usual, its probably the turbo. If your car is burning a lot of oil, the plugs aren't going to be very pretty.

Good Luck,

My Cars
    E36M3 Turbo 1100hp, E46M3 Turbo under surgery
    Is it good to brake in of a brand new turbo? What do people at World Rally Championship do in case a turbo fails? Put a new one and WOT till the flag. I am not against brake in but how long does brake in process prolong the life of a part or by how many miles?

Mert
    www.da-motorsport
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

E46 M3 SMG under turbo surgery

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR
    Mechtech kit, but i bought a T3/60-1 HiFi Garrett new
    External Waste

Spark plugs are not oilly

Talked to the guy i bought the turbo from and he said there is a over pressure valve in the turbo. So when too much pressure cause the oil is not draining properly, it vents it out the exhuast side. He told me it wasnt a blown seal. I hear ppl say the seal is broken.

The guy who did my install said this is the way the oil drain should be. See how it goes back up. Should he fix that and try to make it go down? Or is there another way?

With what the seller of the turbo said, is that true? Will i still bread that seal? Is my seal broken?

My Cars
    Turbo M3
    i think it needs to be down. so gravity pulls it into the oil pan. look at mine

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR
    So what do i do? Is there anywhere on the pan that they can drill lower? Is it goin to be hard to plug up that old hole?

The guy said we cant use a hose like yours mrdoenutz to drain because there is oil pressure there and it may blow. Is that true?

My Cars
    Turbo M3
    i dunno, my system was done by AA, so i know, my setup is ok, i doubt AA would use that hose if their was a chance of it blowing.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    From the pics, it definitely looks like you need address the drain from the turbo. There are two solutions to your problem.

1. Re-route the drain that that gravity drains it (i.e., making the drain snake down as perpendicular as possible to the ground, of course with some curvature so it doesn't kink).

2. Buy an external oil pump to make sure the oil is being drained properly.

As you can tell, solution 1 is much easier, but if your turbo needs to sit that low, solution 2 may be the one you have to go with.
    Last edited by ///MCubed; 03-25-2003 at 10:52 AM.

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    guc32,
    Get rid of that restrictive blue anondized elbow if you can! The drain side is supposed to be low pressure and mrdoenutz hose is larger diameter which makes it easier for the oil to drain from the turbo.
    Think of it as a garden hose. What goes in must go out. If you have a small line like the AN6 going into the turbo, the oil pressure will higher.

It is much the same way as in your power steering pump. One side is the pressure side that you cannot use just a rubber hose and clamp on, whereas the other side is low pressure and a hose with a clamp works just fine.

Get a larger diameter oil resistant tube and put in in there in place of that restrictive drain line. It looks nice, but it is causing high pressure throughout the turbo and placing too much pressure on the oil seals.

Take Care,

My Cars
    former E46 owner
    I'm not sure about a turbo, but I know this could happen on a s/c by a back blow of oil into the turbines. just an idea.I would check all hoses and connections
    "If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable."

My Cars
    Bmw E36 330i , Mazda 3

Drain

The return oil line from the turbo must be able to drain down with no restriction.

Plus the return line in the oil pan has to be above the oil line in the oil pan.

If you over fill or tap below the oil line the oil will not drain properly and you will get smoke at idle and possible damage the oil seal on the turbo.

You will have created too much pressure from the oil not being able to drain properly at the seals.

Look like there is a problem on your setup the oil does not drain down. Looks like it goes down then up then into the oil pan.

You have to find a way that there is no backup of oil in the return line.
    AA Stage 1 Gen III, BMP head gasket, Bored Throttle Body, 3.0"DnPipe & Custom exhaust with AA Gen 2, Aquamist 1s water/methanol injection,
    Last dynojet Aug 02 248c SAE 369whp/354ft-lbs at 10.5psi, 1/4mile 12.6@116mph
    New Sept 02 Head work and exhaust porting, April 04:UUC Pulleys, Turbo to intercooler pipe 2.5" Aug 04 3.5"HFM,11.5psi

My Cars
    95 540i6:04 Navi
    The AA turbo stage 2 plus with the T-61 uses an external oil pump to drain the oil out of the turbo back into the oil pan. Works perfectly.

BBS RC 18X8.5 et13:245/40/18:Koni SA/H&R Sport/M5 3mm Upper Spring Pads/M5T 25mm/20mm Swaybars/Racing King Subframe Inserts/Magnaflow High Flow Cats/Magnaflow Exhaust/3 Inch Tips/Euro Clears/32%Tint/40% on Windshield/6500K HID H1's Headlights and Fogs/Depo Smilies/Factory Shadowline Trim/Shadowline Grill/93 Octane EAT Chip/M5 License Plate Holder/UUC Short Shift Kit/3.15 LSD/ More to Come...

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR
    What oil pump is that slvr98? Would i still need to drain with gravity to the pump? Do you have any pics of that installation?

Does anyone know which is a good pump to use or how to properly hook one up?

Thanks

My Cars
    None
    Guc32,

The external pump installation for the turbo is really complicated. You can check out the pictures on the AA Website under the "Cars of the Moment". Look at Bertha and I think Slver98M3.

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR
    Looks like that is goin to be my only option.

What is all involved in an oil pump? Cant really tell where is all the lines goin to on the bertha pics. Slver98M3 does not show the pump.

Slvr98 M can you help me out or anyone actually.
    Last edited by guc32; 03-27-2003 at 09:06 PM.

My Cars
    I would have to get underneath and take pics for you. I would also recommend call Karl at AA so he can explain the process. You will also need a sump as well.

BBS RC 18X8.5 et13:245/40/18:Koni SA/H&R Sport/M5 3mm Upper Spring Pads/M5T 25mm/20mm Swaybars/Racing King Subframe Inserts/Magnaflow High Flow Cats/Magnaflow Exhaust/3 Inch Tips/Euro Clears/32%Tint/40% on Windshield/6500K HID H1's Headlights and Fogs/Depo Smilies/Factory Shadowline Trim/Shadowline Grill/93 Octane EAT Chip/M5 License Plate Holder/UUC Short Shift Kit/3.15 LSD/ More to Come...

My Cars
    Found it, this is the oil pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    This is the pic of the sump, its the black container like in front of the oil pan and the x brace with the tube coming out of it.

My Cars
    One more pic of the oil pump

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR
    Wow thanks. Did you know how much is that set up?

Thanks

My Cars
    Not too sure it was a package deal.