Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Need Tires..please give any suggestions!

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan

Need Tires..please give any suggestions!

i have a 95 M3 DAILY DRIVER with stock suspensions AND with LTW Staggered setup. I need to get a set of tires for both front and rear.

fronts 225/45/17
    Rears 245/40/17

what i want from these tires
    TO HAVE GOOD PERFORMANCE ( HANDLING) AND SOME WHAT MOST IMPORTANT..... TO LAST LONG.

WHAT TIRES DO YOU GUYS SUGGEST? i'M IN THE S. CALIFONORNIA AREA.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

what i have on them now are Michelin Pilots MXX3

My Cars
    '08 LS460; '16 NX200t
    Have a 98M3 sedan w/ H&R's (sport) and Bilstein's w/ the stock staggered setup in same tire sizes. Just changed my rears to Bridgestone Potenza RE730's of same size. They recently came out w/ this tire, seems to be a pretty good value compared to the Potenza RE010, S-02,03's and new Michelin Pilot Sports. The stock Pilot MXX3's seemed to wear pretty fast, had them on another car before with similar results. The RE730's handling seems no different than the MXX3's, although just changing the rears may not be a good test indicator. Can't tell about the tire wear yet though. Check out tirerack.com to see what's available and get a general idea of pricing. They also have comments from buyers related to specific tires...this might help.

M3Jokster,
    I think the Toyo Proxes T1-S are your best bet as they seem to meet ur criteria pretty well. the Bridgestone 730's are also nice but lately I've heard they get a lil on the loud side as they wear.
    Both tires should cost about the $150-$160 range. I used to have the Yoko AVS sports ($170ish) but they wore out quickly. I'm currently running 235/40-17 Kumho Ecsta 712's all around and have been fairly happy with them.
    hope this helps
    Tony

My Cars
    '05 CB M3

Talking

I got the T1s on my M3 235/40 R17s. The tires lasted a decent amount of time but for the price its pretty tough to swallow. In Hawaii Toyos will cost you a pretty penny. I have Bridgestone RE730s coming in from TireRack. For the price can't beat it! $150 a tire or so.

I really like my Sumi HTR ZII. THey are definitely the cheapest of the bunch, but price wasn't really my main objective. THey handle great on the street, have worn well so far and are pretty quiet and I like the way they look.

My buddy with an S4 is running them as his street tires and has only good things to say. I would probably buy them again.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is Touring Car, 2004 Dodge Ram

Wink Toyo T1-S

For the best overall street / Track tire, I'd go with the Toyo T1-S.

The T1-S is the closest I've seen a street tire come to R-Compound performance.

Now, if you're going to have a separate set of track tires from street tires, then your options are quite a bit more open.

I've run the Michelin Pilot Sports, which performed well for me, but wore out rather quickly. The Pilot MXX3 handled great in the dry, but really sucked in the wet.

I haven't run Yoko AVS, but I was consistently lapping another guy in a recent driving school on my Toyo T1-S vs his M3 on AVS.

I've heard great things about the S-02 and now the S-03 Pole Positions. For a change, I'd be tempted to try those tires out.

No experience with Kumho as a street tire (The Victoracer is a great track tire though).

Pat

My Cars
    02' 95' M3's, 91' 318is
    toyo's are good for what you want.