Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microfilter/pollen filter DIY

It's actually not that bad. I can replace mine in about 30 minutes or so.

My Cars
    1998 328iC
    lol, it was most likely a bit of an afterthought. Back in 1991 having a cabin filter was quite a special thing (at least in Europe). I'm with you though on the over-complexifying!
    Current BMWs
    E36 328i Convertible in Orient Blue

Previous BMWs - E46 318i Touring (2003) *sold*, E36 325iC Boston Green/Tan/Black top (1995) *sold*, E39 523i SE Nautilus Blue/Sand Beige (1998) *sold*, E36 325i SE Auto Vulcan Grey/Black Cloth (1991) *sold*, E30 325i Blue/Grey Cloth (1988) *sold*

My Cars
    2001 325Ci Steel Grey
    My glovebox needs repaired/replaced anyway. Will be doing this while I am at it. Doesn't seem like too much trouble.

My Cars
    1997 318i
    Replace the "cabin fileter" FORGET ABOUT IT ! Don't do it!!!! I have a '97 vert E36. watched the videos and bot the filter. vent cover and glovebox come out with screws and a bolt, BUT then you are faced with a ton of computer wiring. The filter is on the side and
    way in the back. Obviously the Sales Dept. said to give us a "cabin filter" and they stuck the thing in a place where you can't get to it. NO WAY am i removing the electrical sub structure. I mean, anything can be done,
    and if you want to start dis-assembling your car, go for it. I stopped, and don't want even a factory mechanic to have to try and move the electrical wiring sub structure. That is just asking for a problem. So: it's a "filter" that really cannot be changed, because you can't get to it w/o tearing the car apart. BMW really dropped the ball on this one. Like the car, but HVAC they cannot do.

My Cars
    1996 bmw 328i
    Just replaced my filter in my 96 328i sedan. What a PITA. I greatly appreciate all the postings in this DIY'er for the filter.

I ran into problems, all of which others addressed. I took the glove box off; removed the bottom vent and snapped out the electrical harness. I really thought i broke that harness when it snapped out....

My filter was quite black; glad I changed it out, much better AC now.

Biggest hastle was getting the bottom trim panel back in and aligned below the glove box.....

all together took me just over an hour. Next time, I hope i don't have to remove the glove box.

cheers,

Gus in Vegas

My Cars
    1997 328i, 2008 125i
    I know this is an old thread, but for right hand drive cars, do you genuinely need to break the filter into three to get it in? It has to be broken like this to get it out.
    Unfortunately for all of us unlucky enough to have a RHD car (mine is an E36 328i) the steering column is in the path of removing the filter in a straight line. I thought about dropping the column but I don't think it'll go low enough to make things any better so I am thinking it probably does need to have the frame broken into 3 so it can be bent as it goes in....am I right in thinking this?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    On some models there are special filters for RHD which can be split http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E32/Microfilter/MF-11.jpg Check the BMW ETK realoem.com for the p/n and then google, usually available from U.K. See here the version for the E32 RHD
    http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E32/Microfilter/Index.htm
    U.K. BF has a DIY for the E36 RHD cabin filter https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...t-rhd-t225778/
    quote: I struggled with getting it past the steering column and then I read something someone else did, I gently cracked these tabs and it allowed me to feed it in section by section holding it close to the centre console - thereby missing the steering column

Cabin filter replacement E36 RHD only! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCUoUhifySY
    Last edited by shogun; 09-16-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1997 328i, 2008 125i
    Thanks! I'll give this a try

My Cars
    1997 328i, 2008 125i
    Good news, my new filter had the thinned out sections at the 1/3 and 2/3 length and so I was able to crack it into 3rds and then curve it into place.
    I'll have to say the least conventional pollen filter replacement I have ever done but not too difficult in the end. Thanks for the advice.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is

filter

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkeN View Post
    I can't find the filter there pls help mi car is e36 316 coupe without klima 94year
    YOURS IS UNDER COWLING under hood where wipers rest

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123