Thread: interest in 7 series....

My Cars
    325i

interest in 7 series....

Hey I found a 740i that i am interested in looking into. I wanted to know what you all think of them. I currently drive a 95 325i. I have always had a deep burning luv for the 7 series. I found a 95' 740i for good price and seems to be in real good shape. You think it would be stupid to switch to it? I have had my car for almost 2 years now, and kinda want something different. R the 7's alot more expensive to maintain and insure? wht are some downfalls for having one?
    thanks!

My Cars
    E46S54B32
    be careful if it has the nikasil engine. (not sure when BMW stopped producing those).

My Cars
    325i
    ok, thanks for the tip! I just read up about that! I guess that is one thing I will need to ask the guy about the car! If he had it replaced then it should be fine!
    We were somewhere around Barstow when the drugs began to take hold.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL
    Check this "parked" thread in 7 - Series for many answers to your questions. Good luck with the purchase but maintenance *will* be much higher.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=71177

- Mike D.
    ACS Front Spoiler | Bavarian Autosport Strut Bar | Bilstein HD Struts | Dinan Cold Air Intake | Dinan Stage II Software
    Eisenmann High Performance Exhaust | H&R Stage II Sport Springs | Mobile Video & Bass Upgrades.

My Cars
    Automobiles
    I believe 95 is the first year of the E38 (a question probably answered by the link Mike gave you, but I just put in my worthless opinion anyway). I would personally stay away from first year cars for a particular generation, due to the amount of problems first year cars usually have. It usually takes manufacturers a year to work out the long-term problems.
    -Zack

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    I have a first year E38. I must say that the first year quirks are at a minimal. I have more trouble with the trim then with anything mechanical. Things that have always been a problem have been: rear ashtray and cup holders (front and back) and the parking brake. Things that have arisen have been: rear sunscreen motor breaking, and the oddest metal popping though my back seats. Other then those, and a few minor mechanical problems (all relatively standard on an older car: catalytic, battery, radiator fluid reservoir [that thing exploded, it was pretty cool]) I've had no big problems.

Also, my engine didn’t have to be replaced… always a plus.

I'd get a 96, though, just in case.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li
    No offense snoop , but this aint no thug car dawg, please dont dillute the BMW brand name any more than the 745 did. Try a Cadillac on some daytons though
    Last edited by 99bmw740il; 03-24-2003 at 10:55 PM.

My Cars
    Four Bentleys, two Porsches, and a Daewoo
    Everything everyone else has said is true, but I'm just gonna chime in to defend the 7-series. The E38 is an great car. I absolutely love mine, and this is coming from someone who just got his back from the shop and had to put out a bit of cash.

Ultimately, though, maintainance costs aren't too incredibly unreasonable. My local BMW dealership charges about the same for labor as any place else, but parts hurt a bit. If you can, get a good aftermarket warranty. If I didn't have my warranty I'd have just put out about $2400 for a (bunch of) very small problems.

If you get a warranty, though, you'll be okay. G'luck with the car.
    <br>