Thread: Is it possible to repair rusted rear quarter panels...

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '05 M3

Is it possible to repair rusted rear quarter panels...

w/o having a shop replace the entire quarter. I'm not talking completely rusted out, but it has eaten away at the small lip that rolls around the wheel well.

My Cars
    86 325es/87 325/87 325es/89 vw/77sub with 40's
    You have a picture of this?
    BMW-PERFECTION IN DETAIL

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    You could sand it down and bondo it up but that is kinda hack.
    I own mostly junk. Except the Porsche, that's kind of cool.
    All the motorcycles are trash which you can read about at
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

I'll update it eventually

Thansk

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine325 View Post
    You have a picture of this?
    nope i'll try to take a pic this wkend.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSR5 View Post
    You could sand it down and bondo it up but that is kinda hack.
    yea I was hoping a body shop could somehow chop & fabricate some metal to fix the rust. Now I'm really starting to 2nd guess on whether or not to even bother having my E30 restored. I had big plans for this car, but the rust seems like it might be a costly repair.

My Cars
    88 325
    you can sand it down with 80 grit sandpaper and primer it to the color of your car and spray it with clear coat after that

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by krans View Post
    you can sand it down with 80 grit sandpaper and primer it to the color of your car and spray it with clear coat after that
    I actually plan on have the car resprayed after having some small dents fixed.....but the reason why I asked this question is b/c I'm not sure if there is a fix aside from replacing the quarter panel. I wouldn't mind doing so, but I just don't wanna get in over my head w/ bodywork for a car this old. I want it to look presentable not a show car.

My Cars
    an imaginary E30
    The quarter panel is part of the body...so if you opt to replace it you'll need a later style rear quarter since the later ones are different. But that might not matter depending how you cut it.

Cut out old section, cut out replacement section, match to fit, weld, sand, light filler here and there, seal up underneath, repaint and match. done.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3 coupe silver
    Current issue of Grassroots Motorsports has an article with photos on doing this exact repair to a Saab. You may want to pick it up.
    NASA HPDE instructor

My Cars
    Various junk
    Here's a photodiary of how to tackle a similar job on an E30. My wheelhouse is swiss cheese and I need to replace portions of it. The dude's self-portrait is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3jafp_5SWw

My Cars
    85 344i, 89 535i
    The quarter panel is seperate from the inner fender well - they are pinched together to form that lip. If the quarter is rusted, the inner fender well likely is as well. I'd get rust free parts and weld them in place. Not the whole quarter, just the part you need. Make sure you prep them well so it doesn't happen gain.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i/5
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    The finished product!

My Cars
    2-1995 325i Convertibles
    This is a very old thread and its in the E30 forum but... one of my 1995 e36 convertibles has some rust around the wheel wells. I'm trying to get some pictures but its typical 'NE Rust' type of stuff. The car has been through many winters (after being a FL car).

What I have been trying to find is what is normally called a patch panel. A section of the rear quarter that just goes around the wheel wells. I have been unable to find any source for this.

I understand the interior wheel well may need some work also but I can patch that in and I'm not that worried about the contours.

Any suggestions for a source of patch panels for the rear quarter? I won't be spending the 600-700 for an entire quarter just to take off a small section.

TIA
    Last edited by nhhandyman; 04-05-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: dup post...

My Cars
    TRIUMPH tr250,tr6, bmw 325i
    Mill Supply in Cleveland Ohio has auto body rust repair panels for the 3 series bmws

My Cars
    2-1995 325i Convertibles
    Thanks - Checked their site out. The only rear quarters the list are for the sedan not the convertible.

The search continues.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Are the wheel wells the same though?
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    2-1995 325i Convertibles
    I would have to find a sedan. However they might be cheap enough that if they are not ill just use it as scrap metal

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk