Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Hard water stains...

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe

Unhappy Hard water stains...

Is there anything to be done about these? They look terrible! My clutch went out recently and I had to leave the M parked overnight at a major shopping center. When I came back the next day to have it towed, it was obvious the sprinklers had come on during the night as there were milky white water spots all over the front bumper. Soap and water doesn't seem to help... Can I do anything or is it pretty much hopeless?

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    Zymol HD cleanse
    Meguiar's Clear Coat Body Scrub

... or most any quality "clearcoat" cleaner will go a long way towards removing water spots.

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S Cab
    Try using a claybar.

My Cars
    Yes
    I bought some glass polish from Griot's Garage to remove some hard water stains, but I haven't tried it yet.

My Cars
    2003 AW/Black M3
    FYI, a claybar will not remove water stains. A good cleaner wax or mild compound, preferably with a random orbital polisher will work well.

Also, I've *heard* that a 50/50 mixture of vinegar/water works on water stains. I've never tried this method myself though!
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="2">2003 Alpine White M3...</font></b>
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="1"></font></b><br />
    The infamous "Paul E." and I after some detailing...

My Cars
    WRX
    Yep, the 50/50 vinegar and water works. We do it all the time on my uncle's powerboat when we haul it out of the lake. Also, you can try 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water.

The best way to do it however will be with a good polish, and like ///M3ryder said, preferrably with a buffer. You can try something like Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover, 3M Swirl Mark Remover, or P21S Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleanser. Just make sure you wax over any areas you use these products on. :

My Cars
    Brilliantrot 92' BMW 325is, and blue 2002' Jeep Liberty Sport
    Another thing you can try is: find some soft cotton terry cloths and soak them in distilled water (water with no minerals). Park your car in the shade, and make sure the body is cool and free of any dust. Place the wet cloths on the painted surface and let them sit for several hours. Make sure they stay nice and wet with the distilled water. Water spots are usually just calcium and mineral deposits which have collected on your paint. These deposits can usually be dissolved or softened over several hours. Immediately afterwards, dry you car and use a mild polishing compound to buff out the softened deposits. Be aware that calcium deposits are much harder than the clearcoat of your car, so you dont want to try to buff them all out with a heavy polishing compound, or you can burn your paint. Also glass cleaners are usually not safe for use on painted surfaces. Keeping your car well waxed will help prevent waterspots, and make them easier to remove.

My Cars
    07 335i, 05 GC HEMI
    P-21S (S-100) Shine enhancing cleanser. Anything left needs rubbing compound on a buffer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997, 2001 Tacoma Doublecab, 2002 Outback
    I have hard water deposits on my windows and mirrors. Any idea on how to get those off? I have checked out a couple of retail products which say "not for use on automobile windows". Not sure why...

John
    John

My Cars
    07 335i, 05 GC HEMI
    Mother's clay bar takes anything off glass that can be removed. MY g/f's 94 Altima windows were so stained from water and paint overspray that nothing (Windex, polish, Rain-X windshield wax) I used would help. Keep in mind that after 10 years no garage in Florida the car is baked like 10 years in an oven. Then I got the idea to use the clay bar. It removed EVERYTHING except scratches/pits. Water stains on glass usually sit on top instead of etching as spots eat into paint, making the ones on glass much easier to remove.

My Cars
    Yes
    Originally posted by Roids66
    I have checked out a couple of retail products which say "not for use on automobile windows". Not sure why...
    Those products could be harmful to window tint.

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've got a couple of spots that are being pretty stubborn, so the next time I do a full detailing I'll try soaking them with distilled water and then cleaning them up.