Thread: E36 - 1994 325is M3 Transmission swap

My Cars
    96 328iS

Question E36 - 1994 325is M3 Transmission swap

[SIZE=3][FONT=courier new][COLOR=red]Hey guys. I am new to this forum, but I think it's pretty awesome. Anyways, I own a 1994 325is and recently I purchased a used transmission which was out from a 1998 E36 M3. I am really interested in upgrading the transmission on my 325is, but I was wondering if anyone here with knowledge of this kind of thing would be able to enlighten me as to how or what I might have to change or mod in installing this transmission (such as driveshaft, ect.) Also, what might some pro's/con's be in doing this swap. Any help or details would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My Cars
    96 328iS

a little help?

c'mon guys?? can anyone here give me a hand??

My Cars
    '98 328i/4
    There's many threads on transmission swaps. You may want to start by doing a search and go from there, then folllow up with some specific questions. I nkow that there are several parts lists that may be of some help.
    1998 328i/4 Boston Green
    X-Brace, Eibach Pro Kit/Bilstein Sport, M3 Rear Sway
    BMW Traffic Pro - a/d/s P650.2 & 3.45is - JL Audio Stealthboxes[/size]

My Cars
    96 328iS

ok.......

i tried that already...i wasn't able to find anything specific enough. I would just like to know what other parts besides the actual transmission itself that I might need to successfully complete the swap. Any further help would greatly be appreciated. thanks.

My Cars
    E46 M3/E46 325/E70 X5
    I think you might at least need the transmission computer compatible with that year. Also I don't know if there will be a problem seeing that it is from an OBDII model and yours is OBDI. Good luck.
    FOR SALE: 1995 325 BMW Convertible - Black/Black
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...haust-and-More

My Cars
    1995 325is
    Maybe you need to help us out too...

Manual ---> manual
    Manual ---> auto
    Auto ---> manual
    Auto ---> auto

Details, boy, we need details!
    Michael
    1995 325is (she's coming along...)
    USPA C31761

My Cars
    96 328iS
    Transmission computer? That's the first time I've ever heard that one before. What exactly is the difference between OBDII and OBDI? Also, in response to the other post, this is a car that already has a manual transmission. The original transmission has recently given out so I am replacing it with an M3 manual 5 speed tranny. I figured, why not upgrade now that I have an excuse to, right? Now can someone please help me out? Thanks.

My Cars
    If your current car is a manual transmission, and you want to swap to a manual m3 tranmission, It should be a direct swap, but You may need a new drive shaft (I think the m3 drive shafts are bigger) if you get a driveshaft make sure that you get a drive shaft that has a 4 bolt flange that bolts to your differential.

My Cars
    2002 Suzuki GSX-R 750
    You will definately need a driveshaft, and the other guy is right. Make sure you get the one with a 4 bolt flange at the differential end of the shaft. Thats all you will need to complete this. Well, that and the slave cylinder from the 98 and a clutch kit from the 98.

I couldn't find a drive shaft with the 4 bolt flange so I ended up having to change my rear end as well. I believe the 328 came with a 4 bolt flange but I am not positive.

There is no computer for the manual trans. Just the automatics, and OBD1 and OBD2 have nothing to do with changing your tranny.

Benefits are a stronger tranny. They are harder to work on than the Getrag but are alot beafier if you plan on upgrading the motor someday as well. Otherwise there is really no reason to put the M3 tranny in your 325. The Getrag is plenty strong, even if you boosted your 325 motor, the original trans would be fine. Also alot cheaper to replace if you were to smoke it.(with a boosted motor)

Good Luck

My Cars
    '92 325i
    I did this mod a while ago because my tranny died on me. You don't need the slave cylinar for the clutch. You'll need a flex disk, shift carrier and stick and some other odds and ends.

Here's a link to my thread when it happened. I got a lot of help from several guys on the forum-- they saved my butt.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ht=tranny+swap