Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driver's seat is loose

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i, 1998 BMW 528i

Driver's seat is loose

It looks like some nylon pieces where the rails ride on on the driver's seat have worn down, so the seat is loose...Any idea if I can just replace the nylob inserts, or do i have to replace the rails?

Does anyone have some rails that I could buy to help me out?

Thanks...
    1998 528i
    Aspen Silver w/Gray interior
    Completely stock (at least for now)
    ---------------------------------------------
    1992 325i (For Sale)
    150K miles
    Bilstein HDs, Dinan chip, K&N

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    Mine has the same problem. Started only this year, but seems to be getting worse quickly. I have not taken the seat off to inspect yet, so would be interested in hearing from anyone that has fixed this problem. It really gets annoying when driving with "spirit"

My Cars
    FJ,Tahoe, F800GS,Piaggio
    ...same here.
    BMW wanted $350 to "replace the rails".
    I haven't torn into it yet.
    shopping... F30, Sportline, Silver, Red...

My Cars
    '98 328i/4
    I have the same problem. I did a search and found a couple of threads on this that came from the Z3 section. Apparently, this is a big problem for those cars. It seems that the rubber or plastic bushings wear out (what a surpise, BMW bushings wearing out!). Just a couple of days ago, I got some delrin bushings from someone I hooked up with from one of those threads. I'm hoping to try to put them in this weekend. At this point, I'm not sure they will fit, since these are the ones he typically makes for the Z3 seats. But since Z3s are E36 cars, the rails may be essentially the same. I'll post up my results after I check it out.
    1998 328i/4 Boston Green
    X-Brace, Eibach Pro Kit/Bilstein Sport, M3 Rear Sway
    BMW Traffic Pro - a/d/s P650.2 & 3.45is - JL Audio Stealthboxes[/size]

My Cars
    '98 328i/4
    Here's the link to the thread i'm talking about.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...+rail+bushings

This guy Doug who makes the bushings is great. My suggestion is to wait 'till I try them out before deluging him with requests since he's never made them for regular E36 cars before.
    1998 328i/4 Boston Green

Does anyone here know whether the seat rails are the same ones as on the Z3?

I make a replacement Delrin washer for the Z3 rails, and they do take care of the sliding problem.

Naturally, new rails will have the same soft rubber washers as stock, so replacing the rails doesn't do a lot of good.

I recently sent a set of washers to someone from this forum, but haven't heard back from him yet, as to whether they worked out for him.

Doug W.

Originally posted by 10kken
    I have the same problem. I did a search and found a couple of threads on this that came from the Z3 section. Apparently, this is a big problem for those cars. It seems that the rubber or plastic bushings wear out (what a surpise, BMW bushings wearing out!). Just a couple of days ago, I got some delrin bushings from someone I hooked up with from one of those threads. I'm hoping to try to put them in this weekend. At this point, I'm not sure they will fit, since these are the ones he typically makes for the Z3 seats. But since Z3s are E36 cars, the rails may be essentially the same. I'll post up my results after I check it out.

Dang! Beat me by five minutes!

Doug W.

My Cars
    '98 328i/4
    Hey Doug. Yeah I got the bushings but haven't gotten around to getting my seat out and taking the rails apart yet. I'm hoping to do that tonight or tomorrow. I promise to let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again for the bushings .
    1998 328i/4 Boston Green

You're quite welcome!

I hope they do the trick for you.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    For future reference (mostly mine...) a few links to the Z3 rails fixes...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...threadid=15243

http://www.edoghouse.com/cbishop/skin/bushing.htm

Doug, if you are not selling these, any chance you could shoot me the dimensions of the delrin shims? Looks like you used AF. Does anything actually slide on these, or do they mostly hold the leadscrew nut in place?

Thanks for the info!

Butch

Originally posted by Bernman
    For future reference (mostly mine...) a few links to the Z3 rails fixes...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...threadid=15243

http://www.edoghouse.com/cbishop/skin/bushing.htm

Doug, if you are not selling these, any chance you could shoot me the dimensions of the delrin shims? Looks like you used AF. Does anything actually slide on these, or do they mostly hold the leadscrew nut in place?

Thanks for the info!

Butch
    I used to just give them away, to help appease the Bimmer gods; but once they became pretty well-known and the demand for them got larger, I decided that after giving out 100 sets, I'd start charging for them.
    The machining time was cutting into my normal workday too much.

The idea for making them came from Skin Mechanic from the Roadfly board.
    I actually made samples from Delrin AF, plain Delrin, oil-filled Nylon, and ABS, and Skin is testing all four materials on his car at the same time.

You are correct in believing that nothing slides against them, and that they only hold the nut in place; so I'm sure that plain Delrin will hold up as well as any of the other materials.

I'm not in it for the money, so if you want to make your own, here you go.

I make them .670" x .850", with a 1/2" hole in the center.

Since the pieces that they fit into are cast-iron, I'm assuming that there will be dimensional variances from one rail to another, so I make them oversize in thickness (around .130"), and leave it to the user to lightly sand them down, in order to get a good snug fit.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    Thanks a bunch. I will let you guys know how it turns out

My Cars
    m42 Club #29
    to lazy to read..so how do we fix it

My Cars
    Just so we can all see what we are talking about...it is the pieces circled in red, correct? Bernman, definitely let us know how it goes...I feel like my seat is gonna pop off
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1998 528i
    1992 325i (For Sale)
    150K miles

Originally posted by jb325
    Just so we can all see what we are talking about...it is the pieces circled in red, correct? Bernman, definitely let us know how it goes...I feel like my seat is gonna pop off
    No. I have no clue what the circled parts are.
    But on a Z3, the washers that need replacing are inside P/N 2 in your drawing.

Looks like there are some major differences in the seat rails, from the 3-series to the Z3.

Here is a good write-up, with pics, done by Rachel Corey.

www.waycoolinc.com/Z3/02/100602/shish01.html

My Cars
    97 328i
    Definately post how this goes for any of you that tries it. There have been quite a few posts of people complaining about this issue lately. I've heard thats it's a major pita.
    Improved for speed

My Cars
    m42 Club #29
    the link doesn't work

Originally posted by IgotMy18s
    the link doesn't work

Hmmm...

Where'd I go wrong?

Are these things case-sensitive?

www.waycoolinc.com/z3/02/100602/shish01.html

My Cars
    It appears that the Z3 seat rails are completely different than the E36 seat rails for MANUAL seats....Below is a picture of my rails. The red arrows point to the white nylon piece that seems to be worn. I think this is what is causing the seat to feel loose since I see the play when I wiggle the seat. Anyone know how to fix this or where I can get the rails for cheap? The BMW part number from the ETK is 52-10-8-234-793 but it is like $140 retail...what to do....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1998 528i
    1992 325i (For Sale)
    150K miles

It appears that the Z3 seat rails are completely different than the E36 seat rails for MANUAL seats....Below is a picture of my rails. The red arrows point to the white nylon piece that seems to be worn. I think this is what is causing the seat to feel loose since I see the play when I wiggle the seat. Anyone know how to fix this or where I can get the rails for cheap? The BMW part number from the ETK is 52-10-8-234-793 but it is like $140 retail...what to do....
    I don't know if it's easy for you to do, but if you can get the Nylon pieces off, I'd be happy to take a look at making new ones.

I own a one-man tool and die shop, and can machine just about anything.

My Cars
    '98 328i/4
    Ok guys, I took a look at my seat rails today and found out what was causing my seat problems. I did not find any bushings like the ones on the Z3 seats. the only part I could find on the seat rail that has any unusual play was in the machansim that ties the gears along the rail to the motor (actuator) called the Gearbox, Backrest Adjuster. There is one on both sides. On the doorside of the driver's seat it is p/n 52 10 8 157 463 (left) from the ETK. Sorry, I don't know how to copy the diagrams from the ETK yet.

This is a non-motorized part. There is a plactis or delrin gear part inside of this that appears to be where the play is coming from. I'm going to request a part quote from Circle BMW on Monday. My guess is that this is a $30-40 part, but fairly easy to put in once you get to it.
    1998 328i/4 Boston Green

My Cars
    Yes
    BMW makes a special tool to tighten those joints up; I think it runs about $30-40.

The problem is addressed in a bulletin relating to 'loose or shifting seats' for the early 325 sedan. Coupe seats have similar design with the same type of joints, so my seats also feel loose.

If somebody who is flush with cash wants to take a chance and buy the tool, I'll post the part number. I haven't, because A) my seat settings render the looseness tolerable and B) I'm not 100% certain the tool will work on (my) coupe seats.

My Cars
    Bimwad - YES! Please post the part number of the tool! I'd like to give it a try...
    1998 528i
    1992 325i (For Sale)
    150K miles

My Cars
    Wamac - thanks for the offer....I need to take a closer look at this thing to see if i can remove them...I appreciate your kindness though...
    1998 528i
    1992 325i (For Sale)
    150K miles

My Cars
    323iC & Z3
    Hi;

I have a .pdf file I can send to any who are interested from the BMW TIS about how to fix the loose seat problem.
    I don't think I can post it here as the size is 151k.
    It shows the use of a special BMW tool (which is required, of course), but I believe some ingenuity could be used to work around without it.

If you would like it, send me your addy and I'll forward it to you.

JB
    Schnelle Autos, schöne Frauen und deutsches Bier!

'99 323iC auto . . . . . . . . . . . . . '99 Z3 2.3 auto
    '02 530i SP manual (sold). . . . . '99 R1200C manual of course (sold)
    '08 X5 3.0si auto (sold) . . . . . . . '98 528i manual (sold)
    '94 318iC manual (sold) . . . . . . .'00 Z-3 manual (sold)
    '00 323Ci manual (given to daughter- she traded it for an '08 328 'vert)
    BMWCCA # 168243

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast