Thread: Burning smell and other questions

My Cars
    Avus Blue M3

Exclamation Burning smell and other questions

Im learning to drive stick, and well, Im not THAT good at it so far. My question is, when i park my car in the garage, there is a burning smell. I've heard this is from the clutch burning up cuz I tend to abuse it as I am learning how to properly use it. What do you guys think? The smell is still around in the engine from 24 hours ago and the smell tends to be stronger on the right side. I've also heard that it could be my oil burning. What causes the oil to burn? Which is more probable, clutch or oil and how can I find out.

I purchased the car from a used car dealership and they had just serviced it with new rotors & pads (high rumbling sound when I stop, kinda like a high roll resistance on pavement for you bikers), fluids, etc. They used cheap ass rotors and pads and I am not sure if the oil they used is good or not. What else should I look out for?

Ok, since that was so long, Ill just number the questions I need help with:

1. What is the burning smell?
    2. Will shitty rotors and pads cause a high rumbling sound when stopping?
    3. Why does oil burn?
    4. When I turn the front wheels all the way to the left, there is a high-pitched grinding/chirping sound...what's up? It's not the alignment.
    5. Did manual cars come with ASC?

Thanks for bearing with me, and thanks for all your help.
    blahosidfnsd

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    1st car speedlimit? smell is most likely clutch, especially if it is still there 24 hours later.
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    M3/4
    1) If it smells like burnt cookies, then it's probally the clutch
    2) Possibly, especially if the rotors are warped (do you ride the brake as well as the clutch )
    3) Oil will always burn in an engine, it's usually a matter of how much. Oil will seep past the rings into the combustion chamber and be vaporized as part of the process.
    4) Does the sound occur when the car is rolling - if so, it may be wheel bearings or you're hitting something in the wheelwell. If you're stopped and you turn hard to the left and HOLD it there, does it still click? If so, may be the steering rack or maybe the powersteering pump (but that's more likely to be on both sides)
    5) Yes. What year and model is your car?

As for the oil then used, if they used normal dino oil, then you'll want to change it around 3000 miles. If they used synthetic, then you can use the recommended bars in the cluster.

If it still smells after all that time, then it's probally the clutch. The oil smell shouldn't be tat strong after it's cooled off.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Why the f**k did you buy this car?

Clutch likely th burn smell. Bearing probably the grind when turning left.
    Oil, burning on the manifold. Head gasket leak.
    Jesus.:
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Why the f**k did you buy this car?

Clutch likely th burn smell. Bearing probably the grind when turning left.
    Oil, burning on the manifold. Head gasket leak.
    Jesus.:
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    Avus Blue M3
    Thanks for all your help guys...
    Why did I buy this car? Well, it is an immaculate avus blue 1995 m3 with perfect dove grey vaders. The BMW dealer gave it a comprehensive inspection and said it was in mechanically perfect condition. I am only being extremely paranoid and cautious, cuz this is my first car and I am obsessed with it.
    blahosidfnsd

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    If BMW said it was perfect, I would go to them...

My Cars
    '95 Subaru C5 M3 VIII
    ASC is not an option in '95.

Does number 4 happen while stopped? I had a problem when I first got my car, tight turns at slow speed would produce a grinding noise from the rear. Turned out to be the brakes.
    '05 Big Winged RICECAR