Thread: Intermittent starting issues.

My Cars
    BMW z3

Intermittent starting issues.

My 97 z3 2.8 has been having an intermittent starting issue that seems to be getting worst. I started about 4 months ago and would only happen say every three weeks. When I turn the key in the ignition I hear a click and nothing would happen. Then i would release the cluch fully power off the car and try again with no problems. The engin started fast and turned over fine. It wasn't really consistant enough to diagnose the problem I thought I may have just not had my foot on clutch all the way.

Recently I have noticed this happening alot more, usually after not using the car for the weekend. Now it may take up to 5 attempts to get it running. I don't think it is a clutch switch because I do hear a single clicking sound from under the hood. If i don't press the clutch no sound is present. When it finally starts it goes perfectly and no further problems.

The best way to describe the sound is the way a car sounds when trying to start with a dead battery that can't even turn over once. Click and silence.

Please help this seems like its getting worst and I don't want to get stranded. Oh the battery is 9 months old. I will try cleaning terminals later.

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3 1.9L
    My first thought is the battery terminals, let us know how that goes, and make sure the leads are all really tight. I had the same thing where I think the computer thought the battery was dead because it wasn't getting a solid connection. While I had dash lights and a click and the fuel pump and the like, the starter was locked. Usually took 2-3 attempts at turning it off, waiting a minute, and going again to get it running. Then I figured out the problem, and have started every time I try (even now when it's 2 weeks between outings w/ it).

My Cars
    BMW z3
    The problem has defiantly not gone away and has gotten increasingly worst since the last message. I am starting to really believe it is my starter that has gone bad. For 80-150 dollars on the internet I am just going to try and replace it myself. I'm sure not paying BMW $600 to do it for me. On this car how hard is it to replace the starter and will I need any special tools before I go under there besides the normal metric stuff. Do I have to move anything out of the way to get to it? Can I reach it from the car being jacked up off the ground? For $150 if I can replace it myself and it still doesn't fix my problem I am still better off than taking it to a local mechanic. I'm not paying $400 and having them tell me I still need something else. I have had terrible experience when dealing with local shops. Like paying $300 to replace an o2 sensor for a z3 that was doing 0-60 in 30 seconds when I had a bad CAT.

Anyway should I buy a bosh starter or go with another brand?

If so I am having a problem finding the bosh part number for this car. 97 z3 2.8 liter engine?

Also any advice for something I could have missed before replacing the part. I am pretty good at DIY repairs just bad at diagnostics. I have to use my dad’s garage so if the car needs to go off the ground I might as well buy the part first. Worst case I have a new starter.

Does the starter for this car include the selinoid in the same part?

Thanks for the help.