RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Leaking Fuel Tank & Rear Shock replacement

My Cars
    1990 BMW 735iL, 2005 Dodge Caravan

Leaking Fuel Tank & Rear Shock replacement

I am hoping someone has some insight.

I have a 1990 735iL and there is a very small leak in the gas tank. It is leaking where the filler pipe meets the tank. I think there is a small crack where some rust may have eaten through. There isn't a lot of gas leaking and it only leaks when more than 3/4 full.

Other than welding the hole, is there any other way to fix it?

ALso, I have self-levelling shocks on the rear and they need to be replaced. Is that something I can do myself? (I am not a mechanic by any means but I am handy). I was thinking of converting them to non-self-levelling. Is that a complicated process as well?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Eastwood sells a tank sealing kit that should work. I've used it successfully on vintage cars with leakier tanks that what you are describing.

It is an involved and messy process, however: drop the tank, multiple clean and prep phases including the use of muriatic acid, patching any pinholes from the outside, then coating the tank on the inside with an epoxy resin. Finish off with a good epoxy chassis paint. Done properly, you shouldn't have to worry about the tank ever leaking again.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne