Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clutch replacement time, Upgrades?

My Cars
    2002 M3

clutch replacement time, Upgrades?

I need a new clutch, I can get OEM sachs for 186 bucks and since I only use the car for street I guess this is right. What about my flywheel, keep the one I have or buy a new one? Any upgrades I can do?

My Cars
    m3 f350
    how many miles on your OEM dual mass clutch?

My Cars
    2002 M3
    isn't the flywheel the dual mass part? I don't mean to sound like a dick I just want to get my terminology right. Anyway My car car 119k miles and I don't think it was ever changed.

My Cars
    '03 530
    Quote Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
    isn't the flywheel the dual mass part? I don't mean to sound like a dick I just want to get my terminology right. Anyway My car car 119k miles and I don't think it was ever changed.
    you are correct the flywheel is the DM part. The Sachs is great for street use, there is no need for anything more unless you plan to seriously up your HP. As to your question, I think switching to a single mass flywheel is a good touch. You can typically get a used one for a pretty good deal. You may sacrifice a little smoothness but it will spool much faster and you'll have much better throttle response.

My Cars
    2002 M3
    So OEM clutch and a different flywheel? Where do I start looking? What about the UUC and turner flywheels I assume those won't work. I'll start searching but I would appreciate if you pointed some out or gave me some more info.

I love this forum. Every time I learn something new and feel like an e36 genius I have the opportunity to learn some more

How is a different flywheel going to affect my traffic driving? Like bumper to bumper. And by not as smooth what do you mean?

My Cars
    2002 M3
    Also my mechanic said something about sending my flywheel to have something done to it I forgot the name but I think it's like shaving a bit off. Is this bad?

My Cars
    '03 530
    As far as I know UUC and Turners kits require a different clutch kit and can get a little pricey. There are other quality makers of lightweight flywheels that can be used with a stock clutch but Im drawing a blank right now. I bet a search can turn up some options. What I was talking about was a stock flywheel from a car like an e30 325, the single mass. They are lighter, again I cant recall the #s(it can be found with a search) and are relatively cheap and will work with a stock clutch setup. As far as the smothness, any lighter flywheel will yeild the same potential problems being minor clutch pedal and drivetrain vibration, easier stalling, and possible clutch chatter. If you have the money UUCs setup is unbeatable though

My Cars
    '03 530
    Also my mechanic said something about sending my flywheel to have something done to it I forgot the name but I think it's like shaving a bit off. Is this bad?
    thats resurfacing, like turning your rotors, and its perfectly fine.

My Cars
    2002 M3
    ok, well It's a street driven car but I have been putting in little things to make it peppier, why not continue right? I have intake, chip, bav auto coils. I know it's like nothing but hey I have to start somewhere. Since I have to do this why not upgrade as long as it's not to expensive.

I guess it boils down to,

1)resurface + OEM sachs clutch kit.

2)single mass flywheel + OEM sacks clutch kit

This is the one I can get for 186
    http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...er=21211223546

Will this work with a single mass flywheel without noises?

And last, where do I find these? You said used so I assume some e36's have them? Which ones?

My Cars
    '97 328. '96 318iC/DASC
    Lightweight flywheel won't affect your bumper-bumper driving much at all--I doubt you'd even notice it. I put one in a few months back (name of mfgr. starts with a 'z', but I can't remember exactly). Shifts and especially downshifts are cleaner, and there's less rotating mass, so there's more power--may be negligible, but the butt dyno says it might be noticable...
    03 330i zhp, 97 328i

My Cars
    2002 M3
    I think I'm just going to stay oem on this one. Flywheels are like 500 bucks I got better stuff to spend my money on.

My Cars
    94 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by absentmathis View Post
    thats resurfacing, like turning your rotors, and its perfectly fine.
    Dual mass flywheels have to be replace they can not be resurfest
    Do a ebay search
    SACHS CLUTCH & FIDANZA FLYWHEEL - BMW 318 325 328 M3 Z3</IMG> $575.00
    for a ltw flywheel and m3 clutch, I have not used one but I hear that they are pretty good and dinan uses them.

My Cars
    2002 M3
    I've heard they can be resurfaced. That looks like a good kit but the added gear noise also scares me. I wish I could hear one and decide.

My Cars
    94 318is
    I've heard they can be resurfaced. That looks like a good kit but the added gear noise also scares me. I wish I could hear one and decide.
    http://www.understeer.com/faq.shtml
    go to the part that says can I resurface my flywheel and click on the link
    I am not try to prove you wrong or argue with you, but trying to help you. Yes you could bring it to the shop and they will resurface it but it will ruin you clutch and flywheel then you are going to have to replace it again in like 500 miles. oem dual mass range from 600-1000 dollars. If you use you flywheel again with out resurfacing it like I did you clutch is going to slip alot and it will eat up your new clutch real quick.
    Hope this helps you

My Cars
    10/96 318IS
    New flywheel is only needed if you drive with a slipping clutch long enough to burn it. My release bearing went on my clutch a few weeks back, once I checked the clutch disk and fly wheel both were perfect and clutch still had more then 60% ware left on it @ 220K on the spedometer. I just put it back in with the new release bering.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

My Cars
    e36 '94 325ic•e30 '84 325e•'08 Honda Accord LXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilguy5000 View Post
    http://www.understeer.com/faq.shtml
    go to the part that says can I resurface my flywheel and click on the link
    I am not try to prove you wrong or argue with you, but trying to help you. Yes you could bring it to the shop and they will resurface it but it will ruin you clutch and flywheel then you are going to have to replace it again in like 500 miles. oem dual mass range from 600-1000 dollars. If you use you flywheel again with out resurfacing it like I did you clutch is going to slip alot and it will eat up your new clutch real quick.
    Hope this helps you
    It says when doing the clutch for the second time which to my understanding is its good for the life of two clutches... So I guess you must replace it after you go through your second clutch.

My Cars
    2002 M3
    So I don't want to buy a new flywheel, I know that. My clutch isn't slipping it's just making annoying noises. I guess I will take it out and go from there. Thanks for all the help. Another question.... What m3 clutch will fit in my 325i?

My Cars
    10/96 318IS
    If clutch sounds anything like mine did, it's the release bearing.

http://www.dailymotion.com/jeffrie/v...2_mvi0019_auto

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

My Cars
    2002 M3
    it's not like that, It's more of a chatter. Mechanic said it was the pressure plate.

My Cars
    2002 M3
    Anyone have a clip of the chatter and noise caused by a LTW flywheel? That would help a lot.

My Cars
    2002 M3
    sorry to beat this topic to death but can someone post a vid of the noise caused by a lighter flywheel?

My Cars
    A Junky One
    LTW flywheel chatter can get annoying however putting thicker tranny fluid really helps.

OEM dual mass flywheels cannot be resurfaced.

Clutch noise could be pressureplate/throwout bearing.

My Cars
    1999 323i
    replacing my original clutch now. It made it 141,000 miles. My teenagers drove it the last 50,000.

My Cars
    94 325i, 95 M3, 1997 325
    will a M3 clutch fit in a standard e36 trans?
    Washedit1 by thedude60526, on Flickr
    11/10's Racing
    94 325i #36/64 TEAM PENISTON OILS/ LARSENS BISCUITS

My Cars
    10/96 318IS
    Yes but you need the entire assembly,
    M3 clutch, pressure plate & flywheel but a easy direct bolt on swap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast