Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 318i turbo on a budget

My Cars
    E30 325i Coupe

318i turbo on a budget

want to find out the details about possibly turboing a 318i. mainly how much boost an unmodified engine can take safely and what about the ECU side of things? as far as im concerned the making and fitting is the easy part... well once i get myself a welder and if i do decide to try it.

the engine in question is a 1.8l M43 with 105k miles.

- My E30: Project 325i

- WMMotorsports.co.uk

My Cars
    c6 w/ flux capaciter
    Do a lot of searching on the site first...

your plans have been done already..

Have you turboed a car before
    What power ya want
    whats your budget..?

It might be cheaper to get a 325 because there are so many super solid bolt on kits for it

good luck
    Nelson Mandela borrowed this from Marianne Wilson in his 1994 inaugural speech - "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, "Who am i to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. You were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within you. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

My Cars
    86 325es
    They run 8 psi on supercharged 318i's all the time so thats probably more than safe

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    ofc
    he said that the engine is a m43... there aren't superchargers for m43

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by nuvola rossa View Post
    he said that the engine is a m43... there aren't superchargers for m43
    haha i was thinking the same thing. He has the M44, correct?

My Cars
    1996 Ferrari F355 Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by DmcL View Post
    want to find out the details about possibly turboing a 318i. mainly how much boost an unmodified engine can take safely and what about the ECU side of things? as far as im concerned the making and fitting is the easy part... well once i get myself a welder and if i do decide to try it.

the engine in question is a 1.8l M43 with 105k miles.
    IMHO, I wouldn't spend money/time in going F/I on a stock 318! Your best bet would be to complete a motor swap, S50/52, M50 etc. conduct a F/I project there after! The money/time spent on these motors will yield the power your after. 8 PSI on a 318 will give you the same amount of power that a stock S50/52 would.

My Cars
    ofc
    Quote Originally Posted by stanksbeamen View Post
    haha i was thinking the same thing. He has the M44, correct?
    No, he has M43. He's from Europe. Here 318i has M40 or M43 engine, year dependant.

The M40B18 is a 1.8 L (1796cc) version of the M40 producing 115 hp of mechanical power and 165 ft. lbf. of force. Like the M40B16, it also uses Bosch M1.3 fuel injection.

The M43B18 was a 1.8 L (1796cc) version. It produced 85 kW (115 hp) and 168 N·m (124 ft·lbf) with Bosch M1.7.1 fuel injection.

so is a lot slower than your US 318i

The conclusion is:
    if you can diy all major expensive things, like manifold, piping... then go with it...
    but if you should only buy parts, sell the car or swap the engine. It will cost minus than buy a turbo kit or make build it at a shop..

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R
    ahh didnt see he was from Europe, leanr something new everyday! To the OP good luck in your build!

My Cars
    86 325es
    Oh if your from europe, just swap in an m3 engine because your m3 engine's were a shit load better than ours. The euro s52 is one hell of an engine. If your set on the turbo m43, it has been done before, it's just not very popular. just search around abit at other examples.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    E30 325i Coupe
    we have to pay road tax here and its rising, its more expensive for a 325, 328, etc.. now that wouldnt stop me owning one. hell i had a 325i before this 318.. im just considering it because with a little boost and the gearing of the 318i running gear it should be as quick as a 325/328. also im considering it for the sake of being different.

i was thinking once i get a welder i could fabricate an adaptor to join a turbo onto the stock manifold and mod the stock exhaust to fit, then id just have to run oil lines and hook up the intake side of things. can be done extremely cheap with decent build quality if i do it myself.

and no i havent turboed anything as of yet.. i was gonna turbo a previous car but ended up getting a bigger car and selling the T25 i had planned to use on it.

i still have a small intercooler lying around, its just about the size of the opening in an M3 bumper and as im in ireland a small IC should do with our lower temperatures.

my biggest fear would be getting someone to map it. could it be driven on 5psi without any mapping? it would mean it could get everything on and working and still use it to get to and from work and find someone to map it and get an appointment sorted and still drive the car.

- WMMotorsports.co.uk

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    Oh if your from europe, just swap in an m3 engine because your m3 engine's were a shit load better than ours. The euro s52 is one hell of an engine. If your set on the turbo m43, it has been done before, it's just not very popular. just search around abit at other examples.
    There's no such thing as a euro S52.
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    10/96 318IS
    M43 uses the same internals as the M44, so you'll be fine up to 10 PSI with stock mapping, can't say the same for your clutch. Bimmerforums member BigBore Turboed his 318is, He's running around 20 PSI with a piggyback last I spoke with him.
    Important not to forget to put a flex pipe in the turbo exhaust piping after the turbo or you'll crack your manifold over and over as he used to before he found the cause. Rest a search can easily find the answers for yourself as it's the same with any other turbo build. Piping to an intercooler, BOV, running turbo oil/coolant lines, fuel pressure regulator ect...

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrie View Post
    so you'll be fine up to 10 PSI with stock mapping
    Strongly Disagree.

OP: you are honestly much better off with an engine swap to a I6 if you're looking for more power. With your engine's low output of 115bhp, at 8 psi you're not going to be even close to a 100% stock M3.

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    Strongly Disagree.

OP: you are honestly much better off with an engine swap to a I6 if you're looking for more power. With your engine's low output of 115bhp, at 8 psi you're not going to be even close to a 100% stock M3.
    Why do you disagree? There's quite a few M44's running that boost with a dasc and stock tuning.

My Cars
    10/96 318IS
    Strongly Disagree.
    Your entitled too..

Doesn't change the fact that it's a proven fact.

If you like I could tell him he needs a w16 engine swap to get max benifit out of his car, but that isn't what his ? was.... Or was it?

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Strongly Disagree.

+1 on both.

Swap in the newest, largest motor you can afford, then go from there.

My Cars
    E36 332i Compact
    Quote Originally Posted by DmcL View Post
    we have to pay road tax here and its rising, its more expensive for a 325, 328, etc.. now that wouldnt stop me owning one. hell i had a 325i before this 318.. im just considering it because with a little boost and the gearing of the 318i running gear it should be as quick as a 325/328. also im considering it for the sake of being different.

i was thinking once i get a welder i could fabricate an adaptor to join a turbo onto the stock manifold and mod the stock exhaust to fit, then id just have to run oil lines and hook up the intake side of things. can be done extremely cheap with decent build quality if i do it myself.

and no i havent turboed anything as of yet.. i was gonna turbo a previous car but ended up getting a bigger car and selling the T25 i had planned to use on it.

i still have a small intercooler lying around, its just about the size of the opening in an M3 bumper and as im in ireland a small IC should do with our lower temperatures.

my biggest fear would be getting someone to map it. could it be driven on 5psi without any mapping? it would mean it could get everything on and working and still use it to get to and from work and find someone to map it and get an appointment sorted and still drive the car.
    I think that you can use a 318td manifold (with a flange) ...
    stock engine will withstand 10psi of boost (with proper calibration); if you want to be more safe yo can change your HG with a machined 1 quota ones (is about .3mm thicker)
    definitely is not a good idea to boost the engine without adjusting fuel and/ or ignition, even at 4-5psi ... theoretically, when you will run at partial loads - lambda correction will adjust mixture near to 14.7afr, but when you floor it, the engine will exit from close loop operation and there will be a lean condition
    btw: stock injectors on M43 are very limited (I don't thing that can sustain even 140hp)
    ' 99 E36 316i Compact, 83kw

My Cars
    2012 VW Golf TDI
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    +1 on both.

Swap in the newest, largest motor you can afford, then go from there.
    yea look where that got you

My Cars
    1996 Ferrari F355 Spider
    There's no such thing as a euro S52.
    He was probably referring to the S50B30 and S50B32. Both of which are two amazing motors to swap in! I agree though, hence my advice for the engine swap in the first place, start out with a larger/largest engine, then introduce F/I!

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatTonis View Post
    yea look where that got you
    Do I know you?

My Cars
    2012 VW Golf TDI
    Do I know you?
    sorry i was a little too drunk for my own good last night, was just stirring up trouble

My Cars
    89 325is, BgBors bro Fi'd M42
    well i was spiking to 20 at 1 point jeffrie
    but did run 1 bar for a while 14.5...

kaliE36 has a good suggestion in the 318T diesal..find one they were europe only type thing!

My Cars
    E30 325i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by kaliE36 View Post
    I think that you can use a 318td manifold (with a flange) ...
    stock engine will withstand 10psi of boost (with proper calibration); if you want to be more safe yo can change your HG with a machined 1 quota ones (is about .3mm thicker)
    definitely is not a good idea to boost the engine without adjusting fuel and/ or ignition, even at 4-5psi ... theoretically, when you will run at partial loads - lambda correction will adjust mixture near to 14.7afr, but when you floor it, the engine will exit from close loop operation and there will be a lean condition
    btw: stock injectors on M43 are very limited (I don't thing that can sustain even 140hp)

i dont want to swap because id just rather buy another car.. turbo would be an easy and slightly sneaky alternative. what i was thinking (correct me if im wrong on the extra injector idea) is i could source the parts, get an adaptor machined to fit the turbo to the stock manifold or try a 318tds manifold, plumb the oil lines, put in an adjustable FPR and add a 5th injector on a WOT switch to cure the lean condition at full throttle... rather rich than lean id think. or could i just fit bigger injectors? and if so.. what would flow enough for a 5psi setup? bearing in mind id rather it run a bit rich than a bit lean.

the idea is to do it cheap but still have a fairly reliable car as its daily driven. also if i can do it that way i could remove the stuff and revert back to stock when i sell the car.

also off topic but someone mentioned the M43 and M44 sharing internals.. does this mean i could stick an M44 head and ECU onto mine and badda bing badda boom instant 318is?

- WMMotorsports.co.uk

My Cars
    93 318is Turbo @12lbs
    ^

this is what i run for FUELING
    http://www.sdsefi.com/eic.html

it adds 2 injectors. it has a map sensor & microprocessor.
    its way better then a mechanical rrfpr:

My Cars
    E30 325i Coupe
    bit expensive for a ghetto setup

- WMMotorsports.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast