Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are the US/Euro E36 fuel pumps different?

My Cars
    1994 M3
    post #46 it is the plumbing, not the wiring causing your problem, every time you have less than 1/4 tank, your left pump is running dry
    cheers, Alan

1/4 mile-12.92 @ 108.64mph-NA 3.0L m3 daily driver

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    I run a stock pump on the driver's side that dumps fuel into the passenger side, then run the passenger side pump to the fuel rail. I still have the fuel rail return running into the driver's side of the tank (like stock). That pump is still running fine, and I drive daily. I've run down to 1.3 liters left in the tank MANY times in the last year with no failures.

I did have a GSS340 fail on my 3.2L. Pressure would die off at high load/RPM. I put a stock E36 pump in there for now, but you really need a high quality pump to turn out 5 bar. I don't think the Walbros are good enough to run 5 bar on the 3.2L for long. Mine started to go bad in less than 2 years. Going with a big Bosch pump next time.
    Last edited by JamesM3M5; 11-13-2009 at 01:55 PM.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    my understanding is you need a high pressure AND high flow pump.

My Cars
    1994 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
    I run a stock pump on the driver's side that dumps fuel into the passenger side, then run the passenger side pump to the fuel rail. I still have the fuel rail return running into the driver's side of the tank (like stock). That pump is still running fine, and I drive daily. I've run down to 1.3 liters left in the tank MANY times in the last year with no failures.

I did have a GSS340 fail on my 3.2L. Pressure would die off at high load/RPM. I put a stock E36 pump in there for now, but you really need a high quality pump to turn out 5 bar. I don't think the Walbros are good enough to run 5 bar on the 3.2L for long. Mine started to go bad in less than 2 years. Going with a big Bosch pump next time.
    that is how mine is now, stock pump on your drivers(wrong ) side Bosch 040 on my drivers (your passenger) side, return running to left pump, which then pumps to right pumps return port, bosch pump supplies fuel rail
    cheers, Alan

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by morerevsm3 View Post
    that is how mine is now, stock pump on your drivers(wrong ) side Bosch 040 on my drivers (your passenger) side, return running to left pump, which then pumps to right pumps return port, bosch pump supplies fuel rail
    Yeah, I don't like the idea of plumbing both pumps running to the fuel rail.

Sorry, should have given a description based on left and right sides versus driver/passenger sides for all those who drive on the other side of the car. That UK influence, I suppose...
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    Ok, I want to make sure I understand you guys correctly. I'm showing my current fuel pump plumbing.....both feed and return lines are T'd to both fuel pump fittings. (see photos below, left side 1st then right side 2nd).

So I'm going to have all fuel return going ONLY to the left pump, the left pump feeds the right pump, and the right pump feeds the fuel rail? Correct? And I won't have any unused nipples, right?

My current left side pump plumbing: (big red line is return)

Current right side plumbing:

My Cars
    1994 M3
    correct, you no longer use the tees, all return fuel to left pump, pressure from left pump goes to fuel return nipple on right pump, pressure from right pump to fuel rail
    cheers, Alan

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    thanks. got it done, will be at the track in 2 weeks, I'll see how it holds up. Hopefully no more blown fuses, and no more fuel starvation.

My Cars
    1994 M3
    you won't have any trouble with that setup, unless one of your pumps is no good
    cheers, Alan

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    just an update on this mod based on my track day last week:

no more blown fuses, but the car still seems to experience fuel starvation under heavy cornering with less than 1/4 tank of fuel.

hmmmm....

My Cars
    Z1, M3 LTW, 228

O2 worth

1) I "T"-d the return to bath both pumps with fuel so that they stay cooler.
    2) I made extra certain that the siphon portion of the original system was still intact and functioning, not "out of place". This seems to help considerably, and I can run pretty dry without starvation.
    3) I do have foam packed tightly on the passenger side to avoid sloshing around.
    4) I have foam on the driver side as well.

I'm not sure how much difference the foam makes. Do this at your own risk.
    Alex Lipowich
    xyobgyn on AOL

Trying to make the world a better place with 5 extra throttle bodies at a time.

My Cars
    2009 E90 M3 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
    I upgraded to a Walbro GSS340, easy install. http://www.apeusa.com sells pumps and install kits (sock, wiring, foam sleeve, etc). I noticed better performance all around, since the 5bar regulator will stress the stock pump a bit, esp once it's old and starts to wear out. Mine had 150k on it when it died this past summer.
    Okay so I read the entire post and did a few searches. Just want to make sure I am getting the right part.

My car is a Euro spec (non converted) 98 M3. So it came with the 5 bar pump which I need to replace. I dont want to shell out $600 for a factory pump and came across this thread.

Questions:

1) The housing is pretty much the same between the US and Euro spec cars its just the fuel pump itself which is different right?

2) I will be getting the GSS340 pump from Apeusa. There are 8 different kits for this pump. Which one do I need? http://www.apeusa.com/html/kits.html

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Lutfy

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    they didn't have all those options when I bought my pumps.

I believe kit 37 most closely resembles what you will need, but you will also need a thin foam spacer for each pump in order to make it fit the pump housing.

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    EDITED ....see below....
    bumping this back up to the top because I need help again.

I have two Walbro GSS340 fuel pumps in the stock E36 fuel tank. Each has it's own circuit and fuse (they are split after the fuel pump relay). The motor is a stock S50B32 (no cams, only Group N software flash with 8K redline)

I revised the plumbing as described in my post #56 above. Fuel return goes only to left side pump, L pump feeds R pump, then R pump feeds fuel rail.

I keep having fuel starvation and blowing fuses below half tank of fuel on a specific hard right-hand, uphill turn at my local track. so it cannot be the L side fuel pump running dry. It must be the R side, as the fuel is sloshing away from this pump in the corner. At this point my only option is to fill the fuel tank nearly full, but this is not ideal from a weight standpoint. And there's the problem of fuel spill through the vent too. EDIT.....after exposing all the wiring, I found it IS the LEFT pump that keeps blowing fuses. Now I'm really confused!!

Is the right side running hot? Should I 'T' the return line to feed BOTH fuel pumps again? Or 'T' the feed line so that fuel is getting to the rail from BOTH pumps?
    Last edited by jmitro; 03-29-2010 at 03:28 AM. Reason: correction

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    bump
    where I can find fuel flow diagram for euro m3 e36 fuel pumps? Is this pumps can have 50 gph at 60 psi?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocrvaw3d4UM Dont drive over limited speed!!! Drive safely......

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Don't know the gph but the pressure is 5 bar which is about 72psi.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    1993 318is
    Quoting so more can see this awesome link!

Thanks

*have modified link because of my post restrictions*

Quote Originally Posted by Emsan View Post
    My FP just went on me yesterday. I am posting mainly for the link below.

I was going to order a Walbro GSS341 as they are much cheaper than oem and put it in the oem barrel assembly, but opted to go stock with sending unit and assembly since my car is getting old and I'm prepping it to race. Local race teams also run stock pumps so they are good enough.

I will also be running dual stock pumps down the road over the winter, I'll install the second pump.

For those interested, I will be following this guide to install the second pump.
    PDF made by a race team.

pumpkininc.com/content/doc/guide/ag-8.pdf

My Cars
    99 E36 M3
    I'm just wondering.
    The delivery unit for the S50B32 It seems is now no longer available.
    The only option is to swap with an aftermarket pump retaining the original sender unit. Does anybody have a specific recommendation for a replacement pump ?
    Has anybody tried a delivery unit from an E46 M3 ?
    Will it fit into the E36 tank and will it run at the same required 5 bar pressure ??

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    I may be off, but it's the pressure regulator not the pump that does that function (pressure regulating).

Coming from a NA delivered car that has a swapped S50B32, it ran for years with the original pump. Eventually, we fitted it with the Bimmerworld twin pump set up.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    99 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    I may be off, but it's the pressure regulator not the pump that does that function (pressure regulating).

Coming from a NA delivered car that has a swapped S50B32, it ran for years with the original pump. Eventually, we fitted it with the Bimmerworld twin pump set up.
    Yes this is correct. The pressure reg does the regulating, but I was informed that the pump must be able to handle the 5 bar required for the S50B32 otherwise it will strain.
    I'm in the middle of trying to source a new delivery unit or failing this, a new pump section, so all this is kinda new to me.
    We learn as we go I guess.

99 Anniversary Edition - E36 - ///M3 - Cosmos Black - SMG - Extended Nappa Leather -
    S50B32 - 236 KW - 320 HP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123