Thread: Alternator or Voltage regulator

My Cars
    01 525it

Alternator or Voltage regulator

My Battery light came on today and I found that the alternator is not putting out any voltage. Looking on web sites for a new alternator I found out that you can buy the volage regulator separtely. Has anyone ever just replaced the voltage regulator and fixed a no voltage output from the alternator problem? Does any one know how to tell if its just the regulator thats bad? just wanting to save some cash. Places sell the regulator at only 80-100 bucks while a new alternator cost $250+.
    thanks for any help or opinions.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    I replaced the voltage regulator on my previous car, a 944. The assembly also included the brushes that contact the armature.

I don't know how you would determine if just the voltage regulator died. It seems a likely failure if you're getting no voltage, but it could be a bad or broken connection inside the alternator (liek a winding). Other than that, about the only other thing that could be wrong is bad bearings, and you'd know if that were the problem.

Most people just swap out the alternator because it's a sure fix. Personally, I prefer to repair these things. You have to be willing to gamble the $80-100 for a new voltage regulator.

If you decide to replace the voltage regulator, let us know how it turns out. Good Luck.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964