Thread: White smoke from oil cap when warm

My Cars
    FredK is my chauffeur

White smoke from oil cap when warm

I started this thread (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=834705) because I noticed a strange smell when I drive. I had a new clutch and flywheel put in about 1k miles ago, so at first I thought it was that. I still smell it now and not only when launching, so I started to wonder

I just got in from work, about a 20 minute drive bc of side roads and traffic, and when I got home I decided to check my oil again, as it had been low last week bc I hadnt checked it in some time (i know, i know). The oil came right up to the low mark, so I do still need to put some more in, but it's not bad.

What I did notice is that I took off the oil fill cap, and there was some white smoke coming from in the engine and through that hole when the cap was removed. is this normal?

My Cars
    95' BMW M3
    Put your hand over it and see if you get condensation. It will let you know if it's water / coolant or if it's oil. Funny smell leads me to believe it's coolant. When mixed with oil it's kinda funky smelling.
    1995 BMW M3
    2007 Porsche GT3 RS
    2011 Subaru STI

Forum for Texas Gun Owners

My Cars
    Cadillac
    uh oh..... disapearing oil, white smoke, funky smell..... I dont want to be the one to tell you the likely possibility

My Cars
    FredK is my chauffeur
    could this be head gasket? is there any simple way to tell.. ie: w/o having to bring it to a shop

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325es, 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by E36M34life View Post
    uh oh..... disapearing oil, white smoke, funky smell..... I dont want to be the one to tell you the likely possibility
    Looks like someone took care of that for you.

|
    |
    V

Quote Originally Posted by SKooT1027 View Post
    could this be head gasket? is there any simple way to tell.. ie: w/o having to bring it to a shop

...To the OP, take a look at your oil. Pull the dipstick out and see if you notice any 'milkiness' to the oil, any white stuff, or anything that indicates there's water mixed with it.

-Nick
    -Nick

My Cars
    FredK is my chauffeur
    btw.. the common symptoms i keep seeing for new HG is 'car runs like crap' and 'constant overheating' .. neither are occuring with my car

could the tranny have f'd something up? i had a new clutch and the 5th gear fix done.. but the 5th gear fix was done wrong (ugh!) so i gotta have the place redo it

My Cars
    FredK is my chauffeur
    the oil seemed like oil when i checked the dipstick
    i dont recall seeing white stuff with it

My Cars
    FredK is my chauffeur
    Oh.. so i spoke w a mechanic buddy and he said its pretty normal for these cars to smoke a little after being driven when you open the oil cap .. bc no smoke comes up through the engine.. only a little when i actually open the cap..

im starting to think the smell is still the clutch breaking in..

can someone check this for me.. like warm up your car and then (turn it off first) and open the oil cap and see if a little smoke appears? .. i dont have the money for a head job .. so by that reasoning it cant be it!

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    When your car is cold (i.e. day after driving it, or sitting for several hours), check the upper radiator hose for firmness. It should be soft and easily squeezable. If there is any resistance your HG is on it's way out.

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Oh.. so i spoke w a mechanic buddy and he said its pretty normal for these cars to smoke a little after being driven when you open the oil cap .. bc no smoke comes up through the engine.. only a little when i actually open the cap..

im starting to think the smell is still the clutch breaking in..

can someone check this for me.. like warm up your car and then (turn it off first) and open the oil cap and see if a little smoke appears? .. i dont have the money for a head job .. so by that reasoning it cant be it!
    A burnt clutch smell is easily recognizable. New clutches do not smell when they're being broken in unless you're launching it or slipping it hard to break it in.

Burning coolant will have a nutty/sweet smell to it.

Burning oil will have more of an exhaust smell.

My Cars
    Cadillac
    Ok, so your car doesn't over heat right? Did you check if there is oil in the coolant? Does your coolant magically disapear? Is there white smoke coming from the exhaust? Those are the most common symptoms.

Oh, and the car wont necessarily run like crap if a head gasket is blown, it doesn't mean the WHOLE hg is toast, it could be like part of one cylinder or maybe two that has a leak, and it will slowly leak in the head causing your steam.

Infact if it was just a small leak, you could still drive the car, you would just have to constantly refill coolant, change oil much more regularly, and open the radiator cap every once in a while to let some of the steam out. But thats only worst case scenario, its highly un recommended to drive around with any sort of leak in the headgasket, you would be just begging for more problems down the road.

My Cars
    FredK is my chauffeur
    i noticed the exhaust smells really bad.. BUT after the clutch the car has been throwing pre-cat o2 sensor codes.. so im guessing those need to be changed .. could those effect the smell of the exhaust? im starting to think that might be some of the smell

Coolant hasnt been topped up in over 8 months .. had the whole cooling sys done about 11 months ago.. oil is due for a change soon anyway

ill check in the AM if i see oil in the coolant.. would it be obviously visible from the fill hole?

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    i noticed the exhaust smells really bad.. BUT after the clutch the car has been throwing pre-cat o2 sensor codes.. so im guessing those need to be changed .. could those effect the smell of the exhaust? im starting to think that might be some of the smell

Coolant hasnt been topped up in over 8 months .. had the whole cooling sys done about 11 months ago.. oil is due for a change soon anyway

ill check in the AM if i see oil in the coolant.. would it be obviously visible from the fill hole?
    You don't have to have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil. You can have a bad HG without either symptom.

Bad O2 sensors will not change the smell.

What does the exhaust smell like? Does it smell like a rotten egg?

My Cars
    FredK is my chauffeur
    no it really just smells like a car thats running rich i guess .. sort of like a normal exhaust smell but amplified

My Cars
    bmw 520
    Skoot what happened? i have exactly same symptoms

When engine warm, white smoke from oil filler cap
    burned oil smell or burned something smell like burned oil
    gas smell from exhaust

1 more from me
    my oil smells like gas

My Cars
    e39 540i/6 83 gmc
    Quote Originally Posted by engind View Post

gas smell from exhaust

1 more from me
    my oil smells like gas
    that doesnt sound like a HG but its not good lol

My Cars
    1995 M3

gas smell from exhaust

1 more from me
    my oil smells like gas
    How long after starting does the smell linger?
    Same with white smoke from filler cap; after running a while or only during the first minute or so?
    May be more than one problem.
    Fuel in oil smell indicates rings worn as does burning oil.
    Τake a compression ck. Directions on how to are plentiful.
    Add a bit of oil to low cyl if numbers seem out of spec.
    If second ck shows increased compression, you need ring work.

My Cars
    FredK is my chauffeur

gas smell from exhaust

1 more from me
    my oil smells like gas

I'm dropping my car off for George at ICS to check out tomorrow. Ive been wanting to do this for a while, and now with these weird quirks ive noticed I figure theres no better time. Hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow I'll know if any problems exist and whats causing em

My Cars
    bmw 520
    after running 40 -60 minutes. So the engine must be totally warm for smoke.
    I changed my spark plugs yesterday and i have old ones. Does worn rings make any sign on spark plugs?

My Cars
    a white one
    Worn rings will leave traces of oil on the plugs. What color are the plugs? They should be a goldish brown if all is well.. any darker, and you are probably oil fouling them a little.

The white smoke from the filler cap is a result of the oil overheating. What oil are you using? Try something different at your next change, see if it goes away. An oil cooler is the best solution if you can't find the right oil; a colder thermostat will help, but won't really fix the problem.

My Cars
    bmw 520
    i use castrol 0-30 slx i take picture of my spark plug but i cant post it to the forum..

My Cars
    1995 M3
    i use castrol 0-30 slx i take picture of my spark plug but i cant post it to the forum..

What is the temp range where you live? That seems like a very lightweight oil.

My Cars
    bmw 520
    outside temperature changes between 15 C - 25 C