Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: TS Parts/Repair List

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Thank you! While I did get the compressor, et al, removed, I didn't remember I wanted to measure it (face palm). I can confidently say it's longer than that shown in your picture.

When I did this installation 2-3 years ago, I must've replaced the corrugated section with some Pro-Lite hose, reusing the BMW ends and cinching them with Oetiker clamps.

I will try to remember to measure it tomorrow...
    Yea, I would say I’m getting older. But that’s not true. My kids are getting older...lol

I can’t remember what I did, but I know I used two of the oem tubes.

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I measured the hose on this (1.7 Ltr) setup to be 19-3/4" of actual hose, PLUS a straight snap-on connector at the cyclone separator, and an angled (approx 45*) connector at the cam-cover end.

OAL (with connectors) is approximately 22"

Quote Originally Posted by Tanks95 View Post
    Okay Randy, here ya go...

IMG_20191203_194337 by William Wallace, on Flickr

Truman, i wish my memory was better...but i "think" the hose in the picture below is a hybrid of two of the OEM 775's (if that makes sense). I believe there is a plastic center section that serves as an extender. Hope this helps. Either way, it seems that Randy is about to pull one, so he will know for sure. But, in the picture below is definitely looks longer that the OEM 775.

20150525_100018 by William Wallace, on Flickr

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    *NEWS FLASH*

I scrounged up a decent original Eurosport supplied hose, and was able to get this number off it: 11 72 1 407 017

Looks right, and it is the same length__20"__as the hose I substituted for it.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/11721407017/

ECS picture (1 of 3)

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    *NEWS FLASH*

I scrounged up a decent original Eurosport supplied hose, and was able to get this number off it: 11 72 1 407 017

Looks right, and it is the same length__20"__as the hose I substituted for it.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/11721407017/

ECS picture (1 of 3)

BINGO. Good Stuff Randy!

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    2003 M3, 1998 M3 TS
    BINGO. Good Stuff Randy!
    Ah! Thanks guys! Now I just need to train my kids to use their small hands to fit it up without removing the manifold.
    2.1L Eurosport Twin screw on the 98 m3. Please send tires.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Truman325i View Post
    Ah! Thanks guys! Now I just need to train my kids to use their small hands to fit it up without removing the manifold.
    Wouldn't that be nice! Sounds like a worthy project__and good way to get them involved with cars.

Out of consideration for the gasket, the last couple of times I've taken the combined compressor/manifold off, I've used an engine hoist (still took the head off "manually" though, AARRGGHH!!).

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5

Laminova Cooler

I probably should make this it's own long thread but I barely have time to mow my tiny patch of grass these days. This work was mostly done over the winter and has been working great for 5 months and felt I needed to post something.

Thanks to everyone who gave me input and info on the laminova cores, it was super helpful with this project. Sorry this is so short but happy to answer questions.

I machined my own end caps and got a hold of some laminova cores that were too long and turned them down on a lathe to the proper length which was fun. The company is not producing them at this time but plans to go back into production after whatever merger/acquisition they're going through (as of January).

I then ended up getting a noise from the charger, probably the snout bearing that needed replaced. But took it apart myself being the idiot engineer that I am and did not time it exactly right when reassembling. There are no "keys" to orient the blower rotors, just friction fit with about .005" clearance (possibly .003" and .007" on the opposite rotor sides so that when the dive rotor loads up it becomes .005" on both sides, if that makes sense). Anyways the rotors rubbed.

So I bought a brand new 2.0L Kenne Bell that I found on UK ebay and hacked the bypass valve up in order to make it fit since the case is much longer. Also the pulley needed to be machined on the backside to match, just FYI, I think it's a modified cobra pulley IIRC.

I cant say enough about John Bond at John Bond Performance who literally picks up the phone 9/10 times when you call. Unbelievable customer service, a pleasure to work with, great pricing, and willing to share his extensive knowledge despite being busy running a company. Plus he is really the only resource outside of KB themselves who couldn't be bothered to call me back. I also had him install a slick button sightglass and PTFE seals that are meth compatible.

I'm seeing IAT temps 60deg above ambient while crusing after 20+ mile drives still so I installed a aquamist meth kit that I need to tune this week and then reroute the lines from the aftercooler away from the exhaust and wrap them as they are basically 2" away from the manifold, as well as upgrade the stock choking headers.

Seeing 13psi driving reasonably with the stock HG and hoping headers drops the psi to safer levels as this is my DD. I've been doing all my tuning myself with romraider which gives you access to all the maps and then some.

Also I found that the gatorback belts are now rebranded as continental elite and I picked up a handful from home depot for 17$ each (now $34 but you get the idea), as the 2000-2006 carolla belt fit my application. It eliminated my squeaking immediately and some people have reported seeing an increase of boost. Home Depot SKU: 1004277433

s-l400 (15).jpg20191103_162508.jpg20191103_204029.jpg20191120_191837.jpg20190823_142836.jpg
    Last edited by InDTM3; 05-30-2020 at 02:14 AM.
    Twin screws

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Obligatory messy engine bay pics. It's no show car but it's a fun car. Tidying up will come after exhaust and cooling is sorted out.

20200530_000552.jpg20200530_000723.jpg20200530_000659.jpg
    Twin screws

My Cars
    skateboard
    So fancy. Good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Very impressive!

I have always maintained that with an idea and determination, a mill & a lathe (a few welding machines help too) that there are no boundaries to what you can do. You have just proven my point. Good job!

I cannot imagine the stress level while shortening those cores; the first one would be bad enough, but wondering how long your luck will last while doing the third one must've been going through your head. HOW did the chuck hold it with so little purchase at the moment of break-through...? Wow!

The headers will make a huge improvement. A couple years ago, I essentially built a clone of my own ES/TS Coupe for a near-local guy, right down to the Racelogic traction control. The only difference is the exhaust manifolds; mine are stock S52 and I put large/long tube RMS headers on his. I still work on his car from time to time, and it always startles me how much harder his hits than mine. I acquired a set of standard diameter long tube headers off a used engine I bought, and had Jet-Hot do a nice thermal barrier coating on them, but they're still wrapped up and one the shelf (along with a Shrick exhaust cam...). Always too busy working on other people's cars to have any fun with my own. That's in the process of changing

But again, you've done a pretty impressive job of upgrading your setup! I sure hope that Laminova comes back online with the shorter cores__I don't even want to think about ever having to shorten a set of them

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, the difference in boost__mine's 8-1/2 to 9 psi is likely more to do with the size of the drive pulley. Compare mine with yours.

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    good stuff!

My Cars
    99 m coupe, 88 M5
    Very nice. I second the RMS headers. They really wake the car up. Is there a market for these kits used? I mean when they come up for sale do they fetch a descent price? Also when I was adding my bigger blower, I was using off the shelf Kenne bell pulleys with no mods. But I used the same blower just larger and swapped the snouts. I have a bunch laying around.

Jmc
    Last edited by jmc; 05-30-2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Add

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Very impressive!

I have always maintained that with an idea and determination, a mill & a lathe (a few welding machines help too) that there are no boundaries to what you can do. You have just proven my point. Good job!
    Definitely agree with you there. The picture shown was actually my test core that I used to see if this was even possible before fully committing, for the others I used an ID mandrel to hold it and it wasn't bad at all, ripped through the last one!

Now my memory has been jogged a bit, I BELIEVE, BAT bought out Laminova and all their production equipment, focusing on the oil cooler side of things and they have boxes of the core parts but not our length x diam. They said they would be back into production eventually but because no OEMs are really using it they will likely be slow getting back into it. They were willing to do a small batch if the price was right. Very helpful on the customer service side.

I don't remember, are you also running a 2.0L KB? That picture is actually with the snout and pulley I bought it with, had JBP swap my snout on and put the largest 6 rib pulley they had on it to keep the boost as low as I can for now.

I'm leaning toward RMS long tubes but the price of Racelands is significant enough to consider them. Obviously the RMS are better but is 75 vs 60mm really seeing that much benefit/psi drop around 400whp? Either way it would be an improvement over the 45mm stock. And then custom midpipe all the way back to my UUC catback assuming it doesn't choke there.

My goal is to keep the stock HG as long as possible since pulling the head is not fun and I have to spend my time building an M715 before winter. I'll be throwing on ARP studs when I replace the Vanos seal in a few weeks as well but definitely need to drop the back pressure.
    Twin screws

My Cars
    97 AA TS M3
    Hey guys, I just finished up installing an AA stage 2 kit and found out the intercooler pump is bad. Is there a replacement that's readily available?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Chris View Post
    Hey guys, I just finished up installing an AA stage 2 kit and found out the intercooler pump is bad. Is there a replacement that's readily available?
    BAT in Sarasota carries this Johnson pump (original equipment with the Eurosport twinscrew). Other people have used the Ford diesel pump, but this one is more compact, and has substantial flow capability.

My Cars
    97 M3/4 - Hurtig/AA TS
    BAT in Sarasota carries this Johnson pump (original equipment with the Eurosport twinscrew). Other people have used the Ford diesel pump, but this one is more compact, and has substantial flow capability.

Johnson cm30 pump is also the pump that was used in the AA kit...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Have you been Screwed?

My Cars
    97 AA TS M3
    That's the one. Thanks!

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    This freaking thread is GREAT! Not to mention it has survived the post-apocalyptic Facebook groups domination era!
    Last edited by Tanks95; 06-14-2020 at 02:33 PM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    This freaking thread is GREAT! No to mention it has survived the post-apocalyptic Facebook groups domination era!
    Plus 1. Down with social media

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    I almost feel like it should be archived and saved somewhere in case something like M3Forums happens here.

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
    I almost feel like it should be archived and saved somewhere in case something like M3Forums happens here.
    yup, my solution is ctrl-p / print as pdf. Now its all mine in pdf form (PC users don't forget to select backgrounds images)

I don't know what the weirdo Mac users do...in their electric M3s...lol (just kidding) sorta

My Cars
    97 AA TS M3
    This thread has saved me countless hours of searching around for parts to complete my AA Stage 2 kit. Just got done with the install today and shes running great! Now to get a new clutch so I can actually lay into her

2FC51FEB-3DDA-46B7-9F6D-23D08393C26D.jpg

https://youtu.be/P08gIQI3Q-s
    Last edited by E36Chris; 06-19-2020 at 11:35 PM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    yup, my solution is ctrl-p / print as pdf. Now its all mine in pdf form (PC users don't forget to select backgrounds images)

I don't know what the weirdo Mac users do...in their electric M3s...lol (just kidding) sorta
    Good tip! I made a less than successful attempt a few days ago, thinking I could get all eight (8) pages at once. That didn't work (for me).

I am pleased to say that I just made a successful copy by doing each page separately. Next task__for another day__will be to merge the eight (8) pdfs into one (1) document that can be read seamlessly from the first post, #1 through to the last, currently post #197 (any tips on that...?).

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Good tip! I made a less than successful attempt a few days ago, thinking I could get all eight (8) pages at once. That didn't work (for me).

I am pleased to say that I just made a successful copy by doing each page separately. Next task__for another day__will be to merge the eight (8) pdfs into one (1) document that can be read seamlessly from the first post, #1 through to the last, currently post #197 (any tips on that...?).
    everybody's view settings are different...for example i only see 4 total pages in the entire thread.

and.....ummm, you have all of this in your head, you don't need this!

When i was wrenching on my baby daily, i had all the part numbers and such in my head, however, i haven't had to turn a wrench on her in a looooooong while. (which is a great testimony to the kit).. then again, shes not a daily driver.
    Last edited by Tanks95; 06-20-2020 at 04:53 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3
    Does VAC still sell the reinforced intake manifold gasket? The link in post #1 goes to a generic "it aint there" splash page and if I search M52 intake manifold gasket, it lists the schrick part as not available.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast