Thread: Will steering wheel controls work with an aftermarket radio?

My Cars
    '08 535xi

Will steering wheel controls work with an aftermarket radio?

I am looking to upgrade my OEM "BMW Business CD" unit with this DVD/navigation unit and am wondering if my steering wheel controls (channel, volume) would work with this? this is basically whats holding me back. I love the fact that I can use the steering wheel controls and I like to be able to use them with an aftermarket unit...

EDIT - I came across this PAC SWI-X but would it work with the particular unit I linked? also, will there be wires/controls visible? I like to keep the clean OEM look
    Last edited by BMW Newbie; 09-19-2007 at 10:14 AM.

My Cars
    F30 (02tiE30E34E55E46)
    I dont thin the wheel controls will work, there is a relay that I dont think hooks up to the aftrmarket units, check out BWS they make a lot of products that are compatible.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/index.php
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog68 View Post
    The day I find my E30 M3 will be the day that all is well in my world. I will see her and smile, then she'll smile because she knows!

My Cars
    01 325i topaz ; 04 325i alpine
    yes you can use the steering control with aftermarket radios with the special part and no its not visible.
    Vince
    "the love of driving comes with a price"
    www.cardomain.com/id/tizsuperrq
    FS: Hamann HM2 19" Sold!

My Cars
    Sexy E21
    i have a satelite radio, and no it won't work on it. and i don't see the phone in my car either, still have the button in the steering wheel , so i guess it use to be in the old radio.