Thread: loud clunk noise from the rear

My Cars
    93 BMW 318i, 99 323i

loud clunk noise from the rear

i have a 93 318i and everytime im driving randomly i get this random clunk noise ....when i let go of the gas pedal fast to hit the cluth theres this nasty clunk noise from the rear...its not from the tranny cuz i drove with my head outside of the car one night and it was clearly from the rear end... i dumped my clucth one night in the rain to see if the sub frame bushing are done...it was just fine...when i shift from first to second it makes that noise again....and on and on randomly....oh and the diffy was rebuilt pro. 3 years ago

any thoughts

My Cars
    '08 Z4MC, '95 325i
    OT, but how does dumping the clutch in the rain help you decide if the subframe bushings need replacing?

Good luck figuring it out... off hand, I'd say check the center support bearing (pretty sure that's what it's called, someone confirm/fix) or RSMs.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    there's a "hooker in the trunk" joke somewhere in here... i just can't word it properly.

My Cars
    E39 M5
    torn subframe, been there done that, pretty much ended up in a For Sale sign

My Cars
    none
    Tip #1: Don't be stupid. Jack up the rear end of your car, because nobody on here can give you an e-diagnosis. Whatever it is will be very clear.

I doubt it is rear subframe mount failure. The rear end of my car was very loose and it clunked bad on turns.

I am thinking it is your differential bolt. Replace that and the bushing there. Don't drive your car until you fix it to prevent much more costly damage.

My Cars
    94 BMW325i, 95 civic ex, 95 accord lx
    i had the same problem, it was the diff bolt. some how it backed out.