Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On average how much will your lap times drop going from street tires to R comps?

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.

On average how much will your lap times drop going from street tires to R comps?

just curious how much lap times will improve with the switch from street tires to R comps?

obviously i know its going to vary between tracks/conditions... just looking for a guesstimate average.

My Cars
    Uh
    if I knew what I was doing, probably 10 seconds. 5 seconds is about what I see at TWS.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    That's what I'd say, about 5 sec on the local 4,3 km track here.

M3 321 HP on streettires runs about 2:15 and on Yoko A32R H's + Intrax coilovers 150 KG weight reduction about 2:05, so a better tire would even make it a few sec faster. A few sec is in the coilover + weight reduction as well offcourse.
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Never bother to time myself. I am only in DEs and dont drive 10/10ths. Stop watches cause wrecks at DEs
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    Uh
    Quote Originally Posted by CABimmer View Post
    Never bother to time myself. I am only in DEs and dont drive 10/10ths. Stop watches cause wrecks at DEs
    How do you know if you are growing your driving skills? I personally find lap timing (not a stopwatch), data aq. and now video to be very useful tools for learning. I recommend them highly to anyone who is serious about improving their driving technique and their ability to teach others.

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Any decent driver can tell when they are hitting apexes correctly and driving smooth, this is what I look for. If you really want to look at numbers you can look at your exit speed. Most events here do not permit timing devices, And again as I stated DEs are 8/10ths not 10/10ths. Most people around you are not at a level where you can drive at that level and not cause an incident. You will almost never get a traffic free lap and a clean lap time.

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    2018 M3, 1995 M3
    Any decent driver can tell when they are hitting apexes correctly and driving smooth, this is what I look for. If you really want to look at numbers you can look at your exit speed. Most events here do not permit timing devices, And again as I stated DEs are 8/10ths not 10/10ths. Most people around you are not at a level where you can drive at that level and not cause an incident. You will almost never get a traffic free lap and a clean lap time.
    I have to disagree. I have been timing for years where allowed and it does give you lots of feedback, the most important of which is consistency. Sure you may hit traffic but that is not every lap. I don't look at the times until after the session. While I might be able to discern I just drove a quick lap I can't always tell I was .8 seconds faster on average than my last session or last time at the track. While I don't drive 10/10ths and try to stick to the 8-9/10ths rule there are certain corners where you can push a bit harder due to runoff.
    Kevin
    2018 M3 Comp Black sapphire, ivory
    '95 M3, Avus/Dove, MCS SA 550/650, Conforti intake/software, 24" inj, 3.5" HFM, 18x9 Apex ARC8
    Prior BMW's:
    '07 335i manual
    '91 M5 Alpine white/black
    '89 325i

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Just a different philosophy, I don’t think a DE is the place to be pushing for better times. That’s all.

I’m not saying there is no benefit to data acquisition or lap timers. If you are driving a perfect line and looking to shave off a few tenths you need to be doing open lapping not DEs.

Back on Topic you will be faster.
    Last edited by CABimmer; 09-17-2007 at 06:53 PM.

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    Spec E36, Cayman, 330i
    Nice banter, lads, but bBack to the topic at hand.....

There are 'street tires' and there are 'street tires'. Assuming you mean garden variety, OEM stuff, we've found about 3-4 seconds per minute elapsed, with a big delta on circuits depending upon how twisty it is, etc.

Vs. a really good set of Kuhmo MXs, or Azenia, etc., about half that as a WAG.

Having said all that, there's also a big delta between 'r' compounds, a Yoko A048 vs. a Kuhmo 710/Hoosier, like night and day, a fresh set of the later being over a second per minute quicker.

As hundreds of folks on this forum have proclaimed, the biggest bang for the buck for a DE r compound is the Toyo RA1, hands down...relatively cheap, pretty darn sticky, and lasts a LOT longer than anything else out there.

My Cars
    e30M3, Jeep GC, 2.5RS
    I'll stick my nose in on this one.

CABimmer is right, at DEs it's not about lap time. Most DEs prohibit timing of any type cause it changes the insurance liability.

The way I judge is if I gain or lose ground on a car I know is petty even to mine in performance. I usually settle in behind someone I can't pass outright and start to play with them and see if I can match their pace. After the session I usually shake hands with the guy and we grid up together the next go-round so we can gauge eachother's line, performance etc.

Granted, I am running solo 95% of the time so it's more of a lapping session.

Second fact, exit speeds are everything at DEs. It's a way to gauge your performance turn by turn. It's the easiest way to judge consistancy and see tangable evidence that you are getting smoother.

Back on topic, R-comps are faster but more dangerous. On most R-comps there is very little feedback with squeeling and when they do let go there is alot less transition from grip to slip.

On the other hand, you'll never want to go back to street tires on the track once you've had R-comps on your car. See sig, you can't do that on street tires.

RA-1s, like phreddeb recommended.
    Last edited by onrailsm3; 09-17-2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: phreddeb is right too.

My Cars
    2018 M3, 1995 M3
    If you are driving a perfect line
    What's that? :-)
    Kevin
    2018 M3 Comp Black sapphire, ivory
    '95 M3, Avus/Dove, MCS SA 550/650, Conforti intake/software, 24" inj, 3.5" HFM, 18x9 Apex ARC8
    Prior BMW's:
    '07 335i manual
    '91 M5 Alpine white/black
    '89 325i

My Cars
    87 325is, 00 323iT
    2 seconds maybe.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    A rule of thumb used by autocrossers is that for a driver on street tires, multiply the time by 0.96 as a handicap relative to R comps. Some folks think 0.97 is more accurate, but there are many variables and it's just a guess anyway.

That's not directly relevant to the question as it pertains to a road course, but at least it gives some perspective.

My Cars
    E30M, E36M, E61TT
    1 minute.

My Cars
    '03.5 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBall View Post
    2 seconds maybe.
    I think it is vehicle dependent, but I can guarantee if I put street tires on my race car, my lap times would be far slower then two seconds off my best.

My Cars
    I time myself regularly at DEs, open track days, and time trials. Kuhmo MXs to RA1s cut between 4-4.5 seconds off my times at Watkins Glen (3.5 miles, long straights), 2-2.5 seconds at LRP (stupid short bumpy curvy course), and 3 seconds at Mont Tremblant (2.5 miles). Dont have any street tire data for other tracks.

Re: timing at instructional DEs or other: I just started using data acq. and its an unreal learning tool. You'll find time you never knew you were losing and the next time you go back out you'll wonder why you ever made that mistake.

My Cars
    4 old ones
    A lot depends on your comfort level too. Maybe it is just me.
    For 2 years I was not 1 second faster with RA1s over my T1S.
    After an instructor got me off my plateau, my times improved slightly on RA1s.

...steven BMWCCA 146825
    http://318ti.org | http://bmwcca.org/forum
    1995 318ti Club Sport - 1996 328ti Sport - 1991 325iC - 2003 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    87 325is, 00 323iT
    Quote Originally Posted by SlammedE30 View Post
    I think it is vehicle dependent, but I can guarantee if I put street tires on my race car, my lap times would be far slower then two seconds off my best.
    thats about all i found in my street car from Potenze Re750's to RA1s RA1 isnt really a race tire but not far from a hooiser

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    If you don't have a decent set up, ie just slap the soft Rcomps on a stock suspended macstrut car, you'll be disappointed.
    Without adressing the loss of negative camber under conditions of dynamic roll, you won't realise much advantage from your stickies.
    The Rcomps will exacerbate the body roll until they overheat.

m

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmark. View Post
    If you don't have a decent set up, ie just slap the soft Rcomps on a stock suspended macstrut car, you'll be disappointed.
    Without adressing the loss of negative camber under conditions of dynamic roll, you won't realise much advantage from your stickies.
    The Rcomps will exacerbate the body roll until they overheat.

m
    how come this isnt the case with the m3 csl?

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    Don't fully agree that it doesn't work either, a old E30 325i with cheap shocks, 20$ loweringsprings on slicks or R888's corners faster than a E36 M3 on streettires, big ass coilover setup with camberplates.
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious View Post
    how come this isnt the case with the m3 csl?
    You may want to re read my entry, and the spec sheet of the CSL.

m

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    Quote Originally Posted by =BA= View Post
    Don't fully agree that it doesn't work either, a old E30 325i with cheap shocks, 20$ loweringsprings on slicks or R888's corners faster than a E36 M3 on streettires, big ass coilover setup with camberplates.
    You're not really comparing the same bone stock chassis on Rcomps.

In my opinion,my response to your observation..forgive me, is more weight and more straightline speed in your E36.
    Compare either of your cars with a bone stock chassis and rcomps, to your prepped chassis on rcomps.

In my experience, I used a bone stock E30 m3 with street tyres, and then Rcomps, and the improvement was slight...the car was good either way....relatively light.
    The Improvement of a different E30M3 was large, with coilover suspension, higher spring rates, camber compensation , and rcomps.

I tried my bone stock E36M3 with Rcomps and the car was terrible after two laps. the weight and body roll were destroying the outside pair of tyres.
    It took Lowering, higher spring rates, and most importantly camber compensation, for the car to get any benefit from the Rcomps.

The venue was a 2 mile road course.

The E30 M3 was set up better from the factory and has a shorter wheelbase and less weight (2800 plus driver) than a stock late E36 M3(3400+ plus driver), so the Rcomps had a better platform to work with.

Everything works as a package. There is a reason why money is spent on chassis work (springs, bars, camber plates, damper tuning), if and when the rules permit it. Even the SCCA stock class allows some work on the platform .

You may notice a benefit with Rcomps on a stock car in a low speed autox situation where the run is over before the tyre gets to the upper end of its operating temp range, but the road course environment is a bit different.

My point is that you fail to get the most out of your R comps if you don't have a decent platform to begin with.

m

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by onrailsm3 View Post
    On the other hand, you'll never want to go back to street tires on the track once you've had R-comps on your car. See sig, you can't do that on street tires.
    I must challenge that statement, sir!

This is on Yoko Advan Neova ADO7s street tires.

I've heard that in autox, R-comps are worth about 2 sec. on a 60 sec. course (over street tires). Of course there are lots of variables, and lots of pseudo R-comp/street tires now (Neova AD07s, Stones RE01Rs)...

Good rule of thumb is ~ 5% faster on " R " compounds...

workks out to ~ 3 seconds/minute/which is a bunch !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast