Thread: 320d SE turbo problems

My Cars
    Bmw 320d SE 2002 and a 1997 BMW 323i

320d SE turbo problems

Hi everyone.

Just wondering if anyone out there can help me with any information on my bimmer issue. I have a 2002 BMW 320d SE and last month I was driving at normal speeds and suddenly I noticed a loss of speed and a lot of smoke coming form the exhaust.

I telephoned BMW and they were saying its the turbo most likely and quoted me £1100 for the turbo and £700 for the labour - they also said I might need a new Cat.

I took it to a local BMW spares mechanic who put in a a reconditioned Turbo unit like for like and also put in a second hand Cat all for £600 all inc.

However I now have a problem which this local garage could not resolve. There is no smoke and turbo is working fine but I cannot get it to rev over 3000rpm. It seems like 3000 is the highest it can possibly go.

The engineer tried connecting to the ECU which didnt connect 9/10 times and on the one occasion it did he wasnt able to reset.

Im just wondering if any of you have experienced a similar problem and have resolved it - and what possibly is the fix for my problem.

The car has been fully serviced at BMW and I recently (8weeks ago) bought the car for £7000 from a local ebay trader. As you can imagine I feel like throttling the seller but I can't. Please can anyone advise me as I would be so grateful for any help.

My Cars
    -18 F31 Msport 320da 4x4
    Normally i woyuld say that the air mass meter that sits in the intake is broken. It´s the meter that tells the engine management how much fuel to inject.

Normal issues when broken
    *Sluggish, responds slow to throttle input
    *Will not rev over 3000 RPM
    *Hard to start even with glows on for extended periods (like 10-15 seconds).

The AMM is a common problem on our 150hp CRD E-vnt diesels. Mine has broken twice in ~68.000 miles /110 000 KM. Replaced both times and car good both times.

Could maybe be the commonrail pressure sensor.. but I´m thinking not. that normally results in a fault code. The AAM fault doesn´t even light up the engineproblem light!

//amullo
    F31 320da xdrive msport