Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: My e39 Koni FSD install and thoughts

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
    There should have been an addendum to the instructions by now...or shall I even go to say instructions with pictures and "words"...
    I agree 100 percent!

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    Problem is, I don't have a spring compressor and honestly, I would never use one like shown in the pics again. The safe, proper tool is the wall mounted ones the shops use.
    For some reason you insist on arguing.....my opinion is above, I did not proclaim that everyone HAS to follow my advice. What is apparent, the more you go on and on, is that the safe, proper tool "in your opinion" is the one below with the wingnuts as a safety mechanism, with independent torquing of each rod that you must crank by hand, correct? Now we can argue if YOU insist

Safe? History has it that even experienced people have gotten hurt with these....

Safe? I think so

Please point to where I said ......
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSapphire View Post
    This is a DIY site and you're telling everyone that the only safe way to do it is to get a shop or spend many hundreds of dollars on a professional setup for a one-time job. Not everyone is uncomfortable with tools and you shouldn't try to scare them off.
    If there isn't some fear when using this tool with the wingnuts as a safety mechanism, you are the one providing "mis-information", not I.

You can concede whenever you like......
    Last edited by fmzip; 12-30-2007 at 11:54 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    I'm sure you'll take my lack of response as 'conceding' when in actuality, this arguement is silly. I stand by my points. And no, I'm not referring to 'wing nut' based ones - mine has locking pins with detents that slide.

How come every automotive show on TV shows the very same unit I use? Because it's unsafe? Absurd. It's as safe as the operator. Besides, these springs aren't under near as much tension as most other cars I've done.

Over and out.

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    ^^^^^
    Problem is, I don't have a spring compressor and honestly, I would never use one like shown in the pics again.
    My original comment was referring to the compressor in the pic, the one with the wing nuts. Safety pins don't make me feel much more comfortable either.

As I said, "safe" is a matter of opinion. I feel it's unsafe to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft with a parachute, you may feel it's perfectly "safe". It obviously doesn't matter how skilled you are/aren't with the $29.99 tool when and if something fails.

The old adage, "just because everyone else does it" holds no creedance. The Bentley manual doesn't advise you on how to use the tool. The tool is perfectly usable, it's serves it's purppose for $29.99. Is it safe, as safe as $29.99 gets you. It's no longer safe to me, and I shared my feelings. For $21.01 more, I took mine to a shop, I didn't suggest anyone buy an expensive unit either.

This is not "absurd", nor "mis-information". Be as careful as you may, if you make a mistake with one of these and the wingnuts fail, you will get hurt if the spring hits you. You could die, that's reality.

You accept the risk, I no longer do. The first time novice should be with someone who has experience using a tool like this, otherwise they are playing with a loaded gun.
    Now I concede like a gentlemen should concede instead of saying the discussion is silly once the momentum shifts into the other direction......

P.S. Why do you think that bullet proof yellow cage is on the pic of the machine I attached and wingnuts/safety pins suffice for "the novice"?
    Last edited by fmzip; 12-31-2007 at 10:35 AM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    ^^^^^

My original comment was referring to the compressor in the pic, the one with the wing nuts. Safety pins don't make me feel much more comfortable either.

As I said, "safe" is a matter of opinion. I feel it's unsafe to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft with a parachute, you may feel it's perfectly "safe". It obviously doesn't matter how skilled you are/aren't with the $29.99 tool when and if something fails.

The old adage, "just because everyone else does it" holds no creedance. The Bentley manual doesn't advise you on how to use the tool. The tool is perfectly usable, it's serves it's purppose for $29.99. Is it safe, as safe as $29.99 gets you. It's no longer safe to me, and I shared my feelings. For $21.01 more, I took mine to a shop, I didn't suggest anyone buy an expensive unit either.

This is not "absurd", nor "mis-information". Be as careful as you may, if you make a mistake with one of these and the wingnuts fail, you will get hurt if the spring hits you. You could die, that's reality.

You accept the risk, I no longer do. The first time novice should be with someone who has experience using a tool like this, otherwise they are playing with a loaded gun.
    Now I concede like a gentlemen should concede instead of saying the discussion is silly once the momentum shifts into the other direction......

P.S. Why do you think that bullet proof yellow cage is on the pic of the machine I attached and wingnuts/safety pins suffice for "the novice"?
    I will say that it was fun watching this train wreck. Get over yourself 'safety man'. Thanks for the good laugh.

/out

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    I will say that it was fun watching this train wreck. Get over yourself 'safety man'. Thanks for the good laugh.

/out
    Hopefully next time you'll think before you speak. Calling another opinion absurd and un-founded, when indeed it's factual brings to light the lack of legs your arguement has to stand on.

What I will concede is that I can't argue very well with an idiot because you will bring me to your level and then beat me with experience in ignorance.....

Happy New Year and let your "safety pin" hold up for several more strut changes.....May the "pin" be with you.

Warmest Regards,

Safety Man

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Hopefully next time you'll think before you speak. Calling another opinion absurd and un-founded, when indeed it's factual brings to light the lack of legs your arguement has to stand on.

What I will concede is that I can't argue very well with an idiot because you will bring me to your level and then beat me with experience in ignorance.....

Happy New Year and let your "safety pin" hold up for several more strut changes.....May the "pin" be with you.

Warmest Regards,

Safety Man

Show me your facts. You should actually do some of this work on a regular basis, then you might not be so terrified of tools. I don't know where you're going with this but implying that tools sold to do the job we are specifically using them for is unsafe (when used properly) is still absurd and your argument is unfounded. Once again, you offer no real data. Nobody is arguing that a machine several thousand dollars more expensive isn't better and safer. That would be absurd on my part and I will not step down to your level so to speak. Hydraulic jacks are 100x more dangerous. I guess we should all install a pit or a four post lift? That is the very same argument. It's all about the experience of the user and his techniques. The tool, in and of itself, is not the dangerous part (think handguns). What is idiotic about that?

I'm done with you - it's like playing cards with my brother's kids. I never called you a derogatory name, yet you have indeed stooped to that level. I don't see how you get off calling me an idiot. Sad. I'm not going to convince you, so leave it alone. You are the FIRST person to come on here and argue that those tools are unsafe (even when used properly). Don't try to make it seem like I'm the one out in left field. If you are uncomfortable with them, walk away. Do something else. Get a different hobby.

Be a man and let it go. I'm not asking you to concede anything, I'm just asking you to shut up for the sake of everyone that's tired of reading your B.S. We've chewed up enough bandwidth on this one.

Good day.

My Cars
    1999 E39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Anyone have a set of OEM 525/528/530 sport springs to trade for my Eibach Pro Kit 525/528/530 springs or to sell outright? I love the FSDs and Eibachs and my wife does not complain about the ride, but we park in a barn and the car scrapes a little when going up the ramp and into the barn with more than 2 people in it and my wife does complain about the scraping. PM or e-mail me.
    I have a set of OEM sport springs for 1999 528i that I'll let go for $180.00. I would even consider an acceptable trade as you mentioned. Email if still interested.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    I've used some shifty looking old spring compressors in the past and actually broke one with doing struts on a dodge omni long ago. I'm still not afraid of them. The springs on these cars are soft to begin with and they dont need very much compression to be installed/removed.

My Cars
    BMW '95 318i and '01 325i
    Hey this a great thread IMO -- don't turn it into unreadable choof with tooltime safety tiffs.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Hey this a great thread IMO -- don't turn it into unreadable choof with tooltime safety tiffs.
    I totally agree Tom.

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    You should actually do some of this work on a regular basis, then you might not be so terrified of tools.

Sad. I'm not going to convince you, so leave it alone. You are the FIRST person to come on here and argue that those tools are unsafe (even when used properly). Get a different hobby.
    As I said, I cannot continue, your expierence in this ring will prevail........

I do the work myself, lots of it. I CHOOSE to no longer do the coil springs with a $29.95 tool. I used too, probably 15 times over my 41 years. Is my fear from inexperience, or wisdom? Am I becoming wiser, lazier, safer, smarter? I only said I brought my spring to a shop that has a SAFE TOOL. That is factual!

I shouldn't be told by you to find a new hobby because I CHOOSE not to use a $29.99 tool which I don't feel is safe for the job any longer....

If I am the FIRST person to have a different point view on the tools they CHOOSE to use, I shouldn't have to hear from you to get a new hobby. I was stating in this thread how I handled my project. You CHOSE to debate my approach on how I handled things....

Maybe you feel that your 2000+ posts sugget you are the Messiah. I am not part of your following, I am sorry.... that's not what this forum is about.

I have nothing left to say.....

Back on to this thread.....FSD's are awesome!

My Cars
    m52 powered
    enough already please. I don't want to have to lock this thread or start deleting posts.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by fmzip

If I am the FIRST person to have a different point view on the tools they CHOOSE to use, I shouldn't have to hear from you to get a new hobby. I was stating in this thread how I handled my project. You CHOSE to debate my approach on how I handled things....
    You keep saying that and you are still wrong. I did not debate how you did it. I said (and I repeat it here for posterity): The tool you refer to as the only safe tool is indeed not the only safe tool. Period. Safest? Probably. Is a 4 post life safer than a hand jack (something that kills hundreds a year)? You bet! There are many guys on here that want to disassemble and reassemble their own strut assemblies and it's unfair for you to say that every tool within their reach is not safe. They are sold as safe and ARE safe when used correctly. That's all I was saying. I'm offering a counter-point to your statement. This is an open forum on the internet. Not everyone will agree with you. Get used to it and accept it as another opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by fmzip

Maybe you feel that your 2000+ posts sugget you are the Messiah. I am not part of your following, I am sorry.... that's not what this forum is about.
    Do you know me? Why do you insist on trying to defame me or my contributions to the forum? I have 2000+ posts because I spend a lot of my free time helping others out. Nobody asked you to follow me bro. Please go your own way.

At least you're calming down a bit. I think your fundamental mis-understanding is that the 'pin' has nothing do to with supporting any loads. You keep telling me 'good luck with that pin', but it shows your ignorance regarding it's design. It's there to keep the spring coil nestled against the j arm so it doesn't slip off until you get some tension on them. When the tool is in use, you could remove the pin all together and it wouldn't affect the structural integrity of the compressed assembly. So, the pin only exists to keep it in place during the initial tighting sequence as well as towards the end of the de-compressing cycle when the spring starts to come loose from the pocket and perch. In either instance, there is almost zero tension on the spring at that point.

Don't hang your hat on that pin - it's just not going to affect safety that much - even it it broke on a spring under tension (not likely to happen since there is zero force exerted on the pin). Them's the facts boyz!

As for FSDs, best shocks I've owned. Hands down.
    Last edited by BlackSapphire; 01-01-2008 at 05:47 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by e39dream View Post
    enough already please. I don't want to have to lock this thread or start deleting posts.
    Yeah, I don't want it to come to that. Therefore, I have said all I can say to Stanley. If either of us drag this on, delete our posts, put us in time out, etc.

My Cars
    03' 530i 72' Turbo 240z

As for FSDs, bets shocks I've owned. Hands down.
    +1

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Weather permitting I am re-doing my front FSD's tomorrow. The driver's side spring isn't seated properly (something I've been reading about on pages 2-4 of this thread).

My driver's side spring is tweaked, bound up a bit, making noise and not allowing the strut to work properly as turning the steering wheel during right hand turns makes the car feel like a 1973 Eldorado. I have NVH (noise, vibration, handling) that must be cured by tomorrow afternoon or I will go Jedi on someone. I will.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Weather permitting I am re-doing my front FSD's tomorrow. The driver's side spring isn't seated properly (something I've been reading about on pages 2-4 of this thread).

My driver's side spring is tweaked, bound up a bit, making noise and not allowing the strut to work properly as turning the steering wheel during right hand turns makes the car feel like a 1973 Eldorado. I have NVH (noise, vibration, handling) that must be cured by tomorrow afternoon or I will go Jedi on someone. I will.
    This time, don't let others do the install drunk...
    LOL!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    This time, don't let others do the install drunk...
    LOL!
    Dude I plan on being drunk today during the install! I need to be for two reasons. One, I don't wanna even know how many times this adds up to for this procedure on my car. Two, my knees, back and shoulders are shot from building an 18x15' paver patio the past three days.

My Cars
    02 540i 6MT
    good luck dude, may the force be with you.

and btw, b5'er wasn't drinking last time, I was.. he embibed afterwards.

ps - maybe he should have..
    Last edited by kerryb; 04-29-2009 at 09:22 AM.

My Cars
    2003 525i

NOW my car is ready for teh new Star Trek movie!

How could I pull into the movie theater whilst three of four struts functioning? Answer? I couldn't. And now I won't. Shields up, fire photon torpedos.

I took the front struts out today. The driver's side spring was wacked out and not sitting properly.

Results:

1). No more noise/vibration/handling issues.
    2). The spring, which was stuck, can now move freely up and down.
    3). The driver's side strut...during the initial install three weeks ago, we could not get the strut all the way down into the carrier (the passenger side was lower). Now? Both struts are one finger width above control arm balljoint.
    4). I learned, after 42 minutes and 10 attempts, that it's CRUCIAL to have the spring sitting in the spring compressor JUST RIGHT. Needing to compress the OEM Sport Springs a great amount...IF the spring is not set up in the spring compressor properly...during the last inch of compression, the spring will bend sideways, the upper perch drops on one side and you're left with a scenario whereby the strut CAN fit in there...but it will not work in the car 100%.

Solution? Ideally you'd have the lowest tang/aka arm of the spring compressor grabbing the spring at the lowest point of the spring...but you obviously can't do that. So, set the spring so it's bitter end is at 1 o'clock against the wall (standing in front of it your belt buckle would be 6 o'clock)...place the lowest tang/arm of the compressor at 12 o'clock. Then set the next tang/arm of the compressor on the next coil up, at 8 o'clock and the last tang/arm on the other side at the next coil up at 4 o'clock. The 2 fixed arms/tangs up top obviously operate at 3 and 9 o'clock. Place the upper perch on and....presto...the spring WILL NOW compress naturally, equally, fully and perfectly.

The first spring took me 45 minutes, the next one took three minutes.

It was frustrating...having to compress the spring so much that it would kink/give way. An iced tea break and some mental focus (aka The Force) and I was able to install both struts with new, OEM Sachs mounts (which look totally different than the OEM ones I see others use which I believe are made by Meyele). Now my FSD's ROCK. I dedicate one of the cheesiest, but most listened-to 80's songs to my FSD's. The suspension now rocks:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBM-xGc-Vo4&feature=PlayList&p=C7DB305F1C973D55&playnext=1 &playnext_from=PL&index=10[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko1YIxIBbVY[/ame]
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 04-29-2009 at 11:04 PM.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    Star Trek and the Force in one fell post. Interesting.

Glad to hear you can make it to the movie finally. IIRC, my H&R Sport springs in front are actually quite loose. I needed no compressor to install them. Crazy, eh?

Nice work.

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Quote Originally Posted by cdb3113 View Post
    Star Trek and the Force in one fell post. Interesting.

Glad to hear you can make it to the movie finally. IIRC, my H&R Sport springs in front are actually quite loose. I needed no compressor to install them. Crazy, eh?

Nice work.
    Interesting. I had to compress mine a good bit in order to get the strut mount on, but not nearly as much as the oem sport spring. Of course, the difference might have something to do between the I6 and V8 models.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
    Interesting. I had to compress mine a good bit in order to get the strut mount on, but not nearly as much as the oem sport spring. Of course, the difference might have something to do between the I6 and V8 models.
    The difference could well be the strut you used as well. Bilstein, right?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast