Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Mount DIY

My Cars
    01 S54 Roadster

Transmission Mount DIY

Transmission mount DIY:

Reason:
    BMW uses soft/compliant material in many of their bushings, including their transmission mounts. This provides for a more comfortable driving experience, but is unsatisfactory for optimal performance.

Tools:
    Jack (to support transmission)
    13mm socket ratchet (transmission mount nuts)
    13mm wrench (transmission mount nuts)
    8 & 10mm wrench/socket (belly shield)

Parts:
    New Transmission Mounts (2) ex: UUC, Rogue Engineering

1) Elevate vehicle for access to underside of car.
    2) Remove protective belly shield (~twelve 8mm screws and two 10mm screws at the front). You need to do this for the next step.
    3) Support rear of transmission with jack

Guibo-tranny mount DIY 020.jpg
    (rear of transmission supported by jack)

4) Loosen 13mm nuts on top of mounts with wrench (too tight for a socket), then loosen bottom nuts with 13mm socket.

Guibo-tranny mount DIY 003.jpg
    (top nuts of each tranny mount visible)

5) Remove Transmission brace by loosening and removing four 13mm bolts.

Guibo-tranny mount DIY 009.jpg
    (brace removed - mounts still attached)

Guibo-tranny mount DIY 013.jpg
    (mounts chewed up, but not as damaged as I had thought)

Titanium 01 M Roadster - Sharked, 3.73 diff, CDV delete, IE SF bushings, RE RSMs, Tranny mounts, and clutch stop, SS brake lines, Eisenmann Exhaust, Mason Strut Bar, TC Kline SA Coilovers with Vorshlag camber plates...
    Other vehicles - Black 03 Mercedes E320/ 2008 Toyota Platinum Sequioa / 23ft Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler/ 2 Honda Quads

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Book marked. . .

what mounts did you go with?

My Cars
    01 S54 Roadster

Transmission Mount DIY

6) Install new mounts, leaving nuts loose. Note, insert notch on mount into nub on brace.

Guibo-tranny mount DIY 008.jpg
    (New mounts!)

Guibo-tranny mount DIY 014.jpg
    (Notice the nub in the brace and notch in the mount).

Guibo-tranny mount DIY 015.jpg
    (New mounts installed on brace).

7) Install transmission mount brace, but do not tighten bolts yet. Remove jack, then tighten brace bolts to 16ft lbs.

8) Now, tighten transmission mount nuts to 15ft lbs. Be careful to not overtighten.

Guibo-tranny mount DIY 024.jpg
    (brace with new mounts installed)
    Last edited by willscam; 09-12-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Titanium 01 M Roadster - Sharked, 3.73 diff, CDV delete, IE SF bushings, RE RSMs, Tranny mounts, and clutch stop, SS brake lines, Eisenmann Exhaust, Mason Strut Bar, TC Kline SA Coilovers with Vorshlag camber plates...
    Other vehicles - Black 03 Mercedes E320/ 2008 Toyota Platinum Sequioa / 23ft Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler/ 2 Honda Quads

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    oh, sorry i was a pre-poster

My Cars
    01 S54 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kredz3 View Post
    Book marked. . .

what mounts did you go with?
    I ended up going with Rogue Engineering. UUC also has good mounts; black (neoprene) and red (urethane). The red could cause some vibration, though. I chose Rogue b/c I ordered their rear shock mounts at the same time. They also were recommended by some forum members.

My Cars
    E36/8
    Great post, looks like a simple job.
    Might do this aswell during the winter storage.
    AC Schnitzer beyond the standard

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    very interested in your thoughts after you drive it around

ECIS Intake:M50 Manifold:Supersprint:Bilstein/H&R Sport:RE RSM:WSM:MZ3 Front Bumper:3.73 LSD
    Waiting List: IE Bushings

My Cars
    e30, e46, Super Duty
    I'm glad to see the Z3 forum getting some useful posts once again
    1991 e30 318is Slicktop - Gone
    1996 LS1 Z3 - Gone
    99 e46 323i - Gone
    2003 e46 xiT - Hers
    2014 F-250 CC- Mostly stock

My Cars
    01 S54 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by blcmn View Post
    Great post, looks like a simple job.
    Might do this aswell during the winter storage.
    It is a simple procedure. I like to post a DIY after I've researched a project and can't find a good write up or one with illustrative pictures. I've found this forum to be such a wealth of information that this is my attempt to give back a little.

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    When someone does this job, remember to torque properly. When I put my IE tranny mounts in, I accidentally overtorqued them. They didn't fail, but caused a nasty vibration until I got back under and retorqued them properly, and it went away.
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Nice DIY writeup.
    -Joe

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    +1 for this mod... Simple, cheap, and a nice improvement! Should definitely do the CDV delete while you're down there

My Cars
    01 S54 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by raubritter View Post
    +1 for this mod... Simple, cheap, and a nice improvement! Should definitely do the CDV delete while you're down there
    I was waiting to do the CDV when I change my brakes and do a brake and clutch flush. I also wanted to separate the projects to see what changes I notice after each one. So far with the transmission mounts (and I don't know how much of this is placebo effect), my shifts feel smoother and more precise. Also, previously I'd occasionally have some difficulty getting the car into 1st gear from neutral, haven't had that issue since the upgrade. Again, don't know if there's truly a relationship there or not.
    Last edited by willscam; 09-14-2007 at 01:36 AM. Reason: sp

My Cars
    01 M Roadster, 92 Talon AWD
    Very nice write up! I am going to have to put this on the to-do list, since I am not very happy with the way my M shifts. Thanks.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by BenH View Post
    doesn't look like there is a lot of room to fit a torque wrench in there to tighten the nuts to the tranny mounts. will my 1/2 drive Craftsman TW fit in there?
    My 1/4" drive Armstrong does...

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    My 1/4" drive Armstrong does...

Removing the Guibo is cheating.

I had to use my inch-lb torque wrench to get in there with the Guibo in place. The head was small enough to fit.

My Cars
    Z3
    I just installed the red ones and there is a little vibration when revs fall back through 3500 but once you drive for a while it feels good, I am cornering so hard on the track I was having trouble with the 3-2 downshift from the Gs pushing the Trans over. Between this upgrade and the d4 fluid change My car has never run so good.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    FYI - there are some additional photos here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=939218

My Cars
    99' Z3, 11' STI, Ruckus
    Great write up thank you! I am wondering if by doing this modification it would negatively effect the motor mounts. The way that I see it is that there are 4 points of contact for the motor and transmission to the chassis: 2 motor mounts and 2 transmission mounts. If you stiffen the transmission mounts wouldn't it put more strain or flex on the motor mounts and visa-versa? I really want to do this mod, but am worried about the negative effect that I see. Someone please prove me wrong!

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Quote Originally Posted by The ZED View Post
    Great write up thank you! I am wondering if by doing this modification it would negatively effect the motor mounts. The way that I see it is that there are 4 points of contact for the motor and transmission to the chassis: 2 motor mounts and 2 transmission mounts. If you stiffen the transmission mounts wouldn't it put more strain or flex on the motor mounts and visa-versa? I really want to do this mod, but am worried about the negative effect that I see. Someone please prove me wrong!
    If you're worried, just replace the motor mounts along with the tranny mounts.

Once I figure out exactly how to do the motor mount swap, I'll order the ones from UUC.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Were you able to do this without removing the exhaust pipes and heatshield on the passenger side? I got under there yesterday to swap the transmission fluid and I noticed the bolts on that side are pretty well blocked.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Quote Originally Posted by EganM View Post
    FYI - there are some additional photos here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=939218
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    Were you able to do this without removing the exhaust pipes and heatshield on the passenger side? I got under there yesterday to swap the transmission fluid and I noticed the bolts on that side are pretty well blocked.
    See the link above. I pulled the exhaust pipes off to make my life easier. From what I remember it was damn near impossible to get at the tranny mount on that side without taking the exhaust off.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    See the link above. I pulled the exhaust pipes off to make my life easier. From what I remember it was damn near impossible to get at the tranny mount on that side without taking the exhaust off.
    Is this an S54 quirk? It was easy to do on my last coupe with the S52...

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    Is this an S54 quirk? It was easy to do on my last coupe with the S52...
    Possibly.

You can see from this pic that you can't get to the bolts to get the crossmember down with the pipes in place.

At least that's how I remember it. I'd go look, but the car's been at BMW for the last 2.5 weeks with a leaking headgasket cause by a manufacturing defect in the timing chain cover. Hopefully I'll get her back Friday.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    That's pretty annoying. Tranny Mounts were a breeze in the S52 coupe.
    Possibly.

You can see from this pic that you can't get to the bolts to get the crossmember down with the pipes in place.

At least that's how I remember it. I'd go look, but the car's been at BMW for the last 2.5 weeks with a leaking headgasket cause by a manufacturing defect in the timing chain cover. Hopefully I'll get her back Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast