Thread: m42 or m44 engine swap

My Cars
    1974 2002tii

m42 or m44 engine swap

Is there some reason nobody puts the 4-valve twin cam 1.8 or 1.9 liter motors from the later BMWs in the 2002s? I've seen discusions on the s14 and m20 motor swaps mut not on the above and was just wondering why. These motors should be readily available and relatively cheap.
    Thanks, Steve.

My Cars
    several
    Lots of engineering to get it in there. there is one or two around. A couple of shops I know are working on this swap. When someone figures it out, I am there!

My Cars
    74 2002, 72tii
    I think 'skipsfcr' has a project blog up on 02faq about one hes doing
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1090578

72tii - Whitey
    74 - Blacky (resto)

My Cars
    1974 2002tii
    Two questions: Where is the 02FAQ tommozza refers to? I tried searching the FAQ section and could not find anything (actually, I couldn't get any matches even entering common words like 'engine' and 'oil' which seems odd - these words should appear in the text somewhere I would think).

And, is the engineering involved related to physically installing the engine/trans or in the electrical/electronic part of the conversion? I would think (without having physically measured anything) if the s14 engine fits then the m42/m44 engine should also fit. Am I missing something here?

I'm new here, as you can tell by my profile, so please bear with me.

Thanks again, Steve.

My Cars
    F30 (02tiE30E34E55E46)
    Its a wiring thing, the newer engines are more complicated and so I think that is one of the best reasons you wont see many. I have always loved the S14 and thought that if I ever did decide to pull out my motor that I would stick an S14 in my car, there is just somthing about the sound it makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog68 View Post
    The day I find my E30 M3 will be the day that all is well in my world. I will see her and smile, then she'll smile because she knows!

My Cars
    several
    It is an incredible car to drive with an S 14. I had a muffler mishap last fall on a group drive. My car sounded like an F1. I am quite sure the guy driving the AMG slk looked twice in his mirro when he dared pass our group, only to have a 34 year old car with a louder engine that he had sticking the nose up his ass!

My Cars
    '70 2002
    You can get the same amount of power that an M42 makes with a few upgrades to the M10

My Cars
    09 335
    Wiring isnt the issue, thats easily solvable(sp). S14 swaps are easier because they resemble an M10, m4x are totally different designs.

My Cars
    74 2002, 72tii
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1090578

72tii - Whitey
    74 - Blacky (resto)

My Cars
    2002, 912, 530i, X5 35d
    I think the main problem is the sump. Is that correct? Then it's just like an M-20 swap I think (same tranny?). The M-42 is OBD1 and the M-44 is OBD2. I think this makes the M-42 more mod friendly. It is a wonderful motor. But as Michael said, an M-10 with a few mods will make the same power.

John
    It will always be better to be shot out of a cannon than to be squeezed out of a tube.