Thread: Convertible top cover shocks

My Cars
    E30 Vert, F30 Sedan

Convertible top cover shocks

Okay, searched around to no avail...probably a stupid question anyway...

Has anyone replaced the small shocks that hold the convertible top cover up (the door that the top stores under)? I ordered a set from Pelican Parts, got my old ones off, but can't for the life of me get the new ones to compress!!! Did I get a bad set or am I forgetting some basic tenet of shock replacement?

I can't get the new ones on the mounting points without compressing them about 1/16", but seriously, I can't get them to move.

My Cars
    99 M3, 90 535iA, 89 325is
    You just need to compress them a little to get them on the stud. I did mine years ago and I don't remember doing anything special.
    bmwpower / bmwcca 147895 / 05 X5 / 99 M3 / 90 535i / 89 325is track project

My Cars
    e30, X3, Z3... K1100rs
    Can't you "overextend" the travel of the top cover lid slightly enough to put the pins in without compressing them? Especially if that is all you need to go?

I am not really familiar with the top lid, but I was able to do my trunk and engine hood that way.

Remember: Your life can be extinguished in ONE stupid moment. No one is invincible....

My Cars
    08 650i 08 128i 02 325ci
    They are a bitch. I just hooked the bottom up, put a wrench in the top of the strut and pushed HARD to compress it enough to hook it on the top.

My Cars
    E30 Vert, F30 Sedan
    Thanks all - I finally did get it to compress outside of the car, and cycled it a few times to be sure that it is going to mount in there. Will be trying to get them both installed later this evening. They do suck, but I will be happy to have a hand free when opening the top again.

My Cars
    95 5er, 86 3er
    Glad to see someone asked about this. I've had the same trouble with mine. It's definitely something that I need to do. Man, to think I have never had the privilege to open the parade cover without having to hold it there. Just one of those things you learn to live with, I suppose.

My Cars
    E30 Vert, F30 Sedan
    Much easier once I got the shocks to move a bit. One note - expect to replace all four retaining clips (none shipped with the shocks from Pelican). Given their age it's highly likely that they will break or at least stretch when you pop them off. None off mine were salvageable.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325iC
    Big C-Clamp - compress until they fit over the studs, slide in place, undo C-Clamp.
    Aaron

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i convertible (E30)
    Just did this this weekend on 89 325. Helpful tip: Mount the gas spring to the body first then slightly overextend the cover to engage the top of the shock. There is enough "play" in the cover hinge to allow this. Also, mount the shocks "rod end down" (i.e. the cylinder end of the gas spring should be mounted to the cover). This makes sure the gasket that seals the rod entry into the cylinder stays lubricated which prolongs the spring life. Once you get a leak through the gasket, bye bye spring.

Yea, and the e-rings fold up like a rented mule when forced. Be gentle.

My Cars
    1994 Red Mustang Vert, 1988 Red BMW Vert
    I am so happy I replaced mine. Putting the top up or down was always a two person job. Now I can do it all by myself witout proping the boot up with anything. Money well spent (even though originally I didnt think it was)

Diving Board Supporter - Show Off That Bling!

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325ic
    just purchased the stabiles strut. There are none on my E30ic, should I have purchased 2? Also, what clips do I need to purchase?
    Rick

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Yes, there are two. I just did this. For clips, realOEM is your friend.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=54_0146

However I recommend going to the main page and entering your VIN to make sure you get the diagram and parts that are specific to your car since some things tended to change over the course of the model years. Probably not this, but best to be safe and make sure you get the right parts.

You will be very happy when you get this done, and will probably be kicking yourself like me for not doing it sooner if you've been waiting to do it!
    Last edited by sienayr; 12-01-2016 at 10:59 AM.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325ic
    Thanks for the link to realoem. What a great resource.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i Convertibl
    I know this post is old but referred to it today to help me. I got even more concerned when saw men were having trouble with compressing the strut to attach to the knobs. By mistake I found that if I do the bottom then rest the knob on the top onto the tube of the strut and lower lid, it will compress the strut. I let it sit half way for a couple of minutes and went on much easier. Happy mistake but glad I discovered it.

My Cars
    1988 325i Convertible
    leahjm, thanks for the info...I'm planning to tackle this strut job this week. Might be hitting you up for additional assistance. A few folks mentioned they also need new retaining clips...I did not order those....did you need new ones? Thanks....

My Cars
    1987 325i convertible
    Good advice! I’m doing mine this week too. Sure hope I don’t need clips as I can’t find them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1988 325i Convertible
    Did folks eliminate the strut cover? The Stabilus strut is slightly rounded on the end & it doesn’t fit the original strut cover...I’ll guessing I could just remove. Curious what others did. Tried to attached picture, but can’t figure it out. Thanks...

My Cars
    1987 325i convertible
    Yes I did, only had one anyway. I had no problems installing mine.. a little hard trying to get the little round clips back on. It’s so nice now as I did the trunk and the hood too. I’ve forgotten how long I’ve had to hold those up all these years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk