Thread: e36 m50 injectors on e30 m20 ???

My Cars
    1998 BMW e38

e36 m50 injectors on e30 m20 ???

I have some e36 injectors 2.0l in verry good condition and I whant to put them on me m20 2.0l e30 engine do they work ??
    Last edited by spider2077; 03-06-2010 at 04:21 AM.

My Cars
    '89 325, '91 325is

M50 injectors

They would fit and be compatible, yes, but I wouldn't suggest putting them on an engine that small ESPECIALLY if it's stock. Adding more fuel without adding more air will make your engine run worse. I'm unsure if the 2.0L M20 has the same injectors as the 2.5L M20 (15# i believe), but the 2.5's injectors supply plenty to a stock engine.
    I recently built a 2.7L M20 "stroker" thing with a 275º cam, CAI (no forced induction) and the M50's 17# injectors work great; if I went bigger than that I'd probably have problems.

A naturally aspirated 2.0L M20 would probably not benefit with heftier injectors- given I don't know your setup- my first mod recommendations are a single mass flywheel, MAF conversion and sport headers. the M20's stock exhaust is atrocious.

[EDIT]>> I didn't see that they were from a 2.0L M50; DmcL is right, raising the fuel pressure would help them flow correctly, and 4 pintle has better atomization; you would ideally want an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a custom-burnt chip (which may still leave some bugs to iron out). The chip alone can run you upwards of $300, adj. FPRs are like $80-120... I'd say not worth it for a stock engine.
    Last edited by Helion42; 11-03-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: correction

My Cars
    E30 325i Coupe
    ive done nearly what ur talking about. im running 2.5 M50 injectors in my 2.5 M20. they did require some tuning to get the best out of them (ie-a custom chip). i also noticed they did work ok before i started tuning it with just adjusting the toothed wheel inside of the AFM by a couple teeth tighter to help lean it out a little. wont have much effect on leaning it out at full throttle tho but its better than nothing.

im not sure if the 2.0 M50 injectors flow more than the stock 2.0 M20 injectors or not without altering fuel pressure on the M20. as far as i know the 2.0 M20 uses the same injectors as the 2.5 but has a 2.5 bar fuel pressure regulator whereas the 2.5 has a 3.0 bar regulator which means more pressure and more fuel flow. the M50 injectors run at 3.5 bar on the M50 so u might find that running them at 2.5 bar will give less flow than the stock M20 injectors. without working it out im pretty sure if that was the case u could just drop in a 2.5 M20's 3 bar regulator which would probably get the flow up a little over stock with the M50 injectors and might be usable/drivable with that setup and some adjustment to the AFM.

one thing tho.. even if it does work using the M50 injectors, a 3 bar regulator and adjusting the AFM it wont run great some of the time, might run like crap before it warms up and hesitate slightly under quick throttle input, etc, etc. when i tuned for the 2.5 M50 injectors im running i didnt really have to trim the fuelling back but i did have to tweak some injector related maps to get it to run good all over and have quick response, i think actually a little quicker than standard even but im putting that down the M50 injectors being 4 pintle and the benefits of using 4 pintle over single.
    Last edited by DmcL; 11-03-2010 at 09:41 PM.

- My E30: Project 325i

- WMMotorsports.co.uk