Thread: Question for those with rollbars in street/track cars...

My Cars
    BMW 330is, Galant VR-4

Question for those with rollbars in street/track cars...

I'm looking at putting a roll bar in my 325is and had a question about where the bar sits in relation to the b pillars? Will it be just behind the b pillars or closer to even with them?

Does the support piece that goes back to the rear wheel well block much of the window or does it stay mostly out of the way?

Also, anyone remove the back seats and replace with carpet? Any of you guys have any pics of this? I want to do this when I put the bar in since I'll be removing the seats anyway.

Thanks in advance!

-Saint
    '93 BMW 330is - For Sale! PM or e-mail if interested
    '92 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    Saint -

If you find a place to do it, see if the price is better if they do TWO cars. I would definitely be interested for the right price.

I know HMS motorsports sells one for $650.00 (I forget if it's bolt in or welded in).

Pm/email Sunir, he could probably answer your questions. I can't seem to remember where the bar sat in relation to the b-pillars. The support piece doesn't seem to block the windows. I do remember he left it uncarpeted.

Are you considering bolt-in or weld-in? It seems weld-in right?

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.3, 07 328ix, Gone- 00 528i, 90 325ic

Rollbar

Here is an install of an AutoPower 4pt with cross brace-

http://www.ioportracing.com/instruct...m3-rollbar.htm

I have one of these on order from daveturner.com, should be here any day now...

My Cars
    BMW 330is, Galant VR-4
    The HMS one is bolt-in, which is what I was thinking cause I may try to do it myself... Not sure though.. If I put some quotes together I'll see about multi-car discounts. :

Initially I was going to go Autopower, maybe from IOport Racing, but after reading all the threads I don't know. The autopower has the best price, but how important is that?

Hmm... Also, I think I read that the HMS ones are hard to come by since they make them in-house (wait list). The other option is the DAS bar from ECIs, but it's 695 plus shipping... :

-Saint

My Cars
    BMW 330is, Galant VR-4
    Good link, thanks Matt!

-Saint

My Cars
    '98 M3
    HMS doesn't make the bars in house. However, if they've sold out of their initial run, you'd have to wait for them to get them back in stock.

I'm probably going to have them install one for me before I move from the area in a year or so.
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    I was looking at the autopower one as well; but, isn't it basically the same price as the hms one?

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...ory_Code=AP901

don't you need the one that is the bolt-in roll cage?

The only problem, installation looks like a bitch; maybe not.

My Cars
    BMW 330is, Galant VR-4
    I was looking at the Autopower Race roll bar (http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant..... ) probably with both options, which is like $380. And even with allowing $150 for shipping is only $530, about $165 less than the DAS bar from ECIS without shipping...

-Saint

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    The Autopower bar is fine. I have one. You really don't have to spend the extra money unless you really want to. Mine is in a 4-door E36 M3.
    Blue 2002 540i/6
    Former Arctic Silver 1998 M3 Track Car
    Shopping for new track car!

My Cars
    BMW 330is, Galant VR-4
    M3inSc, did you install the bar yourself or did you have it done? Also, do you have the cross (diaganol) brace and harness bar installed?

Thanks!

-Saint

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    Hmm...Saint, we could split shipping maybe, and I could have a friend look into it (he's a merchant) if you are serious about it. So, we could ship it to a business address.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...ory_Code=AP901

Is there any compromise in structural rigidity having a removable cross-brace? Is the cross-brace something you would recommend M3sc???

P.S. -- I have a business address we can ship it to in Gaithersburg, MD.
    Last edited by NoSoup4U; 03-14-2003 at 12:32 PM.

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    I just received an email from Ken Myers at Ioport... and this is what he said,

The shipping on 2 roll bars will be about the same as 1. Allow $100-$140 truck freight collect to a business address.
    Thus, if you are interested, we could split shipping costs. Let me know.

P.S. - It took some hunting; but, I found a closeup picture if you wanted to know what it would look like. This one has the removeable X-bar and the harness bar as you can see.

http://eurotuner.com/eurotuner/featu...mage_small.jpg

http://eurotuner.com/featuredvehicles/99763/ -- if you go here, scroll down, and you can make the picture REALLY big to see it up close!

Last edited by NoSoup4U; 03-14-2003 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I'd definately get the crossbrace. Otherwise the rollbar is nowhere near as effective. I had an autopower with the removable crossbrace and it was fine. Bear in mind it's not really helpful to remove it, as you should *never* carry passengers in the back seat once you install a rollbar.

From what I've heard, the TC Kline/HMS rollbar fits much better as compared to the autopower bar...

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    Damn Doc -

You are making me rethink my strategy now. Well, I would not be carrying backseat passengers, not human anyways. I was thinking more in lines of my pets (2 dogs). Thus, I want them to be comfortable in the rear seat, or at least, have access to it.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Well, since you can't really belt your dogs into the car anyways, I wouldn't worry too much about them being back there with the rollbar. Go ahead and get the removable crossbrace, that'll dramatically increase back seat accessibility from inside the car.

I'm torn about the rollbar, as I really want one for safety and I'm also local to HMS so I wouldn't have to pay shipping and can have them install it. However, even though I rarely carry people in the back seat, eventually I'm going to want to put a baby seat back there and I'm not too comfortable with the idea of a little one in the seat back there with the rollbar in place...

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    so once u install a rollbar isnt it dangerous to drive it on the street, coz if u get into a crash and ur head can hit the roll bar ?? or is there lotsa clearance for ur head in case of a street crash. I know that on the track u have a helmet and in that case ur ok.

any thoughts ????

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Well, you should have the rollbar wrapped with padding. If your stock seat broke off the mounts or the back broke so you could move backwards, you could potentially hit the bar...

My Cars
    No car at the moment
    yeah i was thinking of bolting in a rollbar from like ecis or hms and using it on the street .. does it come just black ?? how hard is in the install .. anyone running a bolt in and drive their car everyday ?? not just on the track .. thanks

My Cars
    BMW 330is, Galant VR-4
    James (noSoup4U): Great research man! I would definitely be interested in splitting some shipping, I just don't have a definite purchase date yet (probably not till early april)... Also, were you thinking of getting it installed by a mech or doing it yourself?

Doc: I completely agree with the pading. Depending on how it fits I'm probably going to pad the top, the upper half of the sides, etc (again depending of fit). That should be a fairly simple task. I know a couple of places that sell the padding fairly cheaply pre-cut down one side for install. I'm also not worried about back seat passengers since I'm pulling out the seat anyway.

Evo: Looks like you can only order it in black, or with out paint (at least from IOport) but you can always have it powdercoated or use colored padding..

-Saint

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Originally posted by Saint
    M3inSc, did you install the bar yourself or did you have it done? Also, do you have the cross (diaganol) brace and harness bar installed?

Thanks!

-Saint
    I have the removeable crossbrace and the harness bar. I installed it myself. Had no problems, but be carefull drilling all the holes and do a better job cutting your carpet than I did. I also had a slot cut in the side of my back seat for the bar to fit through.

Don't believe it when people say they "heard" that the Autopower does not fit well. It fits fine.

So its kind of like, if you want to spend the extra money, you can... but you really don't have to.
    Blue 2002 540i/6
    Former Arctic Silver 1998 M3 Track Car
    Shopping for new track car!