Thread: New UUC Stage II Clutch/Fly Setup Questions

My Cars
    FredK is my chauffeur

New UUC Stage II Clutch/Fly Setup Installed .. 2 questions

I just had the UUC Stage II 8.5lb Flywheel and M5 Clutch Setup put into my car like two days ago and had the CDV Delete done as well. First off, wow it's fun.

I have two questions though:
    1) I have no problem getting into first, but I did notice that if I try to do it gently (like to get into a slow roll) for a short part of the pedal right before fully engaging the car is very shakey. It's almost like its trying to decide whether or not it supposed to clamp or not.
    2) I smell the clutch a LOT. I will notice the burning clutch scent during and after both local drives, as well as highway halls.

I only have about 150 miles on the setup so far, and I know there is a break in period. I was just wondering if both of these symptoms are normal during the breakin and will go away once the clutch is a little more used.

My Cars
    95 bmw m3 49k miles
    I have a bimmerworld lightweight flywheel. I had similar issues untill it fully broke in. For #1) I'm not sure if it was the clutch breaking in, or me learning how to clutch differently with the new flywheel.

For me, those whent away once the clutch broke in and I learned how to work the new clutch....

My Cars
    98 M3 vert
    Brand new flywheel and pressure plate? You shouldn't be smelling much of anything. I'd be asking myself...Did any oil or grease get on mating surfaces? Is the clutch fully engaged (not binding) etc? Makes you wish the lower bellhousing had an inspection cover... Ask the UUC guys for advice, but I'd double check everything right now. Stupid question... you don't rest your foot on the clutch pedal do you? They recommend installing a 325i slave cylinder to keep clutch feel as with M3 clutch. Maybe there's more to that. The M5 clutch plate has spring dampers built in - that could be what you feel as you ease into full engagment. If the pedal feels light, maybe you're going to have to adjust your clutching speed. But if you're just cruising up and down hills on the hwy and smell the clutch, something is wrong. Check for a stuck brake caliper too. Please let us know what you find.
    Last edited by wingnut1961; 09-07-2007 at 01:53 PM.

My Cars
    Z4M Coupe
    Yes it will. I have the same exact setup.

Give it about 500 miles for the break-in. The shaky part is probably because you'll have to get used to giving the car more gas to get it moving due to the reduced mass of the lightweight flywheel

I'm not sure about the burning smell, I don't get that unless I slip the clutch more than necessary

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    100% normal, both symptoms will disappear when fully broken in after 500-750 miles.

Most clutches have a distinct smell when brand-new... as you would expect, you're heat-seating a new friction surface.
    ----------
    NOT with that company any more.