Thread: The joys of a new bearing

My Cars
    1990 325i, 2 dr, 5spd.

Smile The joys of a new bearing

Just had my rear wheel bearing replaced and WOW. It's unbelievable how much noise and vibration those things can cause when the go to shit. Cost was $142.00 CDN (stealership quoted $330.00!!!!) by an awesome mechanic in my area.

It's amazing how quiet my car sounds now. I've been driving with that bad bearing for a year now (since I bought it) so I've never known what the car sounded like without that racket. I'm a happy guy.

Next week, new fuel pump. Otto (the mechanic) promises it will feel like a new car.

My Cars
    1989 E30 325i , E34 520i
    which bearing, the one that holds the propeller shaft near the differential?

you can stand the sound of it?
    man it was shimming, scratching and screeching for my case last month for 1 week till i changed it.

i thought i was some brake problems cos most of the time it sounds when i was slowing down

My Cars
    1990 325i, 2 dr, 5spd.
    No, it was the wheel bearing. It made this kind of helicopter sound which grew worse when I turned corners. It also caused bad vibration at highway speeds.

My old fix was to crank the radio. Now the noise is gone and I can hear all the other little noises my car makes. Oh well.

My Cars
    87 325is
    Rexversusu, where did you go to get the bearing replaced?

My Cars
    1990 325i, 2 dr, 5spd.
    Euro Otto Sport Inc.

The main mechanic is Otto Hotz (a rough-spoken German dude).

604-941-1466
    Unit 4 - 1610 Langan Ave.
    Port Coquitlam

This guy is pretty good. He came highly recommeded to me by some VW fanatic friends whom he has done some excellent work for (he likes cash!).

I've seen a number of Porsches in his shop, many from Washington State - quite a drive to get work done on your car. Seems his reputation is rather far reaching.

My Cars
    87 325is
    Thanks, I'll check em out

My Cars
    99 540i Touring
    Yep, Otto's rep is definitely spreading... I got his phone number in Calgary from the Mopar shop.

I have to call him to see if he has some parts for my little beasties.

My Cars
    1990 325i, 2 dr, 5spd.
    Otto's replacing my fuel pump as I type this. Saving about $175 over the stearlership (yes, it's a Bosch pump).

My Cars
    91 318is
    Whoa you guys are from vancouver! Nice hehe. You guys on e30sport.net by any chance? If not join!! You guys going to the april 12 meet at sfu?

My Cars
    1990 325i, 2 dr, 5spd.
    I'm not going to the meet. I gotta work Saturdays 8am to 8 pm. Too bad, cuz I'd like to go.

I'll check out e30sport.net, as well.

My Cars
    87 325is
    just joined at e30sport.net, can't go to the meet though cause I'm going to school in maine, and won't be back to vancouver till may

My Cars
    91 318is
    See you around e30sport . I think some vancouver people would like to get an e30 get together sometime since there are a few e30's from vancouver on there.