Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help!! can't remove ignition lock cylinder

My Cars
    332ti

help!! can't remove ignition lock cylinder

Hi,

I've removed the ring antenna and I put my key into the first click and stick a stiff wire into the little hole, and nothing happens. Nothing releases. How far is this thing supposed to go in? Am I doing something wrong? I've played with it for like 3 hours now... do I have any other options? I can destroy anything necessary but I need this cylinder out.

Thanks

My Cars
    95 z28
    did you get the security bolts out???

My Cars
    332ti
    No--what are the security bolts? I didn't see anything like that.

Thanks

My Cars
    08 BMW 335xi saloon
    my ignition tumbler just locked up a couple weeks ago. the guy at the shop told me he couldn't get it out so i had to buy the steering lock also since he couldn't get the old tumbler out of the old steering lock. that ran me like $550 for parts and labor, just to get my key to turn again. i was heated about that so my point is you might need to get a new steering lock if your tumbler is bad and the key won't turn to get it out

My Cars
    332ti
    that's really hard to believe that I can't get it out. I don't know how this would break. I guess I'll keep trying.

My Cars
    328i
    i just had mine fixed -__- cost me 375. 125 for the sourunding that holds the ignition 13 dollars for the 2 security bolts and another 100 something for the cylinder + labor

It was gona be like 4-5 hundred but i geuss they felt bad for keeping my car for like a month

My Cars
    1996 328is
    Try bending you wire so that is has a very slight bump on the end. The wire has to be about the size of one of the larger paperclips or even slightly larger. If you are replacing the tumbler play with the new one and see if you can get the retainer to release, that way you can see if your wire is working.

My Cars
    Many in the worshop.
    looks like this
    The church is close, but the road is icy, The pub is far, but i will walk carefully

My Cars
    1989 325i
    Are you just trying to get the ignition core out?

Here's how I did it...

turn key to off,
    slide in STRONG wire,
    turn untill you feel a snag, at this point you should be able to slide the wire in further,
    for the wire in, and pull at the same time with the key.
    Mine came out after about an hour's worth of playing with it...

If your removing the ignition assembly, you need to use a chizzel to rotate the two "stud" looking bolts...

'92 325is 5sp

My Cars
    318ic, buick regal
    My cylinder just spins freely so its impossible to tell where off is, now what?!!

My Cars
    '88 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by pgallagh123 View Post
    Hi,

I've removed the ring antenna and I put my key into the first click and stick a stiff wire into the little hole, and nothing happens. Nothing releases. How far is this thing supposed to go in? Am I doing something wrong? I've played with it for like 3 hours now... do I have any other options? I can destroy anything necessary but I need this cylinder out.

Thanks
    Are you replacing the tumbler? If so, I found that practicing on the new one will help. Also, squirt some spray lube into the old tumbler to help loosen it up.

The key has to be at about the 2 o'clock position for the little hole to be in the correct place. You may have to push your wire hard, so the wire needs to be stiff. A paper clip won't work. I had to grind down a piece of wire that was like wire from a coat hanger.

Keep trying. No reason to spend hundreds of dollars having someone cut the security bolts and all that. Here's a thread with pics:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=379874

My Cars
    bmw318ti bmw528i

ignition tumbler/ 318ti?

1997 bmw tumbler dont spins but car steering wheel want unlock want is the problem? Car even crank up, is it the lock assembly cylinder or the ignition?

My Cars
    2016 340i
    Find a stiff wire as large as possible that will fit in the hole. Put a small kink in the very end, maybe 2mm, set the switch at the correct position, and push the wired strait in. Try a few times and it should come out.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    theres a really great vid for this on youtube. i watched it 2-3 times and had the lock cylinder out in under 5 minutes. you dont just stick the wire in. you turn it with the key and it releases a tab that allows the cylinder to fall out.

My Cars
    E36TRBO,01m3 S/C,others
    theres a piece at the end of the dogbone looking piece that looks like a 2 prong fork and that is the lock unlock mechanism for the steering lockout

My Cars
    99M3
    Quote Originally Posted by crazeetowntatto View Post
    theres a piece at the end of the dogbone looking piece that looks like a 2 prong fork and that is the lock unlock mechanism for the steering lockout
    What side?
    OBD I manifold,conforti software,CAI, Koni suspension, Rogue SSK, X-TEC HIDs, Gen.III exhaust,DPEs

My Cars
    '96 328i, '97 328i
    If all else fails use a large drill bit. I found that a titanium one works best.
    328 MAFIA

My Cars
    BMW 318ti Club Sport, Mercedes ML320
    Here is the youtube vid. This is VERY informative.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tETEtb5Yr_o[/ame]
    Do I really need a signature???

My Cars
    99M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dave45056 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tETEtb5Yr_o
    Pay close attention to when he describes how he bent the end of the hair pin which goes into the hole on the tumbler.
    OBD I manifold,conforti software,CAI, Koni suspension, Rogue SSK, X-TEC HIDs, Gen.III exhaust,DPEs

My Cars
    328is,Integra TypeR
    Guys is there a way to open a locked door on the bmw through the truck? i locked my keys inside like a !@#$ing moron.....but the hood and the truck is open, but the 2 doors arent, so what can i do to get the keys?.... i know my rear seats can come down, but i dont know how to make it come down from the trunk.

My Cars
    BWM 325is

Removing ignition cylinder without key

I need help removing a ignition cylinder but I lost the original key, is there a safer way other than drilling?

My Cars
    1995 BMW t318
    Quote Originally Posted by dave45056 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tETEtb5Yr_o
    Thank you for the time you put into this video. The issue we are having is that the key wont turn at all. It's currently stuck in the position where the dash comes on but that's it. Should this method still work?

My Cars
    93 325i vert
    op you need to turn the key to position 2
    i have been struggling with this too. still have not gotten the thing out.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M Z3

Remove ignition switch before ignition lock

I spent 4 or 5 hours over the course of a couple of months before removing my ignition lock with a spinning ignition lock syndrome. I tried the bobby pin method for hours before purchasing the tool for $60 from BMW but still did not have any luck. I finally figured out that the problem was the ignition was stuck in the on postion and needed to be in Aux (radio) position. I removed the two small screws covered with red wax holding the ignition switch. I was then able to turn the ignition with pliers. Took less than five minutes after that to get the ignition lock out with the bmw tool. Probably the bobby pin would have been fine once I got it into the AUX position. With the ignition lock removed I can see where the tab broke off and why it was rotating freely. Should be simple to install a new ignition lock. Any recommendations on where to purchase one that is keyed to my existing keys?

Now I am wondering what caused the tab on the ignition switch to break in the first place. I broke it when I tried to park and I could not turn off the engine or remove the key. I played around hard with it until I got the key out, but then I could not shut off the car. Had to put into 5th and release the clutch to stall the car. So wondering if the original problem was with ignition lock, or worn key, or bad steering lock assembly. Don't want to replace more that I have to but dont want to go through this again.

My Cars
    93 325i vert
    bring your id and your title to the dealer and they will order up an ignition tumbler that will match your key, not to pricey from what i remember

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast