Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: "Grom" brand iPod adapter for CD43 Business head unit?

My Cars
    way too many

"Grom" brand iPod adapter for CD43 Business head unit?

Has anyone tried either of the "Grom" ipod adapters. Looks like it's a direct plug-n-play for the C43/CD43 Business head unit:

http://indashpc.org/new/aux_adapters/car2aux-bmw.html

http://indashpc.org/new/ipod_adapter...-ipod-bmw.html
    Last edited by TheStigg; 09-23-2007 at 02:01 AM.
    ​"The US Olympics bobsled team has renamed their sled 'Biden' because nothing has taken America downhill faster"

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo pending
    89 535i 5-spd (may she rest in pieces)
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is

My Cars
    way too many
    Follow-up:

I decided to go ahead and try the Grom iPod adapter:

http://www.gromaudio.com

$64.95 on ebay. Simple installation, plugs directly into the back of the head unit without stringing cables to the trunk CD changer (although that is also an option). Plug & play installation with a C43/CD43 Business head unit, just have to tap 3 wires on the BMW radio connector: +12v, ground, & bus, instructions are very clear.

The black box is small enough to tuck into the dash with the head unit. The iPod cable is plenty long enough to route under the console. I fished thru the side of the tunnel & brought it up thru the side of the handbrake boot to avoid drilling any holes. All functions work exactly as described & sound quality is excellent. It only displays disk number/track number. Too bad it doesn't stream artist & title info.

(no affiliation, just a satisfied customer)
    ​"The US Olympics bobsled team has renamed their sled 'Biden' because nothing has taken America downhill faster"

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is

My Cars
    03 530i, 96 328is, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStigg View Post
    Follow-up:

I decided to go ahead and try the Grom iPod adapter:

http://www.gromaudio.com

$64.95 on ebay. Simple installation, plugs directly into the back of the head unit without stringing cables to the trunk CD changer (although that is also an option). Plug & play installation with a C43/CD43 Business head unit, just have to tap 3 wires on the BMW radio connector: +12v, ground, & bus, instructions are very clear.

The black box is small enough to tuck into the dash with the head unit. The iPod cable is plenty long enough to route under the console. I fished thru the side of the tunnel & brought it up thru the side of the handbrake boot to avoid drilling any holes. All functions work exactly as described & sound quality is excellent. It only displays disk number/track number. Too bad it doesn't stream artist & title info. (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer)
    I've been looking at their Car2Aux adapter in the hope that it will enable me to connect my ZEN Vision M directly (via a 3.5mm male/male patch cable) to my old C33 cassette radio, which will soon be replaced by a new CD43. I was wondering if it actually plugged into the radio or not but it looks like you've done it so i guess that answers my question. Since everyone says the CD43 is a direct plug-and-play replacement for the C33 cassette i presumed the CD connector for the back of the radios are the same. Do you think it would plug into a C33 exactly the same as on the CD43?

http://indashpc.org/new/aux_adapters/car2aux-bmw.html

Product details
    Car2AUX adapter, auxiliary digital interface lets you to add one of your favorite MP3 players or iPod to the existing car entertainment system.
    Connected to the CD changer port of your stereo, Car2AUX Interface will let the music from your portable device to be played through the car stereo speakers.
    Randy Walters
    '89 325is (Competition car, now sold)
    '96 328is (Weekend Fun car w/M3 suspension, just sold)
    '03 530i Sport (Spare car)
    '05 X3 3.0 (Little Woman's DD)
    '21 Mazda 3 Premium Sedan AWD (Daily Driver)
    BMW CCA & SCCA Driving Instructor
    BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
    Multiple SCCA Regional Championships

My Cars
    way too many
    If you presently have the C33 properly wired and functional, then the Car2Aux adapter will plug into the CD port on the back and function the same as for a CD43 for aux input. I'm thinking you'll eventually want to get a CD43 anyway since it has better sound quality.

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is

My Cars
    03 530i, 96 328is, E30
    If you presently have the C33 properly wired and functional, then the Car2Aux adapter will plug into the CD port on the back and function the same as for a CD43 for aux input. I'm thinking you'll eventually want to get a CD43 anyway since it has better sound quality.
    Yes my current C33 Cassette deck is functioning perfectly, but nowadays i'm not using my old cassettes anymore since i've been using my ZEN with a Cassette Adapter, so i've decided to make copies of all my CDs (in CDA format since i'm sure the CD43 is too old to read MP3 CDs) but i still want the ability to use my ZEN MP3 player or my GF's iRiver player on road trips.

My car does not have the trunk changer and is not pre-wired for it anyway, so it's good that this AUX adapter plugs directly into the radio. I am going to buy a brand new CD43 from one of the EBay vendors regardless, and this Grom unit looks like the best way to attain an AUX input.

Thank you !
    Randy Walters

My Cars
    BMW
    It'd work well for C33 cassette units, otherwise - if you have a radio capable of text display, do yourself a favor and get the DICE kit.
    Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
    email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com
    tel 866.669.0705 | ca: 714.369.8524 x22 | fax: 714.908.1796

Twitter | Flikr | Facebook | YouTube

My Cars
    way too many
    Quote Originally Posted by randywalters View Post
    . . . I am going to buy a brand new CD43 from one of the EBay vendors regardless . . .
    Does the ZEN have a low level line-out or does it plug in via the head phone jack? To get the best sound quality with the CD43, you'll eventually want to feed it a low-level signal.

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is

My Cars
    03 530i, 96 328is, E30
    Does the ZEN have a low level line-out or does it plug in via the head phone jack? To get the best sound quality with the CD43, you'll eventually want to feed it a low-level signal.
    No line level outputs, just the regular 3.5mm headphone jack. I know it's not going to give me the best sound from my ZEN, but i figure both the Grom Car2Aux adapter and the better sound quality of the CD43 will make the ZEN sound better than my current C33 and cassette adapter in the rare times that i actually use the ZEN in the car. I mostly listen to the radio, and i will be copying all my favorite CDs and play them when i want the better sound quality. The Auxiliary Input will really just be for the GF to occasionally connect her iRiver when she feels like playing "her music" and in case i want to use my ZEN as a supplementary source.

Now i gotta learn how to copy my CDs to CD-Rs in CDA format without disturbing my existing MP3 library on my PC. I've never burned CDs until a few weeks ago and all of it was in MP3 format so i'm a major noob in that department
    Randy Walters