Thread: wierd clunk/thump/bump comming from rear of car

My Cars
    93 325i, 00 wrangler

Unhappy wierd clunk/thump/bump comming from rear of car

i know alot of people are going to just say subframe bushings or rsm's but the subframe looks fine and i just changed the rsm and shocks about 500 miles ago.

ok some background. the car is a 93 325i with 250k miles (only 20k on s52 motor and zf trans). lsd diff

ever since i got it when i put it in reverse and went backward after i had gone 10-20ft or so i would hear a weird CLICK from the back. that had been going on for a few months and i didnt really care about it. as i said earlier i did shocks and struts about 500+- miles ago. car handles perfect now. i also tightened the e-brake so that it would actually engage before it hit the arm rest the other week. so taday i washed the car and took it for a drive. i had the windows up and the radio off for some reason and im crusing at about 40-45mph and i let off the gas and as soon as the motor goes into gas saving mode i hear a clunk-clunk-clunk comming from the rear. needless to say i was like WTF. when i barely taped the gas again it stoped. then when i pushed the clutch to slow down for a light it started again, downshift let off clutch noise goes away. slow to about 10 pop to neutral noise comes back in rythm with speed and tire rotation. there was no one else at the light so i got out and looked at the tires and there fine. so i hit it real hard off the light and that noise is gone now. but now when i put it in reverse i can feel like the rear is hanging up only on one side and the other wheel will want to turn and then i hear the weird clunk/thump/bump then its fine. also when i get out of the car my rear suspension on the drivers side creaks. i dont know if thats the e-brake or what but its anoying as hell.

anyone have any thoughts on any of these issues. the car still preforms perfect in forward gears and perfect in reverse after the initial hang up/clunk.

-rich

My Cars
    '01 M3 , '11 X5 35D
    Sounds like it could be a bad wheel bearing. That or it's your diff or cv joints going out.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E46, Mitsubishi
    i would change driveshaft, i has a loud clunking sound that would come and go and i replaced my driveshaft and...noise gone Good luck

Jack the rear of your car up so both rear wheels are off the ground, put some jack stands underneath, starts the car, and put it into 5th gear and see if you can hear th noise, thats how i found out where my noise was coming from

My Cars
    93 325i, 00 wrangler
    how hard is it to remove the driveshaft. i KNOW i need to replace my guibo but have heard bad things about trying to get it out. i dont have a lift so getting it high in the air is out of the question. would an impact gun fit in there?

also how hard is it to get the driveshafts out of there. are they just bolted in or is it a c-clip in the diff.

My Cars
    Many in the worshop.
    the driveshafts, u will have to remove the exhaust rear box to get that side out,think u have to unbolt the rear antiroll/sway bar as well
    The church is close, but the road is icy, The pub is far, but i will walk carefully