Thread: Car takes Extra long cranking to start!!??

My Cars
    BMW 340i (Manual)

Car takes Extra long cranking to start!!??

another problem with my E36 318i is that it takes like 2 or 3 extra seconds to start my car. i find it kinda retarded since it reminds me of my Diesel Golf, I got rid of that shit cuz Bmw was the way to go, any how. some times it even takes me 5 seconds to start my car, i know it seems short but when u are counting, its LONG, besides, i don't want to pressure my starter. so what can be wrong with it? I think its the fuel filter, but not sure though, the car has 265,XXXkm on it. by the way i got a kill switch on it.

My Cars
    92' BMW 318i
    With up to date maintanance my 92 318i has never started right up, never.

My Cars
    325i, 3/4ton Truck
    leak in the fuel system. thats what my car did when it had a fuel leak at the back.
    Becoming a Professional OT Troll . CAN Bus Project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuRBQzGs-c VGT/VNT +LDA controller: http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/

Quote Originally Posted by [B]SilverBeam[/B]
    Dude you're the biggest asshole ever. I will never reply to your texts or call you back EVER!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser
    I'm Stupid
    Diesel > gas

My Cars
    Calypsorot 328i
    My car did that because of a small air leak. Turned into air leak + new starter needed.

Replaced starter and deleted air leak and right as rain now.

My Cars
    '04 T4R '13 328i '14 i3
    check your fuel pump and filter. Also like stated above check for fuel leaks, put the key to the on position and see if you smell gas. I am not sure where the fuel rail is on the M42/44 but there should be a schrader(sp?) valve there, grab a fuel pressure gauge and see if you are getting the proper 3.5bar +/- .2bar. fuel pressure may be less for the 4pot motor, but i think most bimmers run 3.5bar.

My Cars
    97 e39 540i 94 e36 325is
    might be the starter...

Bilstein Sports/ H&R Race/ UUC Swaybarbarians/ AA ECU/ Cosmos V.2 CAI
    Custom Catback/ Depo Projectors & Clears

My Cars
    BMW 340i (Manual)
    Quote Originally Posted by united323is View Post
    check your fuel pump and filter. Also like stated above check for fuel leaks, put the key to the on position and see if you smell gas. I am not sure where the fuel rail is on the M42/44 but there should be a schrader(sp?) valve there, grab a fuel pressure gauge and see if you are getting the proper 3.5bar +/- .2bar. fuel pressure may be less for the 4pot motor, but i think most bimmers run 3.5bar.

yea possibly fuel filter, but i don't think its the fuel pump.
    any ways i did look down and tried smelling gas and it doesn't like any thing.
    but still,I want to check the pressure with the pressure gage, How would i do that and where do i get that from? because i don't like going to mechanics either since its way too $$$$

My Cars
    1997 328i
    My car takes a little while to get going, but it's only on cold starts (first start in 8+ hours) That sound more like starter/ignition? Last time the fuel filter was replaced was 12k miles ago.

I also got the whistling but I'd think if it was that, it wouldnt just give problems on cold starts.

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    If you start your car in the morning, you experience the problem with prolonged starts, correct?

If you start your car, drive to work, shut it off, and try to restart, does it start easily now?

If so, I would look into a faulty fuel pressure regulator. They tend to bleed off the residual pressure in the fuel lines over night, making it difficult to start in the morning.

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    10/96 318IS
    A pre-cat O2 sensor on it's way out will sometimes cause this on warm startup, but it's random not 100% of the time.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

My Cars
    BMW 340i (Manual)
    well when i start my car often, I.E: any thing under an hour or so, that is when the car takes extra long to start, other than that, the car starts fairly quick but not as quick as it should though. i looked underneath and there is nothing. so i'm not sure whats happening. my best guess is that it is my fuel filter, how much do they cost in canadien dollar?

My Cars
    10/96 318IS
    Many blame fuel filter for lots of stuff, Only time I ever seen a new fuel filter fix anything was on a deisel with lot's of water in the tank.
    Feul filter generaly will only reduce fuel pressure when blocked, and you'd only notice that in the upper rpms.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

My Cars
    BMW 340i (Manual)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrie View Post
    Many blame fuel filter for lots of stuff, Only time I ever seen a new fuel filter fix anything was on a deisel with lot's of water in the tank.
    Feul filter generaly will only reduce fuel pressure when blocked, and you'd only notice that in the upper rpms.
    hmm correct me if i'm wrong.so its the o2 sensors that must be replaced soon?